It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your favorite actor of all time.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Denzel Washington, and Robert De Niro.

There are many other actors that I think are good,
but if I had to mention two off the top of my head it would be those two, for sure.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm old school when it comes to actors. Two of my favorites are

Spencer Tracy - he was great at playing so natural. He was dying when he made Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - still did a damn fine job of acting

I also love Gregory Peck in my favorite movie (and book) of all time - To Kill a Mockingbird.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheomExperience
The only thing more awesome than his movies....are his freckles.

For me, it's all about the voice. Freeman and J. E. Jones are at the top of my list. Nothing worse than a lead male actor without a masculine voice.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Jack Nicholson.... Easily.

He never fails to entertain. From his lighter roles to his darker roles.

Range is very important to me in the acting world. I hate that so many actors are typecast these days.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Basically I love all the actors mentioned so far by other posters.

2 I haven't seen mentioned yet are Sam L Jackson and Ed Norton.

I didn't want to be cliché and mention Pitt, but his roles in 12 Monkeys and Kalifornia can't be denied.

Don't forget you don't have to be a Hollywood star to be a great actor. John Simm (amongst many others) is a great British actor imo.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Gonna have to add Nicole Kidman to the list, she just has this grace which we do not see very often nowadays...
Nothing to do with that she is a redhead honest

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Johnny Dep

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Of all time is really hard for me. There are so many films from the past that have always held a very prominent and sacred place in my heart - leaving me enamored and endeared with their stars...

Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke
Steve McQueen in Papillon
Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath
James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause
Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront and Apocalypse Now
Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, The Rum Diaries, The Ninth Gate, The Astronauts Wife, The Libertine, Donnie Brasco, Finding Neverland, and so many others leaves him the most logical choice...

However...

If I had to choose just one actor who has touched me in multiple films, touched me on a deeply personal and thought provoking level - I'd have to go with the decidedly unpopular personal choice of this guy:

His performances in The Fisher King, What Dreams May Come, Patch Adams, Dead Poets Society, Goodwill Hunting - and others... leave me feeling that, for me, based upon a body of work... he is the man.

Regarding my opinion of pure acting ability? Not one of my personal favorites... but I think he deserves endless kudos for being a master of his craft:

Of modern actors - I'll again mix it up and post what will likely be unpopular opinions ( at least one of them )

edit on 7/27/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yup... Daniel Day Lewis and Leo are on my top list....

but I think Johnny Dep takes the prize... He's the ultimate character actor...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
My favorite is definitely Clint Eastwood.

Honorable mention to Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe.

# # #

My favorite actress is probably Demi Moore.

Great actress and timeless beauty.

Great thread idea, thanks!

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's a toss up between Anthony Hopkins, John Malcovich, and Gary Oldman.

It's hard to say, as they're all so different from each other.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I would have to agree with all your choices.
Leo DiCaprio is one of those actors who always surprises me. Before I went to see The Aviator, I thought, there's no way he has the maturity to play a role like that. Damned if he didn't pull it off!

For a singular performance, I would have to mention Robert Shaw, as Quint in Jaws. Man, I love that performance. I still watch that movie from time to time, and I still get goose bumps when he describes being on the USS Indianapolis.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Robert Shaw... 'nuff said.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Donnie Yen .

Sam Rockwell

When it comes to favorite actors it's not so much whether or not I like all of their movies (I dont feel that way about any actor) it does however come down to certain roles. If I watch a movie and think to myself "only this actor could have done this role so brilliantly, no one else would have come close to playing the role" then they become a favorite.

Donnie Yen plays Ip Man humbly and because off his martial arts skills outside of the studio he plays the role believably. Others have tried to play the role and in my opinion they have failed.

Sam Rockwell in Moon is well just brilliant. It's hard for an actor I imagine to have to command the whole movie pretty much by themself but he does it well. You feel for him throughout the entire movie and you want him to survive, to go home so bad yet you know he probably won't.

Robert Deniro in Taxi and John Hurt as Wnston Smith in 1984 deserve an honorable mention.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Bar none, Rutger Hauer. My favorite movie he did was The Blood of Heroes. You might remember him as Roy Batty in Blade Runner, the blind swordsman in Blind Fury, and Captain Navarre in ladyhawke. Tons more... Probably one of the most under rated actors of all time.

edit on 27-7-2013 by SumerianSoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
These guys....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
women actors my favorite is Olga Kurylenko the 2nd best looking woman on the planet

pichost.me...

and for Male actor

edit on 27-7-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Mel Gibson - he can say more with one look than most can say with words............

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Debbie Reynolds.

I fell in love with this angel way back when she played in Tammy and the Bachelor. All you need do is take the time to watch this 3 min yt clip below and you'll see why.

Her rendition gained her a gold record. What an amazing actress.
Her career has spanned over 50 years. Where's that sort of longevity these days.

No wonder Carrie Fischer was a looker as well. Problem there was Carrie's personality was a bi nasty. While walking down the street a "fan" said in all admiraion "look! there's princess Leia" to which she turned and gave the fan a verbal spray which, from then on has tarnished my opinion of her. Actually, in one of the star wars movies her sour side is seen when she is captured by Darth and is being "smug and smirking" to people on a space ship

Anyway, here is a link to the yt clip about Debbie Reynolds enjoy:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

One of the reasons I didn't mention Walter Matthau is because I figured you would. More than just a great comedic actor, he showed his ability to play dramatic roles in "The Taking of Pellham 123." And "A Guide for the Married Man" is one of my all time favorite movies. He's another actor I think could have done a great job in nearly any role.

To me, when you talk about a great actor you really have to talk versatility. Leslie Neilson, for instance, is thought of primarily a comedic actor these days, but his dramatic roles were at least as good.

Also, I thought Robert Downey Jr. did a great job with Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, and I'm the kind of guy who thinks of Basil Rathbone as the Sherlock Holmes. But I was really impressed with Downey in "Tropic Thunder." Here's an actor playing an Australian actor playing a black man, and did a great job with it. Totally believeable. Now that's talent!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join