It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African chef 'too fat' to live in New Zealand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
South African chef 'too fat' to live in New Zealand

Authorities in New Zealand have told a South African chef he is too fat to be allowed to live in the country.

Immigration officials said Albert Buitenhuis, who weighs 130kg (286 pounds), did not have "an acceptable standard of health".

He now faces expulsion despite shedding 30kg since he moved to the city of Christchurch six years ago.

New Zealand has one of the highest obesity rates in the developed world, with nearly 30% of people overweight.

Hmmm...this is interesting. Are there equivalent "health status" requirements for immigration to other countries? Yes, there are. In my opinion, morbid obesity is a health problem; but I'm sure this article was titled to sensationalize the issue as "discrimination". It's been, what, a few months since the last uproar - I recall a person who was 'too fat to fly', the 'fatties' in the restaurant whining about the 'code words' used to identify which party they were for the servers...
the fat woman who was humiliated when using food stamps to buy groceries, etc.

So - is this more about 'discrimination', or is it a real health issue? Shame the press has to make it about discrimination. It's on several other news sites as well - see the article (scroll down) for links to other sources....
and ALL of them use the words "too fat".

Well, according to the BBC article (linked above)

An immigration spokesman said Mr Buitenhuis's application had been rejected because his obesity put him at "significant risk" of complications including diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.

"It is important that all migrants have an acceptable standard of health to minimise costs and demands on New Zealand's health services," he said.

Here's iafrica.com

An INZ spokesman said Buitenhuis was rejected because his obesity put him at "significant risk" of complications including diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and obstructive sleep apnoea.

Other headlines listed:

Huffington Post UK
Chef Told He's Too Fat To Live In New Zealand
46 mins ago

Times of India
South African man too fat to live in New Zealand: Report
1 hr ago

IAfrica.com
SA man 'too fat' to live in NZ
6 hrs ago

MSN New Zealand
Obese South African too fat for NZ
9 hrs ago

FOXNews.com
Obese South African 'too fat' for New Zealand
10 hrs ago

Look at those "headlines" - all use the phrase "too fat" - but somehow I REALLY DOUBT those were the words used by the INZ. Sensationalism....
I think it makes sense not to allow immigrants who pose obvious 'drain' on the public health system.

What are your thoughts? Both about the wording of the headlines, AND the immigration issue?

edit on 27-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What's next?

"After genetic screening, we found your family to have a proclivity to cancer.

Sorry, maybe the next country will take you."

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
They might as well deport every Kiwi who is overweight then, if they truly want to stop straining the health system.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Good point! Yes, I'm sure that's comin' round the bend. Along with fMRIs to check for 'abnormal' brain functioning that might lead to "Minority Report" type screenings.

You want to live here? Let us scan your brain and we'll see if it works properly - or if you're likely to be a psychopathic monster.

Or, even more absurd, that in order to work in some "firms" (like banking or hedge fund trading) you HAVE to have that brain anomaly that indicates psychopathy, or they WON'T hire you.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
also from BBC, from July 15:
Fat-boosting gene mystery 'solved'

Basically, it's a genetic thing that changes both brain chemistry AND hormonal balances.

The mystery of a genetic flaw which greatly increases the risk of obesity in one in six people has been solved by an international group of scientists.

A version of an obesity gene, called FTO, had been linked to a bigger belly, but the reason why was uncertain.

A study, published in The Journal of Clinical Investigation, showed it made fatty foods more tempting and altered levels of the hunger hormone, ghrelin.

Commenting on the findings, Prof Steve Bloom, from Imperial College London, said: "We know the tendency to overeat in a society with too much food and no need for exercise is inherited.

"Slowly we are discovering the factors which make us overweight and this study, encompassing not only demonstration of a higher level of hunger hormone, ghrelin, but also changes in the brain associated with ghrelin's action, is an important step forward."

The study was funded by the Rosetrees Trust and the Medical Research Council.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Love his surname "Buitenhuis" in english it is "Outside house" or maybe even "Outhouse".

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Pushing 300 pounds there, assuming the guy is not 8 feet tall, he is not a little fat, he is obese. I will never understand how people can allow themselves to get that massive..... How can he even fit in a kitchen workplace?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Pushing 300 pounds there, assuming the guy is not 8 feet tall, he is not a little fat, he is obese. I will never understand how people can allow themselves to get that massive..... How can he even fit in a kitchen workplace?

