It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox to challenge Microsoft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Originally posted by CNN-
CNN) -- Microsoft's dominance of the Web browser market faces a fresh challenge on Tuesday with the release of the final version of Mozilla's Firefox browser.

The Mozilla Foundation, a California-based non-profit organization dedicated to developing open source software, hopes Firefox 1.0 will attract millions of users away from Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Last month more than eight million people downloaded the preview edition of the browser, contributing to its final development.

What do you guys think of this? I never heard of Firefox until now. Is it supposed to be really good? Heres the link: New browser to challenge Microsoft

[edit on 10/11/04 by Atomix]

[edit on 10/11/04 by Atomix]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Firefox is more secure, and it doesn't get hijacked. There are also tabs in the browser so you don't have to open 3 or 4 firfox instances at the same time. They still have small glitches with "special" websites though... Websites with certain kinds of active-x controls probably.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I love Fire Fox! Great browser
Ive been using it for about 3 months. Still have IE6, but I like FF much better
I hope they dominate Microsoft!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Firefox now has its start page.
www.google.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am interested in downloading Firefox but I have some questions:

1. If I download Firefox willl I still have Internet Explorer?
2. Is Firefox free?
3. If I download English (US) version will it run because I am in Ireland?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Control-T is the best function ever
I am a multi-tasker.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
I am interested in downloading Firefox but I have some questions:

1. If I download Firefox willl I still have Internet Explorer?

Yes

2. Is Firefox free?

Yes

3. If I download English (US) version will it run because I am in Ireland?

It should run.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
firefox is the greastest browser i have ever used....now i hope people start making "EI only" sites compatible with it.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't think challenge would be the right word. How about decimate! I can't seen any area where the dead IE trumps Firefox. Its smaller, faster, and its lack of integration into windows means that if it crashes windows doesnt flake out like a crackhead three days into withdrawls. The way I see it MS will be dead in the browser-war waters unless they pull out some miracle.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
The way I see it MS will be dead in the browser-war waters unless they pull out some miracle.

Microsoft is ran by Satan they will pull something off, they always do

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
they will spend a bunch of money to hype something up like longhorn just enough to make many people buy it but itll still suck.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kessel
they will spend a bunch of money to hype something up like longhorn just enough to make many people buy it but itll still suck.

of course the next version of windows will suck...they all do
if all these mindless drones wouldn't use windows, software would be written for other operating systems

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have to say I dig Windows 2000 and the server flavors as well. I'd take them over that 2k3 nonsense any day of the week. XP would have been alright had it not been for mangling the start menu, nasty themes, and even more bloat.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Firefox is much better than IE, I have been using it since the first betas.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thanks Agnis, Im gonna ask if I can download it because my dad always gets annoyed when I screw the computer up. He doesn't seem to understand what an update is.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
ive been using firefox for a good while now...excellent browser...wonder what theyll put in later versions of it

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Thanks Agnis, Im gonna ask if I can download it because my dad always gets annoyed when I screw the computer up. He doesn't seem to understand what an update is.

No problem, btw, just tell your dad that this is a critical update for Internet Explorer that will patch all its errors

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Agnis]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
FireFox is great, especially the fact that you can download Extensions for the browser. I love the Extensions and the fact I can control my, whatever I'm using at the time for music, through the browser. Hell, when I use ATS chat I sitll have the ability to control my player through there. FireFox is so much better then IE, it isn't even fun. All IE has done is whored themselves out to spammers so they can cause so many pop up ads at once it's not even funny.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agnis

No problem, btw, just tell your dad that this is a critical update for Internet Explorer that will patch all its errors

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Agnis]

lol!! what better way to explain it

Used firefox myself for ages. Personally I think it trounces IE

flc

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I've been using it since its first beta relaease. I love it. Much faster, no pop ups, smoother performance, no crashing, and much more user friendly. Can't beat it....it kills IE.

Cameron

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join