It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking: "4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.

The gauge defines "economic insecurity" as a year or more of periodic joblessness, reliance on government aid such as food stamps or income below 150 percent of the poverty line. Measured across all races, the risk of economic insecurity rises to 79 percent.

Nationwide, the count of America's poor remains stuck at a record number: 46.2 million, or 15 percent of the population, due in part to lingering high unemployment following the recession. While poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics are nearly three times higher, by absolute numbers the predominant face of the poor is white.

By race, nonwhites still have a higher risk of being economically insecure, at 90 percent. But compared with the official poverty rate, some of the biggest jumps under the newer measure are among whites, with more than 76 percent enduring periods of joblessness, life on welfare or near-poverty.

By 2030, based on the current trend of widening income inequality, close to 85 percent of all working-age adults in the U.S. will experience bouts of economic insecurity.

Sorry about the WOT or wall of text but I did want to include some of the main points.

Things are REALLY bad and look as though they're going to get worse. For some reason (not exactly sure why), things dont seem as terrible as this report would have us believe. Not saying that its false, just that maybe I'm not exposed to it.

Not a very bright future and while the article hints at some causes, they wont address the 800 pound gorilla in the room: the "Federal Reserve".

The purchasing power of our dollar has been hammered. Its lost 96% of its buying power since the "Fed" was created. Even if we arent earning more money, at-least we would be able to afford more (a lot more) with the same amount of dollars.

They tell us that "deflation is bad" because our products would be more expensive to export. Whos buying our crap anyway!?

Many have said that its a deliberate attempt to eliminate the Middle class. Well, its working.

All this zombie themed "entertainment". Makes sense when you think about how many people will be out in the streets without food, clothes, medication or shelter.

They're preparing us for the future.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I have heard all my life that deflation is bad, and inflation is bad.

What is good when it comes to the economy? Status quo? That doesn't sound to good either.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I personally think it is that bad. The talking heads on propaganda networks will tell you all is well, with numbers to back it up, usually averages and blanket statements.

What they are not saying is that the financial sector has grown so much that it offsets every other sector by so much, that the bankers are essentially whitewashing their earnings as "good" for the economy and that everything else is business as usual.

ZeroHedge - Visualizing The 'Real' Economy Vs The 'Financial' Economy

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Lots of food for the zombies!

On another note, its looking pretty bad in the USA as it is in the UK! Same thing is happening over here, everything is going up, including the Utility Bills again.... Gas and Electric!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You know what they say about JOB's
The Book of Job (/ˈdʒoʊb/; Hebrew: אִיוֹב Iyob), commonly referred to simply as Job, is one of the books of the Hebrew Bible. It relates the story of Job, his trials at the hands of a character referred to as "the satan", in Hebrew, or in English, "the accuser", his discussions with friends on the origins and nature of his suffering, his challenge to God, and finally a response from God. The book is a didactic poem set in a prose frame. An oft-asked question in the book of Job is, "Why do the righteous suffer?".[1] However, Maimonides suggests that the person of Elihu saw Job as a shallow, "unexamining" and "unwise", perhaps even foolish, man who was merely grateful on a superficial level for what he had, thereby creating an opening for trouble to enter into his life.

Its very difficult to work around a bunch of kool-aid drinkers so I'm grateful that not only am I jobless and penniless, I am also unemployable. Basically useless among kool-aid drinkers.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Historically, when employment and the economy were suffering, the issue was resolved with conflict.

It happened with WW2, Korea, Iraq, next stop Iran?

When the government lets the economy to get to the point it has, it really does require a national effort to encourage growth.

Generally war and conflict is what was deferred to. But maybe, just maybe we could implement new national efforts that would engage everyone and better the country or the world in the process.
edit on 29-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
What is to be done? As much as people want to blame the economy and the government, the fact remains that those who want financial success take steps to assure they get it. Yes, we can argue that it's rather tough for impoverished people to escape their financial burdens, but it has been done before. What one person can do, another person can do, bar physical restraints.

It's a matter of simply wanting it. A majority of people, I'm talking like 99%, are content with mediocrity; as long as you're getting food, shelter, and the sex, if not the facade of sex, you are not going to abandon your current situation in search of a better one.

On top of this, almost everyone has some fear of their own success.

It's more human nature than it is society. In any culture and society you're going to have the successful few and the average masses.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Think about this one , why do you think the wars aren't ending

Active Duty Troop Levels as of Deptember 30th, 2012 - 1,388,028

Air Force - 328,812

Army - 546,057

Marines - 198,820

Navy - 314,339

Do you think the US economy could take some million plus unemployed?

edit on 29-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I see it as the companies who really run the country (in part) are pissed because they are losing sales to unemployed people. So they make a big stink about how horrible it is to be unemployed.

People go through life believing this propaganda. They think they have to have lots of income and acquire this and that.

I refuse to work a regular 9 to 5 job. I do odd jobs to make ends meet - I only make about 6 thousand dollars a year personally ( My wife also works) so together we make about double that - we are considered poor and in the poverty level legally. But we own our own home, paid off, we have cars paid off, computers nice things and live comfortably. It's easy to do because we know how to spend and save and are smart. We live as well as anyone with Money.

Just goes to show what you can do with little money if you want to.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
is that 1 person out of those 5 working for the government or some corporation able to dish orders out to other entities which would be able to change the field for the other 4?

new topics

top topics

join