Are you out of your mind?

I am 6'2", and weigh around 280. I wear a 36 or 34" waist. And I can throw the average 180lb person across the room.

In high school I was the same, and could run down a halfback from behind while in the backfield.

I think you guys put too much faith in a number.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It could be an indicator that his cooking is so good even he can't resist it. If I were a potential employer I would be more likely to employ a fatter chef, as being a thin chef might indicate that their dishes don't taste so good.

There does seem to be a move towards being overweight being seen as a lifestyle choice. I don't know if there actually is a fat acceptance movement, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hey, Tex....did you look at the first link? I wonder how much you'd guess the guy pictured weighs. I'm thinking he'd be closer to 450-500 lb range. I'm TERRIBLE at guessing weights (had to leave the carnival
in a previous life)...

I used to work with two very fat women - they would take 2-hour lunches, stuff themselves at buffets, then come back to the office and complain that they were "full" and needed a "nap."

I would just shake my head in bewilderment. They were really MEAN, NASTY women, too..... but I suppose I'd be hard to get along with too if I had to waddle around with so much flesh hanging off of my small frame.

Once I worked with an obese "nurse" who was supposed to carry meds up and down to the three-floor school building - to give kids their meds. She tried to get my colleague and I, who were both petite paraeducators, to take that chore on for her --

I told her no way - I'm not licensed to give out meds, (but my MAIN REASON, unspoken, was "I WON'T make it easier for you to sit on your arse and eat, when YOU need to walk those stairs probably MORE than the kids need the meds you're taking to them!!")

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
It could be an indicator that his cooking is so good even he can't resist it. If I were a potential employer I would be more likely to employ a fatter chef, as being a thin chef might indicate that their dishes don't taste so good.

There does seem to be a move towards being overweight being seen as a lifestyle choice. I don't know if there actually is a fat acceptance movement, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

A fat chef will have higher food costs. They will nibble more, their staff will nibble more.

Maybe not....but equally as speculative as what you suggest.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
While they're at it the kiwis should kick out albinos for looking too pale, or Narcoleptics for sleeping on the job.

Being overweight isn't a crime, and it certainly isn't a reason to boot someone out of the country. If we could dump every imperfect person on a remote desert island, we'd all be on that island.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yeah, i saw the chef. From the public health standpoint, since it is state run, I don't disagree with NZ and what they did. Of course, I think public healthcare is abhorrent and tyrannical. But that is a different discussion.

I was just shocked that someone would think 300lbs denotes someone who couldn't fit into a kitchen. At 300lbs I still only have a 36" waist, and no difference in physical capability

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by hotel1

A fat chef will have higher food costs. They will nibble more, their staff will nibble more.

Maybe not....but equally as speculative as what you suggest.

Good point I hadn't thought of that, but I was thinking along the lines as my personal chef (in the stately home/Downton Abbey sense) rather than as a restaurant owner.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You are in the minority these days. Huge difference between a 300 pound fat person, and a 300 pound person that is more muscle than fat. Since the article calls the guy fat, I assume he falls into the first category. Also, the picture there is probably not him, just a random fat person stock image.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I guess if its OK to ridicule fat people..

then I think UGLY people should be barred by immigration standards too.

I mean come on, who like ugly people?

they are a health hazard... to look at..!!

sarcasm to prove a point.

I am UGLY..

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I am pro-tobacco but a non-smoker. Are they turning away smokers?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Your post is offensive. You are an unkind person.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

I'm not an unkind person. THEY were unkind persons, to the extreme. It's a fact.

As for ugly and smokers? I don't know. But these two women were obese AND mean. It is what it is. Whether you like it or not.

As an example, one of these "mean women" would recognize Lent in a peculiar manner:
She would REFRAIN FROM BEING UNKIND AND SAYING UNKIND THINGS ABOUT OTHERS. For Lent. Only for Lent. The rest of the time she let it rip at will. And I'm NOT making that up. That was her Lenten 'sacrifice' - and that's what SHE told us.

Unfortunately, Lent only lasts 4 weeks.
edit on 27-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Me thinks that this issue is not going to add weight to his visa renewal application!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join