U.S. a Lawless State-Paul Craig Roberts

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

A quote from the above video.

“The country is not being run by the President. It is being run by spy agencies and private interest groups, Wall Street and military security complex . . . They run the country. The President is a puppet, a figurehead.”

Some Info on Paul Roberts for some background. Paul Craig Robert

Paul Craig Roberts (born April 3, 1939) is an American economist and a columnist for Creators Syndicate. He served as an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan Administration and was noted as a co-founder of Reaganomics.[1] He is a former editor and columnist for the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, and Scripps Howard News Service. He has testified before congressional committees on 30 occasions on issues of economic policy.

How many more ex-administrations people need to come out about the current situation before people start to listen?

Jimmy Carter voicing his opinion may have given others the courage to speak out, either way an interesting video.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Please take the time to watch the entire video, he goes into great detail about EVERY topic we discuss here on ats in direct relation to US policy, economics, and politics.

at the 16minute mark or so he begins to talk about the impending collapse of the american economy, all tied into the police state.
edit on 29-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Keep in mind also, Carter = Liberal dem, Paul Robert= Conservative rep.

BOTH SAYING the same damn thing, Our republic is dead, and in its place a corporate dictatorship with a puppet President at its head.

Ive always thought the Rep/Dem was political theater to keep us distracted, the facade is breaking and with things like NSA wire tapping and indefinite detention how screwed are we?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

This leaves me with very mixed feelings... As one of the architects of "Reaganomics" Mr Roberts is, in reality, one of the people who enabled the current oligarchy via deregulation. Given this fact, his concerns tend to ring less than true IMO.

I'm left wondering if he's genuinely concerned with the problems we face - or if he's just another talking head seeking to make sure that the next round of voting swings as far to the right as possible.

Regardless - it is good that people are talking about these issues, even if their motives might well be propaganda or agenda driven. With any luck the people will take the message to heart and discard any potential agendas embedded into it.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by benrl

This leaves me with very mixed feelings... As one of the architects of "Reaganomics" Mr Roberts is, in reality, one of the people who enabled the current oligarchy via deregulation. Given this fact, his concerns tend to ring less than true IMO.

I'm left wondering if he's genuinely concerned with the problems we face - or if he's just another talking head seeking to make sure that the next round of voting swings as far to the right as possible.

Regardless - it is good that people are talking about these issues, even if their motives might well be propaganda or agenda driven. With any luck the people will take the message to heart and discard any potential agendas embedded into it.

I know heff, thats the first thing I thought when I started to listen to it.

But than I got 10 minutes in and the man makes sense, even shooting down some of the reporters right wing points.

watched another video 40 minutes long, and I really think this man is on to something.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Another year, another day, another talking head.

We get it.

The U.S has been dead for years, practically decades.

It was Eisenhower who warned us of the far-reaching power of the military-industrial complex.

So, other than sounding the alarm like Carter, what does Mr.Roberts aim to do to combat the collapse of the U.S empire?

Is this his way of "making peace" after the destruction people like him have caused the citizens of this nation?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I hope people realize that this really is the truth. Obama himself even said that he couldn't change what was going on in Washingon, D.C. And Jimmy Carter spoke out about it. Who is more credible than the President himself, exactly?

Oh yeah... and Eisenhower as well. So how is this not enough proof?

---------

I actually think awareness is important - spreading awareness to the population. I know that isn't much, but it is better than not being aware - much better - especially for having accurate arguments and for defensive measures.

As far as changing the corrupt system, I am not sure. I just hope it doesn't get any worse. We have been losing freedom of speech, now freedom of press, soon possibly freedom of assembly (including online) and probably due process.

The situation is not good.
edit on 29-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well... the pendulum swings both ways. Totalitarian tactics are approved, like The Patriot Act, by appealing to Republican feelings - and then the tactics are continued when a Democrat takes office, and Democrats approve because they listen to what Obama says and not what he does, and think their officials are immune to being corrupt. It is a trick.

Democrats don't want to criticize Obama's totalitarian tactics, but they forget that he is setting up the Executive Branch for the next Republican President. The tactics he is creating will remain, just like The Patriot Act allowed the Obama Administration to continue expanding on those powers much to Republican's fury -

Really, we have to put party lines aside as they are being used to divide. Obama is cracking down on free press, Obama forced the E.U. to land a plane and caused them political fallout. Domestic drones with hellfire missiles are being deployed on U.S. soil. The N.S.A. surveillance continues and Obama tries to cover it up.

These are not Democrat issues, if Bush did them, I would be just as frustrated, in fact, I don't care who is pushing these issues forward - I am frustrated with them. It is not about party lines. I was frustrated with Bush and the Patriot Act from the get-go.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by Hefficide

Well... the pendulum swings both ways. Totalitarian tactics are approved, like The Patriot Act, by appealing to Republican feelings - and then the tactics are continued when a Democrat takes office, and Democrats approve because they listen to what Obama says and not what he does, and think their officials are immune to being corrupt. It is a trick.

Democrats don't want to criticize Obama's totalitarian tactics, but they forget that he is setting up the Executive Branch for the next Republican President. The tactics he is creating will remain.

Judging by the way that the Republicans have constantly blocked any and all progress on health care, they are not endearing themselves to the public any more than Obama himself.

America is tired of the Republican/Democrat/Republican/Democrat cycle. Nothing ever really changes.

I, as a liberal, an Obama voter, have made allies with conservatives on one issue that affects EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN: The far-reaching actions of the NSA.

Abortion, education, health care...those all take a back seat to the actions of the NSA.

And I have found that within my own circle of friends, that Edward Snowden is regarded not as a traitor, but as a patriot for coming forward with the information that he has. Granted, this information is technically not new. However, people who were formerly distracted by all the usual issues pushed by the Left and the Right, are starting to wake up to the reality of our situation.

I don't need Jimmy Carter, I don't need Paul Craig Roberts, to tell me that this is a lawless state. I know it in my heart and in my mind.

THIS is the issue that will unite Americans above all political boundaries and wedge issues.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I'd say the economy is the least of our worries but the reason why it's the one thing that so many people carry on about is because that is what they see as having the most potential threat to their way of life.. It's almost humorous that that is the concern that Hunter kept pushing when what he should have really been pondering is the totality of what Roberts was saying. We're on a runaway freight train.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Okay I watched the video a bit - notice how outsiders like Jimmy Carter, a Democrat who challenged the establishment, had his administration sabotaged. Also, that the U.S. is ran by the C.I.A. and the military-industrial complex, and big corporations like Monsanto, and that the President is just a figurehead.

When Paul Craig starts to make it sound like this is Obama's fault, he is making some bad arguments here - for one, the N.S.A. started way before Obama, and The Patriot Act 7 years prior to his election. For another, he already said that the President does not hold any power.

Well, we can see that a lot of what he is talking about is definitely true - in my opinion, the people of the U.S. are being used to give the corporate leaders, bankers and corrupt politicians false legitimacy to run their schemes - Democratic legitimacy.

I think, however, that the U.S. government is going to start going for military legitimacy - in other words, making it so that it doesn't have to listen to input from the people. The whole point of that is so that the corporations can make laws forcing the people to buy their products or produce cheap labor for them without having to be held accountable to their customers or employees, or to anyone in America, or the world...

I fail to understand the logic of this, but my best guess is that a bunch of morons who don't know the first thing about life are in charge and instead of accepting life, which they are too afraid to do, they want to force their false vision down everyone's throats through military force.

I mean, this is fairly prevalent... it is basically like rape or abuse - Where a man gets his way through force and tries to suppress those around him from finding out the truth because he is afraid that he won't be able to keep up with more intelligent people than himself.

I really think that Democrats in general are good people - it's really up to them (I'm a centrist) to do something about this, Republicans are too earthy and established.

The Tea Party, though - I know it is bashed on all the time, but it shouldn't be! That is who is running the House right now, and the House is pushing heavily to overthrow the surveillance state. The Tea Party is just like Occupy Wall Street. At this point, we have to differentiate between Republicans like Ron Paul and Rand Paul and ones like Bush, and especially Cheney.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I used to think that there was some grand plan, like Hunter did, but then I realized that everything that our government has been doing has been very reactive. While I'd also say that there are plenty of people with agendas in Washington DC, the kind of dull horror that I realized about a year ago was that there was no overarching agenda but just an inexorable tug of war of vying self interests with our country in the crossfire and our politicians in their pocketbooks. CEO's don't think in the long term. They usually are focused on the next year or two maximum unless something nips them in just the right way.

And the 5 at the helm of media is very true but it's also true throughout the market and just about every market. Mergers and acquisitions--there's been a lot of them. Overall though, at the end of the day that still ends up being a whole lot of boards and CEO's to buy over into a grand plan. Maybe they've done it or maybe it's just an absolute mess out there of reactive, short sighted nitwits running our country into the ground and quite potentially bringing us to the point of war or the utter destruction of civil liberties. Or both.

P.S. Don't count on the Tea Party unless they manage to shake the noose off of them. Have you ever looked at Michelle Bachmann's campaign donations?

edit on 29/7/13 by WhiteAlice because: added the ps

new topics

top topics

join