It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox to challenge Microsoft

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Firefox is good, but I do not think it is faster than IE, and I do not know if it crashes less than IE because I do not have crashes with IE.

I still prefer IE if I want to quickly see a site, because it loads faster, but if I want to use more than one site at once I use Firefox or Opera, the tabs are very usefull.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have always used Netscape since 1994, never ever used IE, I see Firefox
as the Netscape revenge. Hate, hate,hate Explorer!!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have been using firefox for about a month now and love it! IE sucks and even though I still have it I rarely use it except to access IE only sites, which hopefully will all become firefox compatible soon.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I reiterate all the positive comments, I've been using since .4 or .5 can't remember. The ONLY thing I use IE for is the windows update site as it's required.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just downloaded Firefox! It's great and I have to say alot better than IE!!!!!!!! Now for thunderbird.....................

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I've been using it since it was called Firebird. I prefer it over IE, but I must warn you plug-ins are a bit more difficult to install - so it's not for the AOL crowd just yet.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I just downloaded Firefox too. But I don't see any big differences. Maybe it is just me, anyone care to clarify?

P.S. Some sites don't work for me in Firefox.

Surf

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hmmmphhh.... It's hard to mod with firefox though. If I want to give a warn or applaud or anything else, I have to use IE still...

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Occasionally, on some site heavy with applets and such things Firefox kinda skipped over some items and didn't load everything. A refresh usually got it. I have just updated to version 1.0 from 1.0b and it seems to have fixed a lot of that.

I'm hoping that the future doesn't start to see company's, in this example I'll say Microsoft since I think they would do this in a heartbeat, start to promote, code, differentiate things to a point where you have to run IE to view certain pages.

For thsoe of you who just DL'd it and have started using it, try it for a few days. The differences and speed will become apparent. I feel like I'm browsing with a Ferrari with Firefox.....IE was driving a pre-Ford Jaguar

Cameron

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Physh1]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Hmmmphhh.... It's hard to mod with firefox though. If I want to give a warn or applaud or anything else, I have to use IE still...

hmmmm... have you updated lately? Because I had no problem with this, nor do I have a problem now when I do something here that requires a pop-up.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Upgrade, dear Bandit!
I use nothing but Firefox.

On topic, I'd really like to see more people using Mozilla to replace IE and Outlook. Both are so full of security holes and general usability problems, I'm amazed it's taking this long for people to catch on to the viable (and safer, and more pleasant, and....) alternatives.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I still use IE for one thing and one thing only: Windows Update.

Everything else, it's Firefox. Websites other than Windows Update that require me to run IE don't get my business.

I left IE because of ActiveX, the major security issues plaguing IE, and most of all, MS's attitude about users as expressed through pop-up ads, user interface nastiness and security holes.

A classic example of MS "user friendliness": if you disable ActiveX functionality but visit a page that has ActiveX controls, you will get a dialog box every damn time that tells you you cannot use the ActiveX controls because they are disabled, and you have to click "Okay".

The purpose of that dialog box is to harrass you for not using ActiveX. This is typical of the MS attitude toward users.

If MS wants me to use their browser, they will have to stop treating me like garbage first. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I feel like I'm in Linux again!
Linux is so awesome, I think I just may partition up and install it on my new computer. I was a 100% Linux user for over a year untill I got this computer...

Are many people on this board pure Linux users?

Open Source all the way!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have been using Firefox for a long time. I beleive this is the IE killer if it can get the promotion behind it. Also Outsider you said that plugins are hard to install, They have fixed that, all you need to do is go to their plugin site and click on the one you want. Firefox is becomming more "user friendly for the AOL crowd". And to who said they use Netscape, I beleive Firefox (or Mozilla) was orginally based off the old netscape engine or source or something. Anyway, Firefox is a good customizable safe browser for almost any user.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Long Live Firefox!!!

I started using FF many, many moons ago and (as others have said) I ONLY use IE for Windows updates...

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
im using avant browser, i dont know if firefox is better.
i am currently downloading firefox for me to try.

and oh, i hate microsoft for their security holes.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by darktone]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
What is the difference, or which is better...Firefox or Opera ?

I am new to these web browsers and was wondering which one I should go for??

JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Have been using Firefox for quite a while now - no problems at all.
The pop-up blocker works on the most insistant of sites, and the D/L manager does all I need too.

Here's a couple more links:

Forefox Browser Takes On Microsoft- BBC

New MSN - Search Wars

Jack

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
ive used opera for many yrs then switched to avant. They have always been excellent browser alternatives to IE. but shhhh, the more popular they get...the more peeps wanna hack em...tried netscape, too aolish for me. if firefox is like linux's mozilla, then it should be a good and stable browser also. Ya sillinous, i run 2 small boxes here(amongst the many) with redhat9 on them, nothing like having the most stable OS around for Everything BUT gaming.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Opera is good, but less functional than the brilliant Firefox. Most early FF glitches have been resolved. And I have yet to come across a website that FF can't handle...I'm sure there are some, but I haven't seen any.

Note that FF also has an excellent e-mail client called Thunderbird.

The old "Mozilla" name is now used for their "integrated" Internet product (browser/e-mail/edit html a la Netscape Communicator plus an integrated IRC client); I haven't tried that yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join