It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shanghai Company Claims It Delivered Cakes With Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Before you order your next cake. Ask if the delivery would be made by human. A Chinese company was using drones to deliver cakes to customers before police shut it done because of safety measures.

A Shanghai company is using drones to deliver cakes. According to the Shanghai Daily, Incake Company delivered cakes by flying robot, then suspended the service after police officials complained that the drones posed a threat to public safety.

To be honest I find this to be very innovated and entertaining. I rather see drones delivering cakes than killing people and how the article points out it is more environmentally friendly.

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
All tools can be used for good or evil.

Using drones for good is what we should be doing, while creating measures to prevent them from being used for Evil. Sadly what is happening is the opposite.

This is one of those "Good uses" for this technology.

Eliminates pollution, reduces street congestion, etc.

If the Govt was developing tech to improve people's lives, this type of thing would be streamlined and applauded.
But that isn't the case now is it?
edit on 28-7-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Pretty cool idea, I love quadcopters and hexacopters. I can kind of see the reason for "safety" but in the hands of a well seasoned controller, people can do some pretty amazing things with them.. But if it gets out of control on a really windy day, somebody might end up with cake and a hexacopter to the face

I agree, I rather see drones being used in a service industry instead of dropping bombs on 3rd world brown people.

Drop Cakes, Not Bombs
edit on 7/28/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Next will be a dildo drone...you will not be able to bend over anywhere in peace.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

That would be frustratingly awesome

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Are these really drones? Or are they just RC quadcopters with cameras fitted to them?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

In the article it says they're drones and it falls under the deification of drones.

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), colloquially known as a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot on board. Its flight is controlled either autonomously by computers in the vehicle or under the remote control of a pilot on the ground or in another vehicle.

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Are these really drones? Or are they just RC quadcopters with cameras fitted to them?

What exactly do you think a drone is?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixODAre these really drones? Or are they just RC quadcopters with cameras fitted to them?

Great point Phoenix. If these guys have automated the craft for cake delivery, then they need to stop delivering cakes and do craft automation instead because they are wasting their time with flour and yeast and ovens and frosting.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), colloquially known as a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot on board. Its flight is controlled either autonomously by computers in the vehicle or under the remote control of a pilot on the ground or in another vehicle.

This proliferation will spell the end of the flying appliance UFO era. Wave it good-bye folks. It was a fun diversion from 1885 until now.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEthicalSkeptic

Originally posted by PhoenixODAre these really drones? Or are they just RC quadcopters with cameras fitted to them?

Great point Phoenix. If these guys have automated the craft for cake delivery, then they need to stop delivering cakes and do craft automation instead because they are wasting their time with flour and yeast and ovens and frosting.

Most modern Quadcopters have advanced software built in to regulate the flight, even the low end ones have automated hover and gps controlled flight to keep them level and balanced.

So by default they are autonomous on many functions, thats why they are becoming more popular, unlike the OLD RC copters that required people to learn to fly them to not crash these are fairly easy to use and fly.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Why would they stop this, seems safe enough to me, its just another awesome thing the government wants to control

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngeIs
Why would they stop this, seems safe enough to me, its just another awesome thing the government wants to control

The possibilities are enormous, the barriers to entry are relatively low, and the unaccountability is high. This always threatens big government and big business. We cannot have innovators and entrepreneurs upsetting the powers of wealth. We learned this in the dot com era until now, and were punished with two stock market crashes as a warning and recompense.

edit on 28-7-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngeIs

because some anonymous person could say, fly one of these and use it to throw a pie in some politician's face
or other stuff, like a bomb.

better learn to build your own
before they're made illegal for civilians

Build yourself a Drone NOW (before they become illegal)

diydrones.com...

globalguerrillas: print-your-own-drone-free-designs-and-tools

while many are concerned about the government coming for their guns
said guns are already long obsolete

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AngeIs

They have to stop this because once someone starts using them in the US to deliver pizza and donuts, people everywhere will be so accustomed to seeing them that when a terrorist, domestic or foreign, decides to deliver explosives to their local police stations or school events or whatever, you know the people will just flock to them wanting the goodies and not thinking about precautions that may be warranted.

Of course it would be awesome to watch them crash in mid-air when operators can't see each others flight paths, too!

top topics

join