It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Push Tries to Confiscate Firearms From Felons, Mentally Ill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Umm, nowhere near the same principle. Where in the constitution does it say the right to be near kids shall not be infringed? How does one protect their self and home with a kid?
edit on Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:57:56 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Are you going to hand over your guns if a doctor ever prescribes you some meds for some form of mental illness?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Umm, nowhere near the same principle. Where in the constitution does it say the right to be near kids shall not be infringed? How are does one protect their self and home with a kid?

Lets look at this another way:

So ok if a severely mental dsibaled person wants a gun they should get one?

Or

A known criminal who is in and out of prison for violent (not white coller but violent crime) and its a 100% given that he gunna use than gun for bad purposes?

You make it sound like in the USA you NEED a gun for home defence is it really that unsafe in the states
Do you get break in every other day or something?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Didn't Chicago just pass concealed carry laws? That in itself is a big thing for that city.

Getting a gun in predominantly liberal states is relatively easy or so they say. Say you want it for self defense and target shooting. They do normal background checks on you and normally you pass with flying colors.

BUT getting a CCW permit is a whole different ballgame. In order for you to legally carry with you at all times you need to prove a big need without suspicion. New Jersery, California, New York all very tough to get CCW permits. Usually ex cops, people who are stalked routinely, business owners that need to make night desposits at the bank.

I personally like this.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Yes. If they are so unstable they cannot have a weapon to defend themselves, then they should be in an institution that can provide the protection they need.

This is real life, not minority report. If they commit another crime, then toss them back in prison.

Personally, I am more worried about wild animals than people, but I have no problem putting down any scumbag that would do me or my property, or my community harm.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

So the ten million people taking Prozac should be prohibited from owning a gun?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

That is not all, all the hospital centers been prop for the returning soldiers to be screened for mental instability by the government tells tons of the agenda.

If you are under certain type of anti depressants you could be deny to own a gun.

Still the main issue is of gun control is controlling the illegal trafficking from the border of illegal guns that are sold in the streets in the US, no moron corrupted politician seems to target that big issue, perhaps been the political whores they are I would not be surprised that the whores in congress and the whores in state government are taking money from corporate American they are also taking bribes from drug Cartels and illegal arm trafficking dealers

After all Americans love their weapons but darn if they ban them they will increase the business of the black market.
a win, win for the arm cartel.

California with all their gun control have the three major cities with the highest gun violence, Oakland, Long Beach and Los Angeles, what that tells.

Gun control seems to breed more violence in the states that enforce them, because the black market flourishes.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

This is real life, not minority report. If they commit another crime, then toss them back in prison.

And you have dead or crippled person.

Its pretty simple concept dont do the crime if you cant do the time. And that includes future repecussion like being denied gun ownership.

Maybe there should be a probabition peroid that if out of prison and you keep your nose clean for 10 years you can be considerd rehabilitated and there for get your full rights back.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, that's the ticket. Institutionalize everybody who doesn't meet your personal standards for sanity. That would be half the damn planet.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62

I doubt that is what he is saying.

I think like most people its mental illness that can render one aggresive or impair ones judgment toward what is right or wrong such as schizophrenia, Bi polar, Anti social personatlity disorders, some severe forms of PTSD and some forms of Austism.
edit on 27-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

More than 1 in 10 in U.S. take antidepressants

Eleven percent of Americans over age 12 take antidepressants according to a report released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control. The study, compiled by the National Center for Health Statistics, looked at data from 2005 to 2008. Among the other key findings:

thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

So I am not afraid to say that by now is about 1 in 5 in the US.

that is a lot of gun confiscations that the government will have to work on in order to take guns from the hands of the "unstable"

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

They did "their time", it's called prison. That is paying the debt they owe to society.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

They did "their time", it's called prison. That is paying the debt they owe to society.

Buts it not protecting socity.

Im sorry but they have to prove in my opinion there are rehabilitated and quite frankly most that come out of prison are not.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

What? How is that even close to what I said?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

I doubt that is what he is saying.

I think like most people its mental illness that can render one aggresive or impair ones judgment toward what is right or wrong such as schizophrenia, Bi polar, Anti social personatlity disorders, some severe forms of PTSD and some forms of Austism.

Most of the pschiatrists are not as dumb as the second amendment ONLY crowd tend to think. I was treated for depression when I was younger because of social issues. Ocassionally I get depressed but its not as bad as it was back then.

Doctors are smart, at least most of them. You need high grades and lots of cash to make it through college and medical school. Perhaps lack of experience comes to play some times but show me one person that had experience from the beginning.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I don't have the stats at hand but you are describing a large swath of society. Do you have any idea how many people alone are bipolar? Bipolarity is extremely common. So is anti-social behavior.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hell, I'll be honest with you on this. That depends on the illness I would be facing. If I'm told I have a mental illness which is known and proven to result in unstable or uncontrolled behavior? If there is a legitimate reason, by the diagnosis, to believe I may be unsafe? Then yes, I would sell my weapons.

It is the legal thing..but that's not the point. The point in your example would be brutally simple. Which is more important to me? Owning my guns beyond a point I'm safe with them or keeping my family safe?

Without mental illness, owning them is the means to keeping them safe, if worse comes to worse someday. In mental illness? Well, *I* have become the threat, whether I'd even realize it or be man enough to accept I can see that or not. That's why mental illness can be SO evil, in my view. The one suffering it often 'eased' into that condition over time and honestly cannot see it or appreciate the issue that others can.

How many people who just 'snap' or go off killing...... would have acknowledged they were capable, before doing it? I'd go by the diagnosis and pray I never have the day to face in my own life. At near 40yrs old, I'd hope anything would have shown up by now.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretWeapon

Not very smart to be talking like that in a public forum.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I don't have the stats at hand but you are describing a large swath of society. Do you have any idea how many people alone are bipolar? Bipolarity is extremely common. So is anti-social behavior.

And?

Sorry but if everyone with a unstable judgment impairing mental health illness has a gun then you are asking for a mass shooting

You want to stop mass shooting which are a big problem in the USA: Great!

But you dont want to ban all guns: Ok fair enough they are important to your culture.

So what do you do?

Something has to give and better treatmnet of mental illness and makeing it difficult for those that are unstable to get hold of a gun is the best way to go.

It that or live with mass shootings.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

More than 1 in 10 in U.S. take antidepressants

Eleven percent of Americans over age 12 take antidepressants according to a report released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control. The study, compiled by the National Center for Health Statistics, looked at data from 2005 to 2008. Among the other key findings:

thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

So I am not afraid to say that by now is about 1 in 5 in the US.

that is a lot of gun confiscations that the government will have to work on in order to take guns from the hands of the "unstable"

It would be a lot of confiscations....if everyone who got depressed became disqualified to own a firearm. That's why I'd gone back in what I said up there before posting it to add 'for good reasons'.

An Antidepressant wouldn't bother me by itself. My Dad was on prozac and valium, prescribed, for a couple different things before he passed away. Not among the terms of disqualification. Not even for the enhanced background of his CCW permit.

How about someone suffering schizophrenia? How about multiple personalities, where they CAN literally turn violent, kill you and then pass a Poly in saying they didn't do it? Should someone who has been a long time in-patient for serious mental illness, once out, be able to own and carry a gun? If so, is that without any limit to what condition or behavior put them into long term treatment to start with? How about that treatment didn't end and is lifelong out-patient?

We can get hypothetical to extremes and it's where I said enforcement may tend to highlight where the laws have problems. We'll never know if we just keep passing laws like gas at a chili cook-off and never bother to enforce any of what IS passed.
edit on 27-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join