It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Hastings – “Foul Play Or Not” – Do you have a plausible theory?

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
For anyone still interested, I started a new thread with the latest update from Michael Krikorian related to the Michael Hastings tragedy.
Please note that there are no real, new facts...except as regards the investigation by the LAPD.
If you prefer to discuss it, here...I am fine with that (and might prefer it) as well.
Thanks.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Rereading Michael Krikorian’s blog post, dated August 28, 2013, which postdated the coroner’s report by a week or more, and paying some bit of attention to what was stated by the LAPD lead detective on the case (Det. Connie White), I would like to offer a few observations…that have me even more disturbed (less hopeful) than before.

I have previously highlighted that LAPD said Michael Hastings was actually going to Las Vegas, that morning…and have offered various thoughts and speculations in said regard in prior posts.
LAPD, likewise, stated that “there is no strong evidence to support the claim (stated in the coroner’s report) that Hastings was using, or had ever used the hallucinogenic drug known as Dimethyltryptamine (‘___’)”…

What I would like to address, here…is the OBVIOUS lack of concern of the parties tasked with responsibility for determining the truth (even – the facts) of what happened in this matter…and, more specifically, in the final second/s caught on the security camera video.

In a sense, they got the first part right – “The beginning of the end of the car’s fatal path…is the slight rise and fall at the crossroads of Highland and Melrose…”

They, then, grow lax…and state – “At the speed…conservatively estimated at 80 mph…”
– which lets us know…they didn’t count “determining the car’s speed” important enough to take the time (by examining the video – or, applying forensic mathematics to the physical marks/scars left on the roadway in front of the Pizzeria Mozza’s valet station) to find out.

Seems like that department is no more professional than a chat room…where a handful to dozens of participants each offer their off-the-cuff guesses…and the lead detective chooses the one that fits best (or – most easily) with their political belief/agenda*.

Then, she is correct in saying – “…the first blip of light on the video (referring to the ‘flash’) is the brakes…” (or - more accurately - the brake lights)

She, however, is entirely wrong on “where” the flash took place (believing it to have taken place on the roadway – “sending the car into the swerve that sends it into the curb”), and “when” (in the sequence of events) the flash took place.

And then, further compounds the asinine explanation, by making the observation that the front driver-side wheel “tore off” when said wheel met the curb…and then, the car drove over the wheel, causing not only “the flash”, but the oft-questioned raising of the car’s rear end.

Every bit of this “hypothesis” is moronic.
We can tell from the physical aftermath that the wheel did not sheer-off prior to the front end arriving at the tree.
But, even without that confirmation, the rear end had begun rising PRIOR TO the first “blip of light” (which she ascribed to the brakes sending the car into a swerve…that sent the car into the curb), and thus, “the flash”.

What’s my point?
Who are we told to look to…for “the Official Story”?

If you, or some member of your family…were to die mysteriously, in a one car accident…and those officially responsible (and paid by your taxes) for determining where fault lay in the matter – cared no more about arriving at a reasonable, provable answer to the questions that surrounded the mystery, than has been shown by the LAPD in this widely publicized story… WHY WOULD YOU – OR ANYONE – EVER have confidence in The Official Story…again?

Just calling something “the Official Story” should result in roars of laughter and cries of derision…from this time forward.

How could they care so little about their reputation/s…?

I am bewildered.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

If he ran over his own front tire which caused the back end of the car to lift off the ground. Then where is the tire? It should be in this photo.

i.dailymail.co.uk...

His tire was most likely crammed into the floor at the drivers feet. If he ran it over it should be in the road or the side walk where he came from which is in this picture. You can see all the way to the ADT truck parked in the road. You can see what is before the ADT truck by watching the video from Loud Labs and they never drove past a tire and rim. Magical car parts on a Mercedes I guess. Motors that fly and tires and rims that run away.

The item just behind the car in this photo is the exhaust.
edit on 19-10-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I don't know exactly where the tire/wheel ended up...
In the LoudLabs video - I thought I was this one...

I have read reports, however, stating that the tire ended up in the median past Clinton St. ...
I can only imagine that the LAPD would consider the picture, above...to have been the tire -- and that, after the car "drove over" it, it bounced up, and rolled down the block a little bit, before coming to rest against that brick wall.
If, however, the reports (which, I seem to recall, having been from the LAPD) of the tire coming to rest past Clinton St. are accurate -- there's no way, the car rolled over it...and made its way that far down the street.
But - again - if the wheel sheered-off when meeting the curb...where's the gouging of median-turf...to the tree?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

That really makes no sense at all.

