It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coalition troops tortured Iraqi POWs?

page: 1

join
share:
dom

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 10:12 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

"The alleged mistreatment included "beatings with fists, with feet, also with weapons," Amnesty researcher Said Boumedouha said.

"In one case we are talking about electric shocks being used against a man and in others people are being beaten for the whole night and are still being kicked and their teeth broken. I think you would call that torture," he said.
"

Well, that's a bit sad really. Can't say I'm particularly surprised.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i'm not surprised really. whichever army in the world you look at, there are always some sick F--KS employed by them who get off on beating the $#iT out of unarmed guys

well, i suppose it makes them feel good about themselves...

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
while I am doubtful this is 'American policy' it doesn't take much more than a few bad soldiers to make this whole thing go downhill. I also wouldn't discount Saddam loyalists fabricating such a story and this phrase sound a little suspicious to me: A "substantial proportion" of 20 former Iraqi POWs

perception is reality.

dom

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yeah, I didn't like that phrasing either. There is no substantial proportion of 20 people.

But if Amnesty are investigating it I'd guess that there is actually something to it. Of course, doesn't really matter, everyone just seems to expect that this happens. I do hope that where evidence exists, soldiers are prosecuted for these crimes. But I just have this suspicion that prosecution won't occur...

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
"In one case we are talking about electric shocks being used against a man and in others people are being beaten for the whole night and are still being kicked and their teeth broken. I think you would call that torture"

How many Iraqi soldiers have teeth?

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Amnesty International is not as of today reporting such an incident.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Daystar your right, with any army in the world there will always be people beating the crap out of the captured. If you look at it on a brighter side though you will see we treat our POW's with a lot more respect then say the Iraqis or Taliban have treated our POWs even if we do dish out a few beatings every here and there.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 06:26 AM
link   
If true: it's most likely the result of what posters here have, by and large, suggested.
It's perhaps best to see it as another example of a world in which never have there been so many media channels with no interest in truth and never have there been governments so adept at manipulating the media that might be interested in objectivity.
Almost anything can be reported now.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The govenment will get away with what you let them. What does this say about us.

top topics

join