It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for the writers out there...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey everybody! I was just sitting down to finish work on my second book, and a thought occurred to me regarding what motivates my thought processes when I'm developing and writing a story, what is it that helps other writers get that pen (or in most cases, the keyboard) moving?

I have found that, for the most part, my particular muse has been music. Various bands and song types have planted ideas in my head for stories that I've written, and I was curious to see what it is the moves other writers to create their own work (besides the simple need and desire to write, of course).

So, what is your muse?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Same as you, music I write sci fi and I use soundtracks from my fave movies to help me get in the mood.

At the moment it is Bladerunner music.

The tron legacy soundtrack works great also.

Clasical also and some Jean Michel Jarre thrown in.

All washed down with Scotch.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Ha! I don't drink a whole lot these days, but nicotine plays a large role in the process for me.

***EDIT***

Classical music does help me drown out some of the goings-on at home when I want to write, but I also have a white noise generator that I set to brown noise that also does the trick for me.
edit on 7/27/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: added text

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I've been writing a fantasy series for a while now, not published but I'm waiting till my first 3 are done before I send them to a publisher.

My biggest source of inspiration was Dungeons & Dragons. Those campaigns we created from our own imaginations have served as the backdrop for an entire world I've created with rich history and characters.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Must admit I agree with you, I draw a lot into my writing from my roleplaying days. Ignited a spark in my imagination roleplaying did.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's a good idea (having three finished books prior to publishing). I have managed to garner a bit of sales with my current book (primarily in the U.K.), and I'm hoping the second will boost the sales of the first for me.

I haven't delved too deeply into the fantasy setting yet, though my experience with DnD would certainly play a role (the main character for the one story that I have started is based on a character of mine).

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I haven't delved too deeply into the fantasy setting yet, though my experience with DnD would certainly play a role (the main character for the one story that I have started is based on a character of mine).

Here's what I did.

I asked each of my players if I could use their characters as major world characters, since their personalities were already so well built. I then used the major events of all of our campaigns as "trigger" events in the story or the history of the world.

It allowed me to expand about 1000 years worth of history for a world about twice the size of Earth.

Currently I'm writing the History Of The World compendium, which I think will be included as a novella with the first book. The series jumps back and forth through the time line with every book, so I figured it would cause less confusion if there was a reference book basically.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I was told to always write about what you know about or what your are passionate about, that usually helps me, I am not a publish writer but I was told I should, I guess I am not ready yet.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

On a certain fantasy novel I had been working on, for so long... Nomad - Iron Maiden.

I really should finish that thing. I'm more than 3/4 done.

So I would guess... Music is my muse. I can also see how a loved one could be, but no woman I have ever been with has stoked me to write anything other than love notes and poems lol

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Here's what I did.

I asked each of my players if I could use their characters as major world characters, since their personalities were already so well built. I then used the major events of all of our campaigns as "trigger" events in the story or the history of the world.

It allowed me to expand about 1000 years worth of history for a world about twice the size of Earth.

Currently I'm writing the History Of The World compendium, which I think will be included as a novella with the first book. The series jumps back and forth through the time line with every book, so I figured it would cause less confusion if there was a reference book basically.

~Tenth

That makes perfect sense to me, especially if you have a setting and characters that have been constructed and nurtured over time such as you seem to have.

Fantasy is a good genre to get into these days, if the writing is as strong as the characters and setting, you should expect to gain a following over time.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Alcohol, drawing from personal experiences, listening to people. Reading a little Bukowski. A lot of times I'll stare at a blank page and feel frustration start to grow. So I'll take a step back, have a whiskey sour, and come back later.

"Write drunk, edit sober." -Hemingway.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Well, get in there and write that thing!

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

haha I keep thinking about it. When I was going through my divorce some couple of years back, I got discouraged and no longer had it in me. After time has passed, I have a feel for it, I just need that kick in the pants to get to it. Right now, if I'm not at work, i'm either dabbling in my own music or wine making. With so many hobbies, it's hard to take one to the finish. But I shall... I shall. Maybe I'll just throw a piece of it up here in the story section and see what kind of reaction I get. It might be the muse I need to get started again. Then I'll throw the headphones on, kick on some maiden, and bang away at the keys.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think music is the most common inspiration for writers. Nature also inspires as well as observing people and their personalities to base characters upon.

Let your imaginations run wild my writer friends! I love fantasy myself with elves and dragons and faeries and what-not.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Had a few small successes in being published at the local college mag and contests. What I need when I write is silence. I can't have anything going that takes me out of my thought process (music, TV, barking dogs...).

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have done a few short stories and collaborative work but they aren't my best work.
Most of the pieces that have gotten the best raves were all letters I wrote to a specific individual or group.
The thing that seems to get the best results out of me is frustration or anger because that's when I dig in and really work out my feelings on things.

I can't write worth a damn when I'm happy.

edit on 27-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Had a few small successes in being published at the local college mag and contests. What I need when I write is silence. I can't have anything going that takes me out of my thought process (music, TV, barking dogs...).

I have a wife and a 7 month old... the white noise generator is wonderful for that application.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I have done a few short stories and collaborative work but they aren't my best work.
Most of the pieces that have gotten the best raves were all letters I wrote to a specific individual or group.
The thing that seems to get the best results out of me is frustration or anger because that's when I dig in and really work out my feelings on things.

I can't write worth a damn when I'm happy.

edit on 27-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

Emotion is a powerful tool in a writer's arsenal if harnessed correctly. I mainly write horror/twilight zone-style stuff, but when I have strong emotions, I end up writing very dramatic and moving pieces that, unfortunately, tend to be far too personal for me to want to publish them.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The last book I wrote was based around various dreams that I had over many, many months, waking up and writing down what I could remember before it all vanished from my mind......

Look up Letcher- Grinder- Fish- Poe, if you wanna seek my book out....

Cheers and all the best to ya......

top topics

join