The tire is on the wrong side of the street. Tire is by the O in loudlabs. The motor is at the bottom of the screen. Car is in the distance. Strange. And it does not look mangled like it was ran over. Hell I don't even see the rest of the A arm spindle and brakes missing with the tire?

goo.gl...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Looking at this picture again. That does not look like the tire. The tire would have been a 225/45R17.
8.85 inches wide. The picture looks bigger than that.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

It also does not look like a tire that has been ran over at 80 mph? Not sure what one would look like after that?
edit on 20-10-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why was he driving so fast…where he was driving so fast…when he was driving so fast…?

There is, and has been from the start, a problem that conspiracy theories & theorists have had to contend with, for any rational explanation of the events to pass a reasonable standard of plausibility…

That ‘problem’ being illustrated, as follows:
1. How could “the bad guys” know Michael Hastings would be in his car at such an odd hour, on that particular day?
You may not consider this a “problem”, if you think there’s some way this “assassination” could have been carried out, by a single/sole operator. I do not see that as a possibility…in 99% of the scenarios available.

If he’s not in his car, driving, well before 6 a.m. – the chance that car-hack-attack would result in the extreme speed/s…grows improbable, as too much traffic would be on the road – and the Mercedes would not have been able to attain such speed/s.

The first evidence we have of his location and direction of travel, suggests that he could have been “coming from” his apartment (if the apartment was a few miles north of Santa Monica’).
Had he travelled another mile (or so) south on North Highland’, then turned right (west), and gone another mile (+), he would have been at the Los Angeles offices of BuzzFeed (his employer).

As was stated, before, LAPD let a tidbit slip to Michael Krikorian, a week or so after the publication of the Coroner’s report…saying – MH was actually going…to Las Vegas, that morning.
We know – one of his brothers was already in L.A., and another was scheduled to arrive later, the day of the crash…
With one brother in town (from the Northeast, presumably), and another flying in (from the Northeast, presumably)…and, with their ‘later-reported’ intent being…to coax him into rehab — – — why was he leaving town…?
And…why…at such an hour?

As first brought to our attention (August 8, 2013) by MindBodySpiritComplex, one of MH’s former (apparent) online antagonists – Ron Brynaert (@ronbryn) – was fairly concerned with the lack of public concern shown by BuzzFeed, and had a theory that MH was not assassinated…but rather, “spooked by a bogus source”.

I don’t hold to that theory in its entirety…but do see an off-shoot that might present a plausible explanation to the questions presented above…

If the “going to Las Vegas” info is correct…is it possible that a source (or – a bogus source) could have contacted him…said “meet me in Las Vegas if you want such & such story” tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.”…and thus…the stage is set?
Now, they know he’ll be trying to get to the airport well before the streets start cluttering with morning rush-hour traffic… And – can prepare to enact the car-hack.

If he had arranged for the earliest flight out of LAX (probably 6:25 a.m.), he would probably have been heading that way around 4 (to 4:30) a.m. …

If he was heading for LAX – southbound on North Highland Avenue, through Hollywood, was not a good choice.
It was a terrible choice.
The “101” was the obvious choice, given “where” we know he was, when driving.
… …unless he needed to pick something up at BuzzFeed’s offices.

The mere fact that he had been working at BuzzFeed in Los Angeles, since, at least, February, should be evidence-enough to conclude that he would have been familiar with this stretch of roadway…
…would have been familiar with the transition from business to residential.
…would have been familiar with the dip-rise-&-fall of Melrose’…
He WOULD NOT have been surprised by the slight constriction of lanes after Melrose’…

If we were certain of the “going to Las Vegas” information…
If we knew that a flight had been booked…and when said flight was ‘booked’…
We could move forward…

Is the horse dead?
Why has ‘not one solid bit of information’ come forth in this case, since the coroner’s reports (and, the following week, from Michael Krikorian)?
Why is NO ONE attempting to bring the questions to resolution?

Thanks for remaining interested!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Some interesting speculation there WanDash. It makes more sense than most. I particularly like your idea of MH being familiar with this street. I had not found Buzfeed office location before. I found a story about an office opening at Beverly Blvd and Fuller on Sept 3. Was this the location of the office on 6/18/13 ? It makes perfect sense that he was driving towards the office.

Up stream you all were discussing the tire and wheel location. You have a picture of the tire in a picture from LL. It is on the sidewalk of on the west side of Highland. (Beside brick wall) I believe the LAPD claims the wheel was found just south of Clinton in the center median of Highlands. The drivers side front tire and wheel must have separated from each other as well as the car.

