It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was burglar

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I think that we need to take a page from the days of our parents, and is to scare the kids to behaving. While growing up, there was no second chance programs, if anything the fear was if I got into trouble, I would stay there until I was released from jail. And even then the tales I would be told about jail was that it was not a pleasent place to be.

I think that they need to take a page from Sherrif Joe's play book on runnnig a jail, and the rework the laws in favor of parenting, and see how fast children behave.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

We haven't been neutered. We've ensured the vast majority of cops don't have ready access to firearms, giving us time to get mob-handed and swamp any threat should the need arise, and we've also convinced our military we really appreciate them, and that it's the govt they should be blaming for not being correctly kitted out or being adequately trained.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by butcherguy

Some teens are especially problematic and need to learn some lessons the hard way. Killing them doesn't teach them a thing.

Correct.
The shooting wasn't meant to be a lesson.
It was a man protecting his family, his property and himself.

Maybe some other troubled teen will see a lesson in it. Maybe some parents will take their children aside and tell them, this is what can happen when your try to steal from other people in the middle of the night.

Do you think that this child didn't know that he was doing something wrong? It wasn't his first time.
edit on 29-7-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It wasn't his first time.

I don't particularly care how many homes he was able to break into. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he was a violent threat, unless you believe that being on your property alone is a violent threat itself. If I was awake and aware of the threat and also had a gun at the ready, that person isn't going to be much of a threat at all. I certainly wouldn't be jittery enough to shoot him because his hand went into a pocket. You've got the drop on him, and he has to take any gun out and aim it, before it is any threat to you.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by christoph

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
all problems with teens over the last 30yrs, started when they started arresting parents and taking their children away for whipping them.
you can say what you want, but i know that when i was in my early to late teens, i was a delinquent.
and would have been much worse if it wasn't for the one thing that always popped in my head before i did something.

What if Momma finds out! i was more afraid of what she would do vs the law.
edit on 29-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

so true. i am 25 years old and i actually used to try to scare my parents into letting me do what i wanted saying things like, if you hit me i'm telling the school you beat me so they take me away. i wasn't the only one who did this though everyone in my school was doing it. weird, a lot of people around here are troublemakers who steal things from people too.

my step daughter tried that, her momma put some fire on that young girls ass and told her to go tell the school.
we never heard any thing from them.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
www.utsandiego.com...

any one remember this case from earlier in the year? these parents not only understand why their son was shot they forgave the home owner who shot their son because they did not know what they would have done in their place had it happened to them.and in this case it was an honest to god mistake that was brought on mostly due to drunkenness not failures on the parents behalf but others might disagree with that statement

Caleb’s mother said Tuesday that she believed the shooting was an accident. “I don’t even blame the gentleman,” Jennea Gordley said. “I don’t know what I would have done.” Caleb had been grounded Saturday night, so he sneaked out of the house to attend a party in the neighborhood, his father said.
least these parents tried to instil discipline
but no charges were filed against the home owner in this case so it is a bit different from the ops original topic

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I'm pretty sure there's an entire website devoted to such fear mongering. Probably called Guns R Us, or something equally dumb.

that's not what was addressed. what was addressed was a statement you pulled of of thin air that was nothing but bs. that you tried to make sound like it was a fact.

this one,

Criminals who have guns don't use them to threaten Joe and Josephina Public to hand over their 52" screen tv, and other much more easily gained items, they use them for professional crimes like drug dealing/taxing and other blags on places with high cash flows.

show me something that backs this up. or again do you not have anything thing, but snide comments, and made up bs.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'm going by 40 years of experience on the periphery of the kinds of people who use guns for their criminal endeavours. Ymmv. What experience do you have with criminal elements, again? Oh, you know people who've shot at them? Well, that trumps everything I know, then.

edit on 29-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Stop calling it a CHILD. This creature is not a CHILD. Did you see the picture? I'd guess he was thirty years old, and a HARD thirty. This is a filthy THUG, and even his family admits a "professional thief" i.e. criminal.
www.nola.com...

Imagine THAT "kid" scaling an eight foot wall and coming in and right at you at 2 AM. Tell me you wouldn't shoot if you could. You would expect him to have a gun. Are you going to wait to find out the hard way?

