It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Chanels Naked and Afraid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AthiestJesus

It sounds like that doesn't it? lol Out there it is about survival and anyone preoccupied with the fact we are naked rather than planning a priority list is no good. Drus gets it and I bet we could do well as a team.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I have seen a few episodes and it is better than some but it still is a person showing how to survive rather than Live. spending all your time surviving is forgetting it is but a step towards living. I will check out more episodes though and thank you for bringing it in.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by AthiestJesus

It sounds like that doesn't it? lol Out there it is about survival and anyone preoccupied with the fact we are naked rather than planning a priority list is no good. Drus gets it and I bet we could do well as a team.

Yeah , and I bet you want to be the big spoon too huh

On a serious note , I find clothes more offensive than the naked body , it`s like we`re submitting to other humans just so we can "fit-in".

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEthicalSkeptic

I don't doubt I'd make mistakes or just completely overlook something.

There is, of course, the whole matter of conditioning. How are people getting sunburned if they've spent any amount of time outside? How are they cutting up their feet? How are they getting infections?
I have not watched the show, but, it sounds to me like these people are relatively unconditioned, haven't spent much if any time outdoors, baking in the sun, padding about barefoot, getting cuts and scrapes of all kinds building up their immune systems, actually DOing even primitive camping on-trail at that, and they lay claim to 'survivalist' skills they've only learned from the internet.

Conditioning is important.

If these people are being dropped off all over the planet, I'd be at a disadvantage in climes where I'm not familiar with the flora and fauna.
Drop me anywhere in the USA, and I'll take off running with a smile.
It'd be rough, of course, and I'd suffer without the usual gear, but, I'm not unfamiliar with roasted junebug, missing meals, scrapes and cuts, or danger close wild animal encounters.

Other places, I might be too cautious knowing what I know about all the little things that are more apt to kill you, in comparison to the bigger things, and that caution might work against me.
I'll have to watch the show to see what these people are doing.

I might even learn something!

EDIT: I've downloaded the first episode and though only halfway through watching it, that guy, he's a total princess. I don't know how many times he's said "I almost died". He's very definitely got an exaggerated opinion of self worth, and has a propensity for inflating his perception of what contributions he actually has made, though very little other than populating the jungle with copious complaining.
If they could eat his whining, and complaining, they'd have been feasting the whole time.
That guy is an example of exactly why I'd want to go it solo.

edit on 29-7-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ive watched it as well. As far as being alone out there....I cant help thinking while I was watching them struggle in the wild-oh-my-gosh-we-could-DIE-out-here...of the 20 or so production assistants standing there with them. Camera crews, sound engineer, lighting techs, gaffers, grips, production assistants and yes..medical.

As such...I find it hard to really see them "struggling to survive"...all the while the crew could give 'em a blanket and a sandwich.

Jsut sayin....

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by StoutBroux
The main thing I have noticed is that all the men are weak. Weak as in making dumb decisions and then their well being is placed in jeopardy. Weak as in wussies.

As someone who has watched all the episodes so far I'm in total agreement...except for one episode. The one set in the Louisiana swamp saw the man doing an equal share or more and they worked as a team the whole time. The episode you speak of I have a feeling if the woman wasn't with him, he'd been dead the first day. Especially when he stood there and watched her eat the urchin when he was complaining of being so hungry. In a survival situation if it's edible you EAT IT!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think the show is just an excuse to show naked people on t.v. lol. The one thing you are likely to be stranded with are the clothes you're wearing.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The wife and I have come to the same conclusion. Just don't understand the need for them to be naked. Other than no shoes it doesn't really make surviving more difficult IMO. Still like the show though. I watch because I like survival shows..the wife watches because she likes laughing at the butts and whiny men.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I think the show is just an excuse to show naked people on t.v. lol. The one thing you are likely to be stranded with are the clothes you're wearing.

Possibly...but it is a good gimmick, have to give them that. I've been meaning to check this out. I've watched Survivor since day 1, and this show looks just as interesting. I'd love to give either show a go, but I'm not exactly the boy toy they are likely to put on such shows, hehe.... The nudity thing isn't an issue...I'm still surprised in this day and age, we're somehow made to feel ashamed by it. Granted, I don't think we should be naked all day, there are practical concerns, but then the idea of swimming with clothes on just doesn't make any sense whatsoever, etc.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Its my opinion that most if not all of these people chosen lack major survival skills. Example: the guy who got sunburned the very first day, instead of trying to combat the problem by making some kind of coverage out of banana leaves, he lays done on the sand, and just complains. Or the couple that hear a wild bore in the jungle and get down out of the saftey of the raised shelter to go and have a look, dangerous. And how about the guy in your youtube link, who was asleep only for the shelter to catch fire, and almost burn him alive. He was only saved due to his partener coming back just in time to wake him. Im a guy and I feel that most of the women way way outperform the men in all of these shows except a couple of them. The women seem to think outside the box, while the guys seem to have this bravado of were doing this way, I really like the clothes that one gal made to stay covered up from being burned using weaved vines. Thinking outside the box is a great way to keep ahead of the mess and pain of surviving in tose scenarios. I would love to try this type of survival show, minus the naked part, amazing the before and after pics of the toll taken on the human body.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Ive watched it as well. As far as being alone out there....I cant help thinking while I was watching them struggle in the wild-oh-my-gosh-we-could-DIE-out-here...of the 20 or so production assistants standing there with them. Camera crews, sound engineer, lighting techs, gaffers, grips, production assistants and yes..medical.