Check out these photos by ballcoachray1. www.flickr.com/photos/100340380@N08

Based on the pictures of the water back flow taken on 6/28/13 I think a mark was left on the concrete that appears to be made by the rim. IMO the tire may have separated the rim at the curb. The rim or wheel separated the car at tree impact. Could a tire go under the car? I have never seen a separated tire go under a moving vehicle. If it did go under the car could it cause the release of fuel sufficient to start the fire observed on the surveillance tape?

I still find it difficult to believe Mercedes has not released info concerning this "accident". If there is evidence that proves foul play it probably resides in that car or the computer system it was communicating with prior to impact. I wonder if any of his family has tried to have the car independently analyzed?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by barabajagal

Some interesting speculation there WanDash. It makes more sense than most. I particularly like your idea of MH being familiar with this street. I had not found Buzfeed office location before. I found a story about an office opening at Beverly Blvd and Fuller on Sept 3. Was this the location of the office on 6/18/13 ? It makes perfect sense that he was driving towards the office.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention (Sept 3). I had recalled, from another conversation on this site that BuzzFeed’s offices were only a mile or two from the crash-site, and, since this was the only address I found, I assumed it to be the one they were talking about.
And, now – pursuant to a little digging…I found the post, dated July 12, 2013…and see that the BuzzFeed offices, at the time of the tragedy, were apparently at the same location… …as can be seen in this blow-up of the map shown in the miner49r post referenced above. Note that the map is flipped (north/south).

Up stream you all were discussing the tire and wheel location. You have a picture of the tire in a picture from LL. It is on the sidewalk of on the west side of Highland. (Beside brick wall) I believe the LAPD claims the wheel was found just south of Clinton in the center median of Highlands. The drivers side front tire and wheel must have separated from each other as well as the car.

I thought LAPD placed the wheel in the median south of Clinton, as well. And, I agree with JBA2848, that the “object” in front of the brick wall, does not seem to be of the correct dimensions, to have been said wheel/tire.

Check out these photos by ballcoachray1. www.flickr.com/photos/100340380@N08

Interesting! What is more interesting, to me, are the attempts to identify (locate) the driver in the LoudLab shots, at Santa Monica’.

Based on the pictures of the water back flow taken on 6/28/13 I think a mark was left on the concrete that appears to be made by the rim. IMO the tire may have separated the rim at the curb. The rim or wheel separated the car at tree impact. Could a tire go under the car? I have never seen a separated tire go under a moving vehicle. If it did go under the car could it cause the release of fuel sufficient to start the fire observed on the surveillance tape?

Where are you seeing this “mark…on the concrete”? Can you give some estimation…so I can compare with the 6/20/2013 video taken by 5a55yfish?
While I’m sure it’s possible for the tire to have been separated from the rim upon meeting the curb – why only the front driver-side tire? The angle of ascension would have been virtually/nearly the same for all wheels, with little difference in the effective speed (momentum or velocity). I’m not arguing or contesting…just need to review & compare (with other shots).

I still find it difficult to believe Mercedes has not released info concerning this "accident". If there is evidence that proves foul play it probably resides in that car or the computer system it was communicating with prior to impact. I wonder if any of his family has tried to have the car independently analyzed?

I don’t think the family will be able to a get a full analysis…even if…since SSgt Biggs acquired some “parts” of the car (I believe – components of the engine…?), and was going to have them analyzed/tested. Have heard nothing since the news of him saying the “parts” had arrived.

ETA: After reviewing the photos from ballcoachray1, I see (or - I think I see) what you're saying about the mark left on the concrete pad surrounding the water pipe. A number of strange things to consider, though, with regard to that...if it is the correct interpretation of said photo. Think I'll make those observations in a subsequent post.
Thanks!

edit on 10/25/2013 by WanDash because: Further Review

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Regarding the “mark” you pointed to in the photo found here…I’m not certain what to make of it.
It does seem/look like it could be precisely what you’ve translated – and, if it is – I have to wonder how the metal-mesh utility cover didn’t fly directly into one of the homes on the east side of the street.
Because – that would place the driver-side front wheel/rim meeting the utility cover almost directly on its northwest corner. And, anyone who has played billiards/pool, knows what happens when two objects meet in such a fashion.

Either that – or…could “the groove” be evidence of the “utility cover” shoved across the concrete block?
The reason I’m not sure is – you quoted a photo-date of 6/28/2013. The video shot by 5a55yfish was taken on 6/20/2013 (2 days after)…and, while the quality of the picture isn’t as sharp as what you’ve shown…there are many many opportunities to view said concrete pad…and from a variety of angles, and – the “mark” or “groove” is not easily identifiable…at all (imo)…in said video.

