It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitsubishi Blamed in Calif. Nuclear Plant Closure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com... lif-nuclear-plant-closure-19698388

LOS ANGELES July 18, 2013 (AP) Southern California Edison took an initial legal step Thursday to try to collect millions, or possibly billions, of dollars in damages from the company that built defective equipment that pushed the seaside San Onofre nuclear power plant into early retirement.

Wait...July 18, 2013...Where have I been...I missed this...and, RETIRED...due to a faulty a faulty what???

The twin-reactor plant was shut down in January 2012, after a small radiation leak led to the discovery of unusual damage to hundreds of virtually new tubes that carried radioactive water in the generators. Edison announced last month it would close the plant for good, surrendering in a costly and drawn-out fight over whether it was too damaged to operate safely.

So the plant had a leak back in Jan.2012....was this in the news and I somehow missed it???
This is some important stuff to have been swept under the rug. I have friends and relatives who live in that general area and they never even mentioned this...alls I can say is WOW...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Your link is broken. In the first entry you're supposed to type or paste a description, which you apparently didn't do and pasted a link instead. The link goes in the second entry you're prompted with. Here's the hopefully fixed link:

Mitsubishi Blamed in Calif. Nuclear Plant Closure

The article says:

A Mitsubishi statement called the filing an "expected part of the contract process" but did not address any of its allegations.

So without Mistubishi's side of the story it's hard to say what happened but maybe they have no defense and are liable for billions in damages. Better for Mitsubishi to pay than ratepayers but they haven't decided that issue yet:

In a separate case, state utility regulators are considering who should pay for Mitsubishi's replacement generators, ratepayers or shareholders. A decision could be months, or years, away. Any money Edison recovers from Mitsubishi could reduce the exposure of ratepayers.

About the leak, if that's what you're excited about, I'm not. They said it was small and I have no reason to doubt that. I probably get more radiation from eating a banana than standing outside the plant when it has a small leak.

edit on 27-7-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thank you soooo much for the tips....I have been wondering about how to do that the right way but you know how things go...I forgot to ask someone or look at instructions again...and yes I was a little concerned over the leak but you are right about getting more exposure from the sun...I worked for a brief time at San Onofre in the 1980's and we had to watch videos about the different types of radiation...some very powerful and some not so much...I failed my 1st pee test there and was fired on the spot...what can I say the 80's for me was just one big party....
edit on 7/28/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

join