As such...I find it hard to really see them "struggling to survive"...all the while the crew could give 'em a blanket and a sandwich.

Jsut sayin....

Actually they did show the crew, and its only 4 people, quite a small group for such a show as this.
edit on 30-7-2013 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think the show is great, it is a scream! My husband and I watch it together every week. After watching the show filmed in Costa Rica and LA we decided that was really difficult. We would not want to camp out in our own back yard here in SC. We have snakes, poisonous snakes, turtles, rabbits, raccoons, deer, coyotes, bugs, birds (including eagles, hawks, wild turkey). The neighbors have free range chickens. Since the pioneer days we have all gotten lazy, soft, and stupid about simple survival techniques. Sleeping outdoors and traveling by horse across the country and catching dinner every night with clothes on was difficult for the pioneers. It is an interesting show for many reasons. I am thrilled it is on cable!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I've watched it. As has been said, the naked part is a gimmick, and it seems to work based on the ratings. I can't really imagine a real survival situation where one would be stranded naked.

That aside, it's really been an eye opener for me... not in how to survive (in that respect the show is actually sort of funny), but in how clueless even so-called survival experts can be in a real life situation. Walking in the sun even after feeling the effects of sunburn (which leads to Vitamin D poisoning, not a pleasant experience... had it one time, and one time was enough), drinking unpurified water (stooooooopid!), not making some sort of makeshift shoes (feet are a good thing), poor planning (rules of three, people!), and complaining about being hungry when surrounded by food (that guy had a great opportunity for a 3-4 foot boa - assumed size from the shots - and was scared of it... boas are not poison and that one was big enough to eat but not big enough to easily kill you. Snake meat is awesome), are all examples of what NOT to do.

It's actually making me feel better about the coming economic collapse. Seems like there will be quite a goodly number of corpses to pick supplies from. Please watch this show and learn what not to do so you're not among them.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That's the one thing that kills me watching survival shows....

"I'm hungry"...

Dolt! You're SURROUNDED by FOOD!!!

I mean, I'm not even by the water, but not even considering our soon to be garden, if I was content to eat frogs, I'd NEVER starve. Add in some dandelions, some tangerines growing in the yard...etc.

Bugs may not be delicious, but beats starving. One guy on Survivor got a boar once. I'm like YEAH! (then he falls in the fire).

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's the thing that got me to turn off Les Stroud... he may be good in the colder areas, but he tried the Okefenokee once... walked around worrying about finding food, while also worrying that there's gators nearby (gator meat is awesome and small ones are easily trapped), worrying he might be "reduced" to eating snake, and wondering what he can use for baiting catfish while stomping through a puddle of dead small fish complaining they're not edible. They certainly are to a catfish! The things will hold a raffle to see who gets that delicacy.

Of course the real facepalm came when he built a raft... it fell apart ten feet form shore. He didn't have it lashed close to strong enough.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady

Nothing has beaten the first few seasons of Survivorman in my opinion. Dude is out there by himself.

Agreed. That guy had to expend energy just to get wide panorama shots and good footage or he was out of a job. He was not just surviving...he was also doing everything else to make it a good show!

No contest, Survivorman was as good as it gets. I hate that Man vs. Wild guy who stayed in hotels and ate between shootings etc.

How did Bear Grylls ever become so famous? Because he was younger and good looking and less entertaining and less authentic?..Must be it, that seems to be a standard formula for fame.
edit on 30-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

That is so weird. This was the exact same name and theme for my honeymoon.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

And just speaking from personal experience, this is NOT a good theme to adopt when going to a job interview.

Unless the job is in congress.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I think most people are underestimating the naked aspect. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's also an extreme hardship. Being cold for prolonged amounts of time will really take a toll on you. Add in damp/moist night air, and the lack of clean drinking water, and you will feel like crap very quick.

I like the idea of the show - I would rate it a 8.5 out of 10. However, they are editing the show to show the survivors at their best, and worst, moments (mostly their worst), and in doing so, it will make the survivors seem like idiots, if you are unaware of the hardships of being cold, and not having an adequate diet.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Oh hai!

Think I will run around naked on tv and do some 'survival stuff' on tv and act like a caveman!

Not going to watch that show no sirrrie bob.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join