It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you think this era of humanity will be viewed in future education?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I am sorry if this has been posted before.

But I have a question that has been bothering me.

I took GCSE history way back at school. I remember all the text books and how detailed the education was.

And it has made me wonder...

In 40 years, what will be in the history text books for students? Will they still be taught about the Cold War? WW1+2? Or 9/11? Iraq? Afghanistan? Economy crash?

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I can't even imagine. Hopefully humanity will have evolved to a degree that they'll think the current crop of morons was just some weird aberration. I can just see them pondering the relevancy of Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians while we were living in such troubled times.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by brace22

In 40 years, what will be in the history text books for students? Will they still be taught about the Cold War? WW1+2? Or 9/11? Iraq? Afghanistan? Economy crash?

We have to survive the next 40 years first.

And if we do I hope people smarter than myself will teach the children to learn from our mistakes, and that the future is written by everyone, not just the victors.

The problem is most cultures have a bias history. The American MSM constantly reminds us of the nightmare that was 9/11, but not the horror of the nukes that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The same could be said about Sunnis and Shiites, Catholics and Protestants, Trekkies and Jedi's, etc. Each side will have their own history.

Until we understand everything as a whole, we will continue to be segregated. And if we want to move forward as a species we'll need to overcome this.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have a couple theories:

1 - The Era of reality tv: Reality TV is becoming the must have, because its cheaper to make than normal tv shows, it gets ratings, although i have no idea why and when people vote they pay a phone line bill which basically means you are paying for the tv show to be made and yet most of them are rip offs of the other. (And are really really boring)

2 - The Era of the Politically Blind: With everything thats going on in the world, with politicians screwing the people that voted them in, taking huge expenses claims, ignoring the cries for help and pleas for those who are living well below the poverty line. and yet we still call them heroes, when a guy like Obama who got voted into office not because he was saying the right things but because he was black (call me a racist but look it up, when Obama first ran for President there was a massive rise in votes from people who had never voted before and what did they get a celebrity loving and wanna be president who sees himself more as the first king of America rather than a President)

3 - The Age of the Fools - kind of similar to number two, although i want to add that we all think we are doing something about it, that we are working towards a greater future but do you honest believe us sitting here at our computers slamming our fists on the table is gonna change anything. NOPE. and still we continue, and im the same, i want a free future but haven't the will power to get up and make it happen.

those are my three things there were more but i didn't want to make a long boring comment that you wouldn't read.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

What is happening right now is all
but invisible to everyone, even the
participants.

Our veterans are self organizing
into cells via online gaming.

When the day comes that we, as we
the people, throw a revolution and
reassert control of this country it
will happen via guilds and other
online communities.

For instance one massively
multiplayer game is similar to
another in that it contains systems
to form groups called guilds,
establish leadership, and assign
ranks.

In the seventies if more than five
people started to meet and organize
TPTB would immediately try to
infiltrate and/or discredit.

Not so with online gaming, as no
one takes it seriously. It's just a
game, they think to themselves.

I feel that this will be known as
the era of the Digital Guild.

Veterans are playing computer
games.

Families are checking facebook regularly.
Everyone has, or is, going digital.

US Game Sales Up 19% in '08; December Sales Hit $5B

Survey: Average U.S. Gamer Age is 35; 40% are Women

DFC Intelligence Forecasts Video Game Market to Reach $57 Billion in 2009

$3.8 billion by 2011 in game downloads for consoles

Supporting evidence:
    Both Egypt revolutions were organized through digital media.

Twitter revolution is a term now used in referring to the Arab Spring

Flash mobs are a phenomenon now, both good and bad.

Social media has changed the definition of leadership

Picture yourself as one a hundred years from now trying to describe what was happening in our era.

1). As people dropped out of the Job hunt and the official government statistics claimed that "unemployment has gone down" many of those same people go to the net with strong opinions looking for like minded people.

2). As doctors drop out of the profession because of crushing insurance costs, and the new generation is trained to be more computer data managers than physicians, again the government claims great progress.