One reason I’m considering the “groove” to have possibly been evidence of the utility cover being shoved/drug across the concrete, is – it does not appear to travel in a straight line. It appears to have some curvature.
Even if the car had slowed to 100 mph at this point…I cannot imagine a change in direction coming about, on that microcosmic a scale. I could see the utility cover crumpling, bending, jerking, gouging, and, in general…”finding its groove”…but it’s hard to visualize the wheel-rim leaving such a mark.

With as many people as were taking photos of “the scene” in those first couple of days…and some of them being professional photographers…taking the photos…on assignment – why do we have to do so much digging and pilfering to find pertinent, quality pic’s of the ground and street leading up to the tree? Were they only interested in the memorial flowers and notes left on the tree? I Do Not Get It.

If we consider your thought – that the tire separated from the wheel (rim) when meeting the median-curb…and that the “groove” is evidence of the same – it doesn’t change a lot of what we’ve conjectured heretofore. Might give a little more impetus to the suggestion that the rear-end could have started rising as a result of hitting the utility cage, while the car was already slightly off-balance (with a “blown tire”). Still sends the car into the tree with an almost identical angle of impact. Still begs the question – how did the engine fly to the southwestern end of the block.

But – anyway. I’ll let some of this sink in. Maybe a new vision will arise.
Thanks for your input and thoughts!!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I have noticed the rear axle shifted on the car.

Rear tire pushed back.

Now on the other side it is pushed forward and the car body is damaged?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I also thought this was strange.

That appears to be part of the front bumper that is attached to the frame.

If he hit a tree head on it would have bent. Even if it was on a angle it would have been bent.

How did it get the way it is. And remember a engine went through it? Or did something happen that blew the wheel and frame rail apart that then dislodged the engine? Bomb maybe? Some how that piece of meal survived a engine going through it. A tree going through it. And is just sitting there in plain sight as a true mystery?

I also found these pics. The first one I think I have seen.

But I never seen the unedited version.

Why did they edit every photo out there? They added trees and did all kinds of things? Where are the unedited ones?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I agree that my speculation does not effect the speed of impact very much. You may be correct that the mark was made by the dragging/scraping of the cage. It could have been made by equipment used when the water leak was capped. Good point about the groove mark not being straight. The width of the groove seems rather narrow to me. Obviously I have doubts about my own speculation.

Adrian22 who has contributed here occasionally has visited the scene numerous times and talked with several of the residents on the block. She said the cage ended up in a yard on the east side of the street close to Clinton. Probably corner house or next to it. Also a shard of the PVC piping ended up empelled into a tree in the yard of one of those homes. Strangely the cage dissapeared for a few days following the accident. Then reappeared at its original location in its damaged condition as seen in photos. I doubt if this was the work of officials. I speculate that the neighbor kept it for a few days then put it back.

I have not scene the video by 5A55ysh. Can you provide a link? I guess you can tell I am not very good on computers. I do not know how to show all these links and take quotes out of postings. I admire folks like you who seem to make this stuff look easy. I was not aware that SSgt Biggs had acquired parts. Where did he write about that?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Nice observation about the rear axle shift. I think it could be explained by bending of frame in high speed impact.

The bumper bar is more difficult to understand. Part of it may be missing. It is difficult to tell in photos. The draping of the hood (why?) makes it difficult to observe many things that could be helpful. IMO the security video shows evidence of a non natural explosion immediately after impact. IMO the photos of the damage support that observation. There appears to be evidence of damage caused by exploding out damage, relatively little crumpling in.

I think many of the photos that appear to be edited may be the result of the use of telephoto lenses distorting the distances of objects. The accident scene was secured (taped off) by daylight. LAPD was blocking access from Melrose to Rosewood.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Here is the 5a55yfish video.
I think it's about 15 minutes in length. She doesn't really get into retracing the path (or - the presumed path) until probably 7 or 8 minutes into it... But - there are many opportunities to look at various points of interest through the course of it.

You can find the "tweet" where SSG Joe Biggs (@Rambobiggs) said "Just got parts in from Hastings blown up engine. Time to get these to the lab for testing". Dated August 27, 2013 - 5:13 PM (from South Carolina, US).

I am probably just as "in the air" with whether the "groove" was made by the tire/rim, gouging of the utility cage or some other unrelated culprit. I'm glad you brought it up. Glad to know someone is looking.
My own thoughts are - if that groove had been made by the rim going across it...the point where the rim first "met" it, would probably show a more pronounced evidence of the impact (coming from an inch or so below the lip of the concrete slab)...and I am not seeing it (yet).

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

What do you make of this document. I am curious if you have seen it or not?