What else do you recommend? Running away? Have you ever heard of home invasion?
edit on 29-7-2013 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm going by 40 years of experience on the periphery of the kinds of people who use guns for their criminal endeavours. Ymmv.

that still doesn't prove your statement. i'm going on 40yrs. of it my self. and at least 5 of those were as a delinquent.
i knew people who broke into homes and carried guns during those break in's.

due to the grace of God, i was brought out of that and didn't wind up as a statistic.
so again i ask you to prove your statement.

or quit making up things. to try and prove a point that you know is wrong.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I'm going by 40 years of experience on the periphery of the kinds of people who use guns for their criminal endeavours.

You've been a criminal, hang around criminals and it seem as though you defend criminal behavior. Many just don't agree with making it easier on the criminals.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I was a delinquent too, and was placed in your equivalent of juvie hall at age 13, and was doing 3 years for a stabbing and a bar fight at 17. I've known criminals nearly all my life, and they aren't all scumbags deserving of a bullet 24/7, or even when they are operating in an earning capacity. It's hardly surprising that your criminals might be more inclined to carry a gun, when they know at least one in three of the population is likely to have one. Criminals are practical people. They don't take a bazooka on a job where all they need is a crowbar.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Did I say I hang around with them? My claim is to have known enough of them that I have a good grasp of their mentality in most cases. You want to make out they are all budding cartel proteges just so you can sleep easier if you ever decide to shoot one.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I was a delinquent too, and was placed in your equivalent of juvie hall at age 13, and was doing 3 years for a stabbing and a bar fight at 17. I've known criminals nearly all my life, and they aren't all scumbags deserving of a bullet 24/7, or even when they are operating in an earning capacity. It's hardly surprising that your criminals might be more inclined to carry a gun, when they know at least one in three of the population is likely to have one. Criminals are practical people. They don't take a bazooka on a job where all they need is a crowbar.

well your view of criminals is pretty sad. ones who makes their living off the taking goods and valuables, from people is no more than a worthless pos. if you are doing it because your to lazy to get a job and want something that someone else has, or doing it to turn around and sell it for cash i don't know what is more of a scumbag than that. and they deserve what ever misfortune becomes them.

now that being said, if you rob someone one time to feed your family because every, and i do mean every option to you is closed i can maybe give you some slack for that. but also in the process if you pull a gun or beat someone during and they cap your ass, you knew the chances and that's just the luck of the draw.

those that coddle criminals and support them and say that they are not scumbags, are not much better than scumbags themselves.

ETA: you still haven't proved your statement. i wanna see where only drug dealers and people that go to high cash flow areas are the only ones to use guns.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I was a delinquent too, and was placed in your equivalent of juvie hall at age 13, and was doing 3 years for a stabbing and a bar fight at 17. I've known criminals nearly all my life

That explains quite a bit.

Thanks for the Insight.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Having a 9 month old son of my own. If I felt that my family was threatened in any way, no questions asked, there would be shots fired. I'm a totally non violent person, but if I felt threatened to such a capacity that my child's life might somehow be in any sort of danger, I'm pulling trigger. And they're not living.

My dad always told me, if it comes down to it, you shoot to kill.

Saying that man was in the wrong sounds like condoning the actions of said thief.

It's not like this was an execution style hit.

@ivanastikov

Do you have children?

edit on 29-7-2013 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Just LOOK at this

and tell me that is a CHILD

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys but when I get a house I'll be protecting it with a couple dogs and a blade collection. Is there a law against sticking robbers multiple times?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Until we hear more, we can only base what we hear on what the media is reporting. Are you asking would I think he was a child, the answer is yes, I would think he was a teenage boy. I came to this conclusion on the picture from the years of working in the convience store industry and having to make calls on asking for an ID on the sale of tobacco and alcohol.

As it is reported that the person shot is 14 years old, no matter what he looks like, in the eyes of the law he is still a child, until he reaches the age of consent.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Homeowner Merritt Landry, 33, who lives in Marigny, allegedly shot Marshall Coulter after fearing for his safety, and told friends and family he thought the teen had a gun. Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Do you gun owners really think that is a justifiable reason for shooting somebody in the head who isn't actually threatening you at the point you are pulling the trigger?

Yes.

I wasn't there so I don't know what the guy saw.....

If someone is on my property at 2:00 in the morning and I think they are pulling out a weapon then I will stop them using whatever means is at my disposal.

Second guess yourself and he does have a weapon, then you could end up dead.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join