It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Villages

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I used to visit my grandparents in the villages, fl. during the summer. I think the rule is, young people cant buy a house there. I think even 30 might be too young. There are some areas, mostly the residential neighborhoods, that you can come in as a visitor as long as you are accompanied by a resident or have applied for and received a visitors pass. Other areas, like the town center, allow anyone to freely enter.

The villages is huge. Its more like a city. But if you ever see anyone under thirty there, youre likely to see an elderly chauffeur near by. I enjoyed visiting there.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Exactly what I had in mind too

High-rise buildings, ranch houses, a shopping center, parks and roads will help simulate a real-world environment where new technologies can be tested at scale.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Anybody know of villages that have...

a) been used for clandestine experimentation

b) been taken over by a cult

c) with a high occurrence of paranormal events?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Inside the Dwarves village in China. Not really sure how I feel about it.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Interesting Post. When I have time later... I'm looking forward to reading about these ! Thx !

Coober Pedy - South Australia

Though commonly known as the opal capital of the world, Coober Pedy (an anglicised version of the Aboriginal words 'kupa piti' or 'white man in a hole') is perhaps more remarkable in that the majority of its 3,500-strong population live underground in refurbished mines. This cavernous community was built by miners sheltering from harsh daytime temperatures, and now includes an underground church, museums, potteries, shops, an art gallery and a hotel; residents emerge at night to play golf on grassless courses using illuminated balls.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is one to add to the list..hope this one wasn't posted already.
enjoy
leolady

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
One of the weirdest villages I ever visited was Chamula in Mexico. They practice a combination of Mayan an catholism, that creates a very weird mix. People sacrifice chickens in the church while drinking soda,, from fanta to coca cola. I rember walking to the back where they had a monophonic version of jingle bells on repeat with flashing Christmas lights.

There are no pews in the church, and the floor area is completely covered in a carpet of green pine boughs and soda bottles (mostly Coca Cola). Curanderos (medicine men) diagnose medical, psychological or ‘evil-eye’ afflictions and prescribe remedies such as candles of specific colors and sizes, specific flower petals or feathers, or - in a dire situation - a live chicken. The specified remedies are brought to a healing ceremony. Chamula families kneel on the floor of the church with sacrificial items, stick candles to the floor with melted wax, drink ceremonial cups of Posh, artisanal sugar-cane-based liquor, Coca Cola or Pepsi, and chant prayers in an archaic dialect of Tzotzil.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Inside the Dwarves village in China. Not really sure how I feel about it.

I think the dwarf village being used for tourist-entertainment is highly disrespectful of dwarves. I did enjoy that episode of "An Idiot Abroad" though.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Anybody know of villages that have...

a) been used for clandestine experimentation ...

Yes, but I forgot the name. It was an entire village (small town) of people working on the A-Bomb (Manhatten Project) or something for it and they ALL managed to keep everything secret and under wraps. Many had no idea what their work was used for and later realized that was themselves. It's on ATS somewhere.

en.wikipedia.org...

Oak Ridge's nicknames include the Atomic City, the Secret City, the Ridge, and the City Behind the Fence.

Oak Ridge was established in 1942 as a production site for the Manhattan Project—the massive U.S., U.K. and Canadian operation that developed the atomic bomb.

Here is one of many ATS articles on it. Atomic City Truth: An Example of a Massive and Successful 'Hush' Protocol w/ Bonus Video
edit on 31/7/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Then there is this:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Vissarion Jesus of Siberia and his 5000 dedicated followers
www.vice.com...

that was neat,

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Kid Nation A city that wasn't a city ...

The show, featuring 40 children aged 8 to 15, was filmed on location at the Bonanza Creek Movie Ranch, a privately owned town built on the ruins of Bonanza City, New Mexico, eight miles south of Santa Fe,

The producers had declared the set a summer camp rather than a place of employment, but that loophole has since been closed.

The kids elected leaders, assigned each other to chores such as running the one day a week General Store, egg gathering, cow milking etc. type of stuff ... but, they'd also had the adultish-like reality show type gaminess and challenges etc. The kids did 'sort of' run their own town for that Summer though.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
How interesting,I've only heard of the 1st one on your list.Thanks for sharing.If I hear of anysuch place I will be sure to add to your thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Colma, California, The City of the Silent
I think it's the only necropolis in America.

Colma, CA

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Kid Nation A city that wasn't a city ...

The show, featuring 40 children aged 8 to 15, was filmed on location at the Bonanza Creek Movie Ranch, a privately owned town built on the ruins of Bonanza City, New Mexico, eight miles south of Santa Fe,

The producers had declared the set a summer camp rather than a place of employment, but that loophole has since been closed.

The kids elected leaders, assigned each other to chores such as running the one day a week General Store, egg gathering, cow milking etc. type of stuff ... but, they'd also had the adultish-like reality show type gaminess and challenges etc. The kids did 'sort of' run their own town for that Summer though.

"Kid Nation" was one of my first gigs as a production assistant for the reality show. The kids actually lived in trailers, not actually on the set.

www.imdb.com...

I have worked many movies as extra, SAG-AFTRA actor, and crew at Bonanza Creek. It's not really a town but an elaborate movie set.
edit on 31-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm trying to verify this, but there was a small village in Soviet Russia called Pavlovar/Pavlodar, where the inhabitants died of a food poisoning thought to be brought by extraterrestrials.

It was called the true village of the damned, but I'm not coming up with anything

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Beautiful (not sure that's the appropriate word here) concept for a thread Sky! Sometimes it seems like ATS can be in a mundane funk, where most of the higher quality threads are focusing on more mainstream media/news, rather than looking deeper into intriguing topics with very strange peculiarities.

The type odd mystery found and the blunt presentation in your thread is exactly how my most favorite ATS threads have been built, thanks for that!!

I'm sure a lot of ATS'ers are familiar with the information you've included, but, for me, it's the first time I've seen most of it (aside from the mega ghost towns, etc). I'm suprised that, becuase of the mystery, these incidents aren't much more popular than they are currently.

EDIT:

I love to see 'Damanhur'. There was an ATS thread, several months ago, covering Damanhur and how it was built, as-well-as displaying several images of the interior. Quite amazing!

edit on 31-7-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Another town to add to your list is world famous Cassadaga, Florida. I live about 30 mikes south of this town which is just off a major interstate hwy and it's made up of psychics and mediums and is just creep as hell when you drive through there. Friends I'd mine and I would drive through on the way home from the beach at dusk and would see some strange things, like a glowing house and other creepy things. They also have ghost tours.
Here's a couple links if anyone wants to check it out:

www.hauntedamericatours.com...

cassadaga.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Check out little peoples village in Middletown Connecticut

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
When Google Maps first came about, I was really hoping that previously unknown towns would show up on the maps. I still suspect that's a possibility, but I cannot find any information on it or know of a way to discover them.

I want them to exist for a couple reasons. Firstly, I like the idea of a town developing over time outside of the influence and restrictions of society. Just from an anthropological perspective, it would be interesting. And I have heard about some similar towns. But just the notion that it was never discovered right in the middle of everything else until recently would be exciting.

Also, I just really dig the Creepy Town that is found in movies like Village of the Damned, Children of the Corn, etc. I've always wanted to happen into such a town - even if I never make it out. Just think it would be so cool. I no longer believe in the supernatural, but if it did exist, I would love for it to manifest in towns that way. .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join