It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather decide how you die or when you die?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hi,

(This is all a fantasy just for fun.)

Pretend a magic genie appeared and gave you a choice, he gave you the following options.

You can choose how you die but not when you die.

OR

You can choose when you die but not how you die.

If you choose the second option your maximum age is 80 and you must decide right now at what age you will die.

What would you choose and please explain your answer.

edit on 26-7-2013 by playernumber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
80 sounds good enough for me, I don't want to be a burden on anyone when I get old and take away resources from the younger generation so that will do just fine.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Before I had my daughter, I would have chosen "how". Now that I am a father, I would choose "when". I think the reasons are obvious

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Right, I'll be happy if I make it to 80.

I guess I should have answered my own question. I would choose how - I want to die in my sleep.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by playernumber13

If I could choose how to go? In a space suit orbiting the earth and then I would be a shooting star re entering our planet

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I always thought it would be cool to be shot into the sun inside a capsule at super high speeds so I was instantly incinerated. Plus the view would be spectacular.
edit on 26-7-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Or just aimed into deep space so friendly aliens can pick me up in a million years and bring me back lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
How - in my sleep. Why? I'm allergic to pain.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
How - in my sleep. Why? I'm allergic to pain.

Me too! Pain sucks!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
How.

I'm a mother of one (she'll be six on August 13th!
) and I was born with a congenital heart defect, a very large heart murmur, and almost no immune system so I grew up catching every little bug that crossed my path and being sick all the time...here in the South, I'm referred to as "delicate", LOL. I developed tachycardia (heart beating too fast) and an arrhythmia (heart beating unevenly) in my teen years, both of which put me at risk for pulmonary edema (fluid building up in the lungs), cardiac arrest, and cardