It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I determine if an IP adress belongs to a member.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
So say for example my virus program can determine that a malicious virus was sent to me and I get an IP address. Is it possible for me to know if it came from a ATS member???

Say for example

edit on 28-7-2013 by Kashai because: added content

edit on Jul 29th 2013 by Djarums because: personal information removed

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Not sure if trolling...

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Nope. The Mods/Admins have that info.
edit on 28-7-2013 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I am curious as to if this specific IP address relates to a member.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I don't think so. I could be using any one of the 5 computers I have access to. 3 are not registered to me nor are they at my residence.

I come on ATS all the time from all 5-3 not belonging to me ISP's.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Well you have to reroute the system props and get the motherboard to line up, but if you do there is a program you can use to nuke them called "Bluerabbit". Do you know how to get things lined up? You don't have to attack first, it's pretty easy to use a simple tracebot to find the IP from the username and plug that into the program so you can get all of their personal info. Once you have that and you send them a message, if they don't stop you can activate p3 and they can't communicate with the internet backbone anymore. It's a risky move but I can give you the correct protocol to enter into the ZED screen if it comes to that. Worst case, and I mean WORST CASE scenario I may pink rabbit them for you if you give me a few hundred carrots.

No OP, you can't. Especially if you have to ask. I can't believe I typed all that sober.

P.S. Muffler bearings.
edit on 28-7-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
More than likely not, without some other tools and private info

Most computers are internally assigned non routable ip addresses that are behind a router, you might get the outside ip on the router facing the internet, but depending upon routing and security at the isp, you may not be able to directly identify a person at their specific computer on their home network, there are tools out there that might assist in directly identifying a computer but chances are slim for average individuals to dig in and get info, just because of how things are generally set up to work when involving an isp, their routers and networks and your own private network set up.

The logs that a webmaster has also are unverifiable in identifying a specific user/computer in most cases also their log might be associated with a login/public facing ip, but because of what I just explained there is no way to say 100% that user is who is targeting you if they have multiple computers on a natted lan in their home, you might get the locale / isp info or the specific CO the router and switch is located, much of this beyond that is going to have some security appliance in the chain separating internet ip's (public) from individual private nat in a home.

you can theoretically have the same 192.x.x.x or 10. or 172, address in a private network as one of your neighbors because those addresses only work to route traffic on your internal network, and therefore not generally visible from the internet ip wise, if you had really bad guys trying to do things to you, they would be using spoofing tools etc, so you cannot identify them for sure, even if you had tools and personal info.

Good luck

edit on 28-7-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If they can find your IP they can hide their own.

What makes you think its a member?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

But if you use the IP address under your avatar and name it is related to you. Sounds like I need to speak to an administrator.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
if you're running a router you can log into the router settings and under "device list" you can see every pc, device.. etc.. connected to your internet or if you're talking about firewall incoming and outgoing you should check this application out www.peerblock.com... it's the alternative to the old "Peer Guardian", it still works but on older windows machines.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Youre right. Any of the 5 computer ISPs I may use...has "me" signing into ATS. I just wouldn't come up as the owner of 3 of them.

I'd check with an admin too.....

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

This is probably the easiest way to block ip's you do not want or recognize hitting your network, the only thing I have found is that if you have people that spoof their ip they will just use another ip, but then in that case I usually wildcard a range of ip's, but this is definitely the best solution for a home user on their network.

in most cases though you are only going to see their outgoing ip public facing from their gateway if lucky.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by Kashai

Youre right. Any of the 5 computer ISPs I may use...has "me" signing into ATS. I just wouldn't come up as the owner of 3 of them.

I'd check with an admin too.....

Thanks I just did that.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Make sure you let us all know what you find out!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

For real

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
So say for example my virus program can determine that a malicious virus was sent to me and I get an IP address. Is it possible for me to know if it came from a ATS member???

Say for example

edit on 28-7-2013 by Kashai because: added content

Are there ATS members who speak french?

edit on Jul 29th 2013 by Djarums because: personal information removed

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Did someone send you a virus and what makes think that it came from a member?

Tell us what really happen.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by Kashai

Did someone send you a virus and what makes think that it came from a member?

Tell us what really happen.

I certainly hope it is not but about 30 seconds after a rather controversial response I received an alert to a malicious virus and am wondering if it came from a member in this forum.

It was in this thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
And about 15 seconds ago I received another alert from the same IP Address.

OK the only thing I am currently allowed to do is edit this post in relation to a moderator response.

What happens if a members IP address is identified as having sent a malicious virus to another member????

edit on 29-7-2013 by Kashai because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Per our Terms and Conditions of Use:

22a) Disclosure: TAN also reserves the right to disclose any known personal information when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the law or comply with a legal process served on TAN, protect and defend the rights or property of the TAN domains, or visitors to these domains, identify persons who may be violating the law, the legal notice, or the rights of third parties, and cooperate with the investigations of purported unlawful activities.

We do not discuss the private information of members. That includes IP addresses. The exceptions are listed above.

Sorry we can not help you.

top topics

join