It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Justice Department Discriminates Against Black Drug Users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Anymore I am having difficulty figuring out what makes Obama tick. Tonight I was thinking, just once I would like to find something that we both agree on. Ah ha, perhaps I found it, the unfairness of lengthy African American incarcerations for drug use. But guess what folks? It looks like I have to keep searching. But not until I first share this with you.

Regular powder coc aine the bane of the average white drug user nets one far less jail time vs. the crack coc aine of the poor and mostly African American user. 5 grams of crack will get you 5-40 years of prison, while 1/2 a kilo (500 grams) of powder coc aine will get you the same sentence. 82% of crack coc aine federal defendants are African American.

The passage of the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 was meant to remedy this. And even better the act was meant to be retroactive. But Obama's justice department is appealing the retroactive portion of the Fair Sentencing Act. Thus leaving thousands of African Americans unfairly incarcerated for their crimes. We are talking up to 40 years here!

PDF - Blewitt Petition For Rehearing

Last month, President Obama quietly did something that should shake every American to the core. Seeking to enforce federal crack coc aine laws that have since been repealed, the Obama administration asked a federal appeals court to ensure that thousands of human beings, mostly poor and mostly black, remain locked in prison – even though everyone agrees that there is no justification for them to be there.

My client thought he would be released from jail and home with his family after our first appearance in court. Instead, I told him, the tiny bag of crack coc aine that police had found in his car – less than half the size of a ping-pong ball – meant that he would likely spend the next five to 40 years in prison.

Why US v Blewett is the Obama Justice Department's greatest shame

edit on 27-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

[...]

Oh I disagree. We have too far yet to go before we can name their greatest shame. I'm certain there are MANY more yet to come....

edit on 7/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

obubba is only black when it's convenient for him
there's a name for his type
however if I refer to the prez by the name of a very popular creme-filled chocolate cookie,
or make reference to the difference between house and field, the banhammer will strike

his black-ness is also his shield
lot's of people still caught up in the 2-party illusion
will claim "but Romney or McCain wouldn't have given us much better."

however Romney or McCain wouldn't probably be in office [or maybe even alive] today if they'd pulled
what the present POSUS has gotten away with.

only truly "Sane" bigots would try and touch off a race war.
the rest see barry O for what he is: bait dangled by the "Sanest" "people" ever:
the ones pulling barry's strings

but pay no heed to my words, as I Am quite "Insane"

edit on 27-7-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Why doesn't DOJ Holder put up a tip-line for info about this travesty of justice?

Maybe the black community should ask themselves this?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

[...]

Oh I disagree. We have too far yet to go before we can name their greatest shame. I'm certain there are MANY more yet to come....

Oh yes there will... And I will be sitting here waiting to gloat. But still you have to admit, this is pretty low down. Just let those poor people go for crying out loud. My feelings are that no drug user should get any jail time. Wouldn't it be far less expensive to rehabilitate them? Put them back into society so that they can pay taxes and have a decent life? I just can't possibly imagine why anyone would want to lock a drug user up for 40 years. My heart truly aches for these people.

Who knows, maybe if the people that voted for him put some pressure on, we can get these folks freed. But who am I kidding, Obama does whatever he likes.

edit on 27-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

[...]

Oh yes there will... And I will be sitting here waiting to gloat. But still you have to admit, this is pretty low down. Just let those poor people go for crying out loud. My feelings are that no drug user should get any jail time. Wouldn't it be far less expensive to rehabilitate them? Put them back into society so that they can pay taxes and have a decent life? I just can't possibly imagine why anyone would want to lock a drug user up for 40 years. My heart truey aches for these people.

Of course I was being facetious. In sane countries people with drug and alcohol problems are understood to be victims of a disease, not perpetrators of a crime. So it's doubly a travesty.

But I still believe we've yet to see their worst: They're on a seriously tight deadline of some sort and are trying to jam as many humanity-rending crimes into their little time as they can. The "current resident of the White House," as I refer to him, said recently that he has about 1200 days left to go. My feeling is that what he meant was that they're getting behind, as they have far more than 1200 major crimes against humanity yet to commit....

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Why doesn't DOJ Holder put up a tip-line for info about this travesty of justice?

Maybe the black community should ask themselves this?

Good one

Perhaps the NSA will pass your suggestion on to them and they'll implement it in the interest of justice....

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Does anyone here know of someone that is incarcerated for an ungodly time? If so, I would love to hear from you. Does anyone one else have any opinions on this?

I still am perplexed why such an advanced country locks up drug users like some third world country. Back in my youth it was always, "don't go to this or that country with drugs or you may go to jail and never get out". But well, at least they didn't discriminate.

Anyways, it is only fair that those that were unfairly discriminated against by the US courts be released. I am not for drug use, but I am certainly for compassion. These people were hurting no one but themselves.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If memory serves, Reagan and Bush41 were responsible for these discrepancies over the various alkaloids derived from the coca plant. It amounts to genocide for african americans to some extent - there was a PBS special a decade or so ago about how there aren't and single black men that aren't infected with HIV due to these draconian mandatory sentencing guidelines and lengthy prison terms - I think this was in Detroit or Chicago.

Bottom line, mandatory sentencing should be eliminated and declared unconstitutional and all the various compounds derived from the coca plant should be treated the same.

ON THE OTHER HAND - I personally do NOT believe that any of God's creations (plants) should be "banned" or made to be unlawful by man or government. Processing those natural substances into something else seems fair game for regulation under current societal mores. If you've ever been to the Andean highlands, the medicinal qualities of the raw coca plant (as well as raw ephedra) are indisputable when it comes to relieving the symptoms and maladies associated with high altitude acclimatization. Viva Bolivia for taking the UN to task on this issue and winning back the rights of indigenous peoples to continue to thrive in the high altitudes there.

ganjoa
edit on 27-7-2013 by ganjoa because: bad code italics

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Seriously, I think one has to look at who floods the inner-city with crack coc aine - the same people who advocate locking these criminals up?

Who is actually in control of the "illegal drug trade" - if snowden would release some MORE info about this - like others have tried to do in the past - I might believe he is the real thing.

This is a personal pet peeve of mine about the "US gov't".
edit on 28-7-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join