It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Army

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Here's what you do:
1.Call a recruiter
2. Go in for an interview
3. Take the Asvab, score good
4. Pick your job in intelligence "its a booming industry", pretty much guaranteed a job when you get out.
5. Sign your papers, for enlistment
6. Get through boot camp and schools.
7. Work the full 20 years, its the pretty much only guaranteed job in the United States. And, you'll have a retirement at the end.
8. Get married, use your benefits finish school and work for an Agency or Department.

With all these indicated steps, you'll be pretty successful.

Yep, and some fine advice from others regarding picking your MOS, etc. How many jobs can actually guarantee a pension these days? Not many...but this is one of them. Just try and avoid infantry. You don't want to die patrolling some backwater town in the desert because their own forces can't decide which they hate more, their fellow different kind of Arab, or you, from the West.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

You took the words right off my keyboard.

I wish I could give you appluase.

To the OP, if you want to be a adreniline junkie, I would recommend the Coast Guard as a Search and Rescue (SAR) member. Or the Air Force ParaRescue (also known as PJs).

The training is hard but rewards are worth it. You save lives in extreme conditions and will also have a skillset handy when you get out.

Not much use for a Infantryman in the civilian world.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Also, in the Coast Guard, you won't be patrolling that desert backwater town I mentioned.

Harder to get in these days though. Even harder for the Academy. I once had two Congressional recommendations to go into it (my father was in the USCG for a while), but my color blindness kept me from really picking an MOS I liked...so never went in. Same with Navy nuclear. Sky high ASVABs, but damn colors.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I am just at the cut off age and there are only two choices for me to go active duty. I felt the calling to join the military now instead of when I was younger so I am going into the Navy. The advice those gave you concerning MOS is good. From what I researched not many jobs for those who are infantry when the get out. Intel is probably the one that would get you a job when you get out. My advice since you are younger than me is to find which branch fits you, (especially after taking the ASVAB), go in for four and take college courses while you are in. If you find the Army life is for you then stay in for 20.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by WhiteNite

Originally posted by VoidHawk
What do you imagine you'll be doing while in the army?
Defending my country and our freedom if the need be. Opening more doors in life and making a living for me and my daughter.

I asked you that question because I thought you would give the answer that you did.

I take my hat off to all those who stand to defend

However!
I think those who will lead you are corrupt. You will not be defending, you'll most likely be attacking.
Think carefully, especially as you have a child who will want to know its father.
Thanks I will take that into consideration.. That was my worry though is the ones who will lead me. I might get lucky but I do hear of corruption. It can't be that bad though can it?
edit on 29-7-2013 by WhiteNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteNite

Our military actions are not about "freedom" etc., they are about protecting the value of the US dollar. Personally, I'm cool with that, but just an FYI as you're going in. Then again, EVERY nation wars for the same reason, to protect their interests, so we're no different in this regard. We simply have the logistics that allow us to do it all over the world, when our interests are threatened. Doesn't win us a lot of friends.

By all means, it is one of the most secure jobs now, and one with a pension to boot, so hard to advise you NOT to go.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join