Page 84 by the browser page 59 on the image though.

www.documentcloud.org.../p8/Michael%20Hastings

Seems DHS, FPS were contacting him on OWS?
Department Of Homeland Security, Federal Protective Service, Occupy Wall Street?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

In the crash test you posted (at 50 mph), there was obvious structural crumpling taking place on the driver's side.
The video didn't show enough detail of the passenger side, to be able to tell.
As you say - there is significant crumpling of the passenger rear quarter.
I will take your word for it...on the rear axle shifting.
While this may have no bearing on what you've highlighted - I am betting that - if he was travelling at the speeds I've grown to accept (130+ mph) when hitting the Melrose rise...the bottoming-out on the Melrose rise, and subsequent bottoming-out when the vehicle landed (in front of the valet station of Pizzeria Mozza) could have loosened a few bolts, welds, joints...something.
Don't see it causing the rear axle to shift - but - still don't REALLY see how the engine made it past the tree...either.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Coach spent much effort trying to observe the driver at Santa Monica crossing. I spent more time with this than I care to admit. I concluded it is beyond the technology of the film to make meaningful conclusions. Cameras record images at varying speeds. When you take a picture of a moving object there is going to be distortion. I tried to observe an image in the 2 vehicles that followed the Mercedes through the intersection. I could not get an image in the jeep. I did get a image in the blue (Taxi?). Both of these vehicles were much slower moving and the taxi was in the lane closest to the camera.

I appreciate your efforts at trying to determine the speed of impact and the amount of detail you showed in breaking down the surveillance video. I think Naomi's efforts were awesome as well. I suspect both of you know more about that tape than LAPD. I agree with you that LAPD investigation has been very inadequate and they have not given anybody a reason to believe their conclusions.
Without knowing the number of frames per second that the surveillance camera was recording at; the number of frames per second the camera phone that made the copy was recording at; speed of playback; IMO it is impossible to accurately estimate the speed of impact. Same with the observed explosion. If Krikorian had provided this info and more tape that could give us comparisons it would have much more meaning.

Det White has been given many more cases since this event. Workload is an effective method of controlling outcomes. This event is quickly fading away.

BuzzFeed sure seems to be moving on. I wonder if they were happy with the work MH was doing for them. There seems to be a large difference in MH interests and style of journalism than what BuzzFeed usually produces.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

JBA2848
reply to post by WanDash

What do you make of this document. I am curious if you have seen it or not?

Page 84 by the browser page 59 on the image though.

www.documentcloud.org.../p8/Michael%20Hastings

Seems DHS, FPS were contacting him on OWS?
Department Of Homeland Security, Federal Protective Service, Occupy Wall Street?

Thanks.
Hadn't seen it.
Am considering it, and will get back when it's had time to settle.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

barabajagal
Coach spent much effort trying to observe the driver at Santa Monica crossing. I spent more time with this than I care to admit. I concluded it is beyond the technology of the film to make meaningful conclusions...

I've been unable to extrude an image that shows the driver, either.
Maybe expected - maybe not.
Every spot where light on the other side of the vehicle should give a silhouette...is conveniently 'just missed' in the video.

I agree with you that LAPD investigation has been very inadequate and they have not given anybody a reason to believe their conclusions.

I have been too vocal on my frustration. I am going on what has been made public. There is still a chance that they could have salvaged the investigation...if, at some/any point, they considered that an investigation was actually in order.
Otherwise - perhaps I (or we, or some "interested group") will put some extra effort into settling some of the questions. I really don't want to go to L.A. ...but... guess we'll see.

Without knowing the number of frames per second that the surveillance camera was recording at; the number of frames per second the camera phone that made the copy was recording at; speed of playback; IMO it is impossible to accurately estimate the speed of impact. Same with the observed explosion. If Krikorian had provided this info and more tape that could give us comparisons it would have much more meaning.

I believe a fairly accurate estimation on "speed" could be achieved with 'comparison' video from Pizzeria Mozza. I do not understand 'why' that has not been made available. Just a daytime, unhindered view of the that same stretch of road would be enough...

Det White has been given many more cases since this event. Workload is an effective method of controlling outcomes. This event is quickly fading away.

Thanks for bringing this to light. Couldn't have said it better.
Yeah - 'quickly fading'.

BuzzFeed sure seems to be moving on. I wonder if they were happy with the work MH was doing for them. There seems to be a large difference in MH interests and style of journalism than what BuzzFeed usually produces.

Each point you make, here - - - - - !
In some regards - it's as if they cared only as much about his death...as how much they could capitalize on it... Doesn't seem that they have cared past a couple of early comments about "WHAT HAPPENED?"
But --- Everybody needs a job. Just - fill the post...and, wait for the next story to capitalize on...

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join