3). Behind pay walls lawyers can get high speed access to almost the entire case history of any jurisdiction, making the joining of a large law firm both less necessary, and less profitable.

4). The old, wealthy, and influential, are scrambling to try and catch up with a rapidly evolving digital world they barely understand, and mistakenly believe they can control by monitoring.

5). User generated media is the number one activity in the country. Just look at the size and level of activity on YouTube. Let alone the countless other sites like etsy, minecraft mods, and the number of blogs.

6). As a result of the "Corrupted Blood incident" in the online Game World of Warcraft, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention contacted Blizzard Entertainment and requested statistics on this event for research on epidemics. They were told that it was but a glitch.

7). One day ago, in a statement during an Iftar Dinner at the White House, President Obama specifically mentioned a Muslim entrepreneur who is trying to use video gaming to "do social good".

Timestop 3:46 - 4:11
aboveTopSecret.com / President Obama Hosts an Iftar Dinner For Ramadan

8). Khan Academy has completely changed math education in the areas where it is used. With all middle school children participating achieving A+ grades in math. Even the ones that the old system of education used to consider "slow."

Your conclusions may differ from mine.

Mike

edit on 28-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well from Gen X through to the "millenials"...we will more than likely be remembered as the "ME" generations...."me-me-me"....the most selfish, self indulgent....dumbed down and distracted collection of people that the world has ever seen.

Don't get me wrong...the "boomers" did their damage....they are the ones who told their kids it was OK to be this way...

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If we've learned anything in our time on this planet thus far, we should know that this era will be taught through a lens of lies and propaganda just like every other historical era is. History is always taught in a manner that benefits the current ruling elite, with only enough truth in it to keep people from walking out (if we're even allowed to). Everything else is pure manipulation.

This much can be guaranteed.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
If we've learned anything in our time on this planet thus far, we should know that this era will be taught through a lens of lies and propaganda just like every other historical era is. History is always taught in a manner that benefits the current ruling elite, with only enough truth in it to keep people from walking out (if we're even allowed to). Everything else is pure manipulation.

This much can be guaranteed.

I think if enough of us document the present situation then we may in our generation be able to buck this trend, although I do share your concern that this has been the underlying pattern for thousands of years.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Awesome theory.

I both disagree and agree with you. Social media in terms of FB and Twitter are more than likely a huge way forward with social leadership etc.

As for online gaming, I don't think it has the same impact if I am honest.

Either way. Great post!! And as well from the others!\

Keep it coming!!

I truly believe this history of the future will have something to do with all wars in last 15 years. Terrorism and technology.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brace22
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Awesome theory.

I both disagree and agree with you. Social media in terms of FB and Twitter are more than likely a huge way forward with social leadership etc.

As for online gaming, I don't think it has the same impact if I am honest.

Either way. Great post!! And as well from the others!

Keep it coming!!

I truly believe this history of the future will have something to do with all wars in last 15 years. Terrorism and technology.

Well gaming and online gaming are becoming somewhat synonymous, a bit hyperbole perhaps but the way certain demographics have settled into what once was a niche is rather interesting, albeit almost disappointing for various reasons.

Terrorism now seems more similar to McCarthyism back in the 50s. Was reading a story about some people arrested in Canada recently that were "al qaeda inspired" when several years ago they would have just said they were al qaeda. Propaganda and misinformation abounded.
edit on 7/28/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damian65
Well from Gen X through to the "millenials"...we will more than likely be remembered as the "ME" generations...."me-me-me"....the most selfish, self indulgent....dumbed down and distracted collection of people that the world has ever seen.

Don't get me wrong...the "boomers" did their damage....they are the ones who told their kids it was OK to be this way...

So basically, the boomers suck, they taught their kids to suck, and the boomer's parents, "the greatest generation" sucks because they raised the sucky boomers who raised their sucky offspring.

Might be a pattern here...

edit on 7/28/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join