It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox to challenge Microsoft

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
i run 2 small boxes here(amongst the many) with redhat9 on them, nothing like having the most stable OS around for Everything BUT gaming.

I strongly prefer Linux over Windows for a huge laundry list of reasons, but am chained to XP due to gaming.

I know there are diehards out there who run Windows emulators for their gaming, but I've never found that satisfactory -- games are just too finicky, especially on the bleeding edge, where I play.

Ah, but for stability, Linux wins hands down. At my last company, we had a Linux box that had a continuous uptime of over a year. When we had to physically move it to another datacenter, we thought of ways we could do it without shutting down, but reluctantly powered it off before the move.

You won't see that kind of stability in Windows, ever. It's too flaky.

I'm hoping the game situation changes for Linux. If so, it's BUH-bye Windows for me. Oh well, someday, maybe...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Firefox is good, but I do not think it is faster than IE, and I do not know if it crashes less than IE because I do not have crashes with IE.

I still prefer IE if I want to quickly see a site, because it loads faster, but if I want to use more than one site at once I use Firefox or Opera, the tabs are very usefull.

Sorry I disagree here - I have firefox and ie and I have noticed that IE takes much longer to open and render a page than firefox. IE always seems to stall a bit...

For over a year now I have used firefox instead of IE and have noticed a drop in spyware/virus, etc. Also I am not scared to make online transactions with CC anymore either

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I've been using FireFox on my XP based laptop for over a year now and loven it its the beat browser out there for windows/Linux way better then enything the drones at M$ could come up with. However there it one browser that beats even FF and thats Safari (best browser comes whith the best OS)

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
How is safari better? faster? extra pizzaz?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
My computer is always multitasking because of recording. Microsoft's internet explorer is like taking a shotgun to one of your legs and blowing it off while trying to climb uphill. Firefox is more like a smooth ride up that hill and then coasting comfortable with a hot chic in your convertible. Damn that was biased.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I've installed Firefox and Thunderbird on my kid's P/C without any problem.

I THEN went into the firewall and blocked any connection through Internet Explorer
I also blocked any connection through OUTLOOK.

They are still running XP Home without ANY OS updates and as long as I keep McAfee virus checks and updates current, along with weekly Ad-Aware scans, all is working perfectly.

YOU CAN NOT RELY ON VIRUS SCANS ALONE!

McAfee found no problems while Ad-Aware found 192 files of spyware on their system

Unfortunately MS forbids you to delete Internet Explorer on a P/C
It's gone for good on my Mac! :-)

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

That�s what most of the people think. But actually�

www.vorck.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I've used FireFox since July and found it both stable and secure. I especially love the "tabs" option which opens a browzer in a browzer. Make sure you checkout the plugins!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I beleive Firefox (or Mozilla) was orginally based off the old netscape engine or source or something

Yep I believe your right, you'll notice that FF renders pages the same way
that Netscap used to/does

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I love my Foxfire!!!

It keeps out all the spam!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agnis

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

That�s what most of the people think. But actually�

www.vorck.com...

I just got FF and have been using to surf a few places. NNiiiiiice!! I definately see the difference!

Now, I am downloading necessary tools from this site to take out IE and other components (like Outlook). I was thinking of totally giving up on Windows and just using Mandrake, but I think after some tweaks (removals :lol
of this OS, I might find it a little more efficient (and safe!).

I can hear it now...
*brother, creator of my machine, comes over...*
"OMG! WTF! WHAT did u do???"
*sister laughs, confident of her abilities*
"I just played around w/ the dll and i386 files..."
brother - "YOU DID WHAT??"
sister - "ummmmm....."

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
How is safari better? faster? extra pizzaz?

all there, and more

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I told you this would happen and YES it did! My dad complained the computer was slower than usual and made me REMOVE Firrefox!!! The nerve of some people! Oh just wait till I get my own computer!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join