It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surface of the Sun as you've never seen it

page: 1

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
incredible video of our Sun

This extraordinary video looks back on the 3rd year of operation of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. Since its launch in 2010, SDO's data and imagery have exceeded everyone's hopes and expectations, providing stunningly detailed views of the sun. The observatory has continued to return breathtaking pictures and movies of eruptive events on the sun. These images are more than just pretty. By highlighting different wavelengths of light, scientists can track how material on the sun moves. Such movement, in turn, holds clues as to what causes these giant explosions.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Stunning Vid

Great find

S&F !!

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wow
amazing video, I urge everyone to go full screen and watch it in HD.
S&F

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Truly beautiful.
Thanks for posting this. :-)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Wow, that was spectacular.
Thank-you

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Absolutely stunningly beautiful. Something that gives us life - yet could easily cause the death of us all. So massively huge, yet even though you could line up 109 Earths across our sun's face - it is merely a small to medium sized star and is absolutely dwarfed when compared to stars such as Eta Carinae (5 million times larger than our sun), Betelgeuse (300 times larger than Eta Carinae) - and of course VY Canis Majoris, which is 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) times larger than our sun...something so comparatively huge to us - yet fairly small compared to other stars.

Thanks OP - S-n-F!

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My favourite track

"surface of the sun" By John Murphy from the movie "sunshine"

Enjoy

S/F.
edit on 28-7-2013 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Amazing, and just think that our sun is relatively small compared to stars that are out there, and just one of those flares makes the earth look like an ant in comparison.

Truly an amazing universe we live in.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I agree here is a small video showing you the size of other suns compared to our own.

Just blows my mind

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by benrl

I agree here is a small video showing you the size of other suns compared to our own.

Just blows my mind

Its really is hard to comprehend the scale at that size.

Its like an Atom trying to contemplate the size of a basket ball.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Yesssss. I absolutely love these. Thanks OP!

Sorry for the short post, but that's really all I have to say. These kinds videos are mesmerizing, and never cease to amaze me.

Cheers,
Nos

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I was actually watching this yesterday morning on YouTube. The interesting part was the solar flares and CME's in motion.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Great video! Thanks for the thread and post OP! I also checked out the other "Space Rip" videos of our solar system, they make some great stuff!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Fantastic, it's hard to fathom the singularity of earth, humans don't even count as a statistic in the huge scale that is the universe.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

edit on 29-7-2013 by cr33p because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

That was spectacular! I was truly mesmerized and actually felt hypnotized by it's beauty.

Thanks for sharing this, I really enjoyed it!

S&F

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

S & F beautiful yet could be deadly to us, but stunnung to be sure. Something that can bring life and/or also death so many millions of miles away.

Good find.

top topics

join