It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF plan B. What does one do if ........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Firstly, yes I have always had an over-active imagination ............

So the question is:

Long, long ago (since being a kid), I had a bad feeling that it is highly possible that in my generation (sometime within) will be hit with a SHTF . For some reason my memory also held onto the importance of when (and if) that occurs that I am to meet a certain vehicle at a certain place to meet a certain person (unknown??) and that will be what saves me (or kills me?? lol).

Great, for a long time I felt kind of relieved knowing that I know where to go in this worst case scenario.

oh oh, only one problem.

Just within the past year or so the place I was supposed to go (which has been a LONG-time business) is now OUT of business, gone, closed, all of them.

Hmm, now what?

Anyone else have any childhood (or later) impulses to just 'know' where to go? If so, can you still get there? What if such place doesn't exist any longer?

How and when will your gut (or instinct) give you a plan B (new location)?? Does it spell doom if the safety net is gone?

Curious is all.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well , personally .... I`m a man , and I don't agree with the way we live today. So what ever happens , what ever scenario ends up playing out , I will leave with the clothes on my back and nothing more.

Carrying all your emergency equipment will weigh you down , your vehicles would be useless as that will be the first thing EVERBODY does - take to the road - and blocked highways are inevitable in all scenarios.

Worrying about other people will also weigh you down , so if you`re planning on grouping up then you will surely die .

All possible scenarios that I believe may happen :

# 1. Staged Alien Invasion
# 2. Biological disaster leading to "walking dead"
# 3. World War Three
# 4. Financial Domination - resulting in WORLD WIDE poverty
# 5. Bloody , military coup in many western countries

In all five of those I can stay hidden and live off the land .......... if its a meteor or nukes or something like that then what`s the point of even running ... roll up ... spark up .... go out happy.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

Don't rely on instinct or dreams. Have a plan. If you can't prep yourself, make friends with someone who does and will accept you in such an event.

Most important, you'll need a renewable source of water. Ideally, a place with a well (like a house out in the country) is ideal...but a freshwater stream, lake, etc. is good too. Getting to such a place is your number one goal. Without water, you're dead in 3 days.

Food and protection are your next worries. Even if you have stockpiled food, you'll need to consider more renewable sources (hunting and gathering). If money is an issue, at least research. Look for the common edibles that grow in your region (and make sure to stick with those that don't have a lot of poisonous look-alikes), and learn how to hunt, skin, and prepare an animal and fish. If you can't actually DO them, you can at least find free video clips, etc.

Even if your protection is a knife, it's better than nothing. A firearm is ideal, along with ammo. No matter what the SHTF scenario, it's the OTHER SURVIVORS that are really your biggest threat. Don't be Rambo. Hide from them. The animals that survived the Dinosaurs? The ones that were able to hide in dens and caves, etc.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AthiestJesus

Carrying all your emergency equipment will weigh you down

You can carry quite a bit of stuff at low weight. Some things are needed (food/water or a means to get them), weapons (for dealing with the other survivors)

your vehicles would be useless as that will be the first thing EVERBODY does - take to the road - and blocked highways are inevitable in all scenarios.

Depends on the scenario, but yeah, most will have this problem. Alternate routes, longer in distance but less on fellow travelers is the way to go here. Even if not all the way, go as far as a vehicle can get you.

Worrying about other people will also weigh you down , so if you`re planning on grouping up then you will surely die .

Even a lone ex Navy Seal is going to have a problem if a gang of 12 decides they want to take his gear. There is safety numbers. It's a basic truth that will only flourish in such an environment. Also, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Many can accomplish much more than just one.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I've made my house, my go to place.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - Patton

Have a plan, put some thought into it and execute it well when and if the time comes. As Gazrok pointed out, dont rely on instinct or intuition.

My advice would be to find a small out of the way rural town and relocate there.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

if its a meteor or nukes or something like that then what`s the point of even running

I think most people underestimate the chances of surviving a nuclear war. I know I did too, at one time. However, even if the biggest currently used nukes were dropped at the nearest priority targets to me, I'd still be well out of the effects radius for them, so at least the initial blast and radiation wouldn't get us. It's the after effects of a nuclear winter I'd be more concerned with, and this is true whether meteor or nuke.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks for replies.

Yes, I always imagined it would be a 'clothes on my back' situation when I ran into the person/vehicle.

The 'store' is one of the few of them that is in a less populated area (near highway but easy access to the country/off city limits which makes a great breakaway destination.

Lets say that now the stores have been converted to TARGETs. That in itself gives me a bad taste in my mouth.
Who in their right mind arrives to be saved at a place which their logo is a 'bullseye'? lol I'm screwed.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

You can carry quite a bit of stuff at low weight. Some things are needed (food/water or a means to get them), weapons (for dealing with the other survivors)

I wouldn`t be carrying anything on me so there`d be no need to "deal" with survivors . Live by the days not the months.

Depends on the scenario, but yeah, most will have this problem. Alternate routes, longer in distance but less on fellow travelers is the way to go here. Even if not all the way, go as far as a vehicle can get you.

Engines also draw attention , just thought I`d throw that out there.

Even a lone ex Navy Seal is going to have a problem if a gang of 12 decides they want to take his gear. There is safety numbers. It's a basic truth that will only flourish in such an environment. Also, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Many can accomplish much more than just one.

Sorry for being so brief with my other post , I don`t think I did my brainstorm much justice. What I mean is , when you`re surviving with a group there is going to be ups and downs ... some people might have medical needs - creating more work for your group when scavenging for supplies .... some may have serious attitudes / egos and try to become dominant over the group - to be fair this sounds like most people .... but most of all , some of them might be just dumb / clumsy and end up drawing you into situations that you wouldn`t have gotten involved in if you were going solo .

Obviously I would leave with my close family , mother / father etc. ..... and the dog is fairly old , but the bitch is young and she`s a good "ratter" so I suppose that`s helpful in the English countryside . (with the rabbits and all)
No guns , unless I can convince my granddad to give me one of his shotguns , even then ... shells don`t grow on trees .

In all scenarios I listed I would be pretty self sufficient , I`m no SAS badass but I know how to set traps and had a little experience hunting not too long ago ... I know how to fish ... I`m excellent at orienteering ... and I have a lot of experience in joinery , both bench and site , so shelter will be no problem at all.

Scavenging is key to survival , and if you`re carrying all kinds of jingly toys in your rucksack , it`s probably best you don`t try to sneak anywhere.

Go out to get a little loot for the day , some food to last you a few days maximum , needles, thread, bandages - anything "useful" . If anyone was going to jump you it would be to get weapons or vehicles , food / water ....... so if you don`t have it , they won`t bother you. Plus .... traps , just turn your surroundings into a huge death trap ... people who don`t know the safe route , well , they`d die I guess.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm not advocating living out in the woods off my pack. For me, the BOB is about getting home to my ranch, where I have a well, fences, horses for transport, bunnies to make more bunnies, food growing, etc. So, I'll take my vehicle as far as I can, as I work about 50 miles from home, so may be hiking for a few days to get there (assuming something happens while I'm at work, most likely)..... It's also where my family is, and where my friends will head in such a situation. They know they are welcome (and they will be bringing more weapons too).

Don't get me wrong, my BOB is pretty small, and not very jingly. I'll also be avoiding people like the plague, once I have to go on foot, if I have to go on foot. I really dread that, as my truck is a good SHTF truck. It's Diesel, and has a LOT of fuel capacity and power. It is also easy to convert to biodiesel, as it has multiple tanks. So leaving it is a last resort, but one that is likely, as traffic will likely be a parking lot.
edit on 30-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join