It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto, Dow and Biotech Firms Launch Disinformation Site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet...The most outrageous, blatant case of the foxes being put in charge of the henhouse that I have ever seen, the big biotech companies got together and launched their propaganda site GMOAnswers today. It is run by the Council for Biotechnology Information, whose members include Monsanto, Dow Chemical, DuPont, Syngenta, Bayer CropScience and BASF. The site contains a heavily moderated question and answer forum and a complete compendium of disinformation in the section called “Explore GMOs”

gmoanswers.com...
edit on 30-7-2013 by trig_grl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
We should hijack the forum and send lots of messages about the truth and expose them

Edit: I'm sure the Anti GMO team will want to know about this so they can protest on their own patch
edit on 7/30/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Awesome find, thanks for this. Time to ask impossible questions =)

I think it is a great idea to flood them with the hard questions that they cannot answer. The "science" from these company's is not public (to my knowledge). Their "science" also cannot predict the future as there are no long term 20-30+ year full spectrum ecological studies. It really is an ongoing experiment...

Not surprising to most I believe...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Can you share what is specifically disinformation please?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

We have no desire to censor or eliminate viewpoints, however content that is off-topic or that does not adhere to the House Rules will be subject to removal. We reserve the right to delete posts and comments to ensure this forum remains a safe and open place for everyone to learn the facts on GMOs and biotechnology.
gmoanswers.com...
Sort of sounds like the ATS T&Cs

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
For those who want to know a bit more on the GMO bussiness i found this interesting article by Dr. Thierry Vrain speaking about the effects of GMO on health and the environment.

Dr. Thierry Vrain, a former soil biologist and genetic scientist who for 35 years worked for Agriculture Canada, and was the designated spokesperson to assure the public of the safety of GMO crops.

GMO whistleblower: Canadian federal scientist speaks out

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

That's nice. What does it have to do with the topic?
We know there's a lot of disinfo from the anti-GMO faction.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What disinfo are you talking about? It looks like you've got some secrets to share.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The topic is the website in the OP.
Not anti-GMO claims. Maybe you can point out some of the disinfo contained within it.

edit on 7/31/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry i didn't knew that, excusez-moi monsieur
Indeed you are right, there is nothing to say on the website, it's all good info.

The biotech industry stands 100 percent behind the health and safety of the GM crops on the market today

Too bad they aren't concerned about the health and safety of the ones consuming it. Their product is more important.
edit on 31-7-2013 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Too bad they aren't concerned about the health and safety of the ones consuming it. Their product is more important.

And if there were any validity to the claims that GMOs are evil/bad/deadly/whatever, then the consumer will boycott it.

The consumer is number one when you are deriving income from consumers.

So why would they willingly and knowingly sabotage their income stream?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

And if there were any validity to the claims that GMOs are evil/bad/deadly/whatever, then the consumer will boycott it.

The consumer is number one when you are deriving income from consumers.

So why would they willingly and knowingly sabotage their income stream?

I think you have a point. This debate will not end and people will be against transgenic GMOs no matter the evidence presented.

You're right that people would boycott products they don't agree with, and I think the anti-GMO crowd would definitely not buy any product with any GMO ingredient (most everything processed.)

The problem is that consumers are unable to make an informed decision on what they buy because there are no laws requiring the labeling of products that are GMO or contain GMO based ingredients.

Do you think if GMO labeling were existent that people against GMO would buy it?

In my opinion the biotech companies don't want GMO labeling because they know they will lose money.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

I think a product should be labeled as such, yes.

I also think that the consumer has a lot more power than people give them credit for too.

Recently here in Australia, there was a big outcry over dairies using permeate in milk, so much so that just about ever milk producer in the country now sells and labels their milk as permeate free to keep the consumer happy.

The funny thing is, permeate is essentially milk, it's what's left over after making cheese.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
From the site:

The goal of this project is to build a searchable database of peer-reviewed research on the relative risks of genetically engineered crops that includes important details at-a-glance. This project, while conceived and planned over several years, officially launched in the Fall of 2012.

The actual studies themselves are not available until Phase I, which has not been launched. So, this is a promise of some science.

Rats (pardon the pun
), 14 years AFTER the release and I was hoping to get some actual reports. I review probably 15 - 18 studies a month. These should be FUN

BUT the good news is we have allocated $468 million in SAVINGS!!!!!!!!! to fund a propaganda machine.

Yay.

edit on 8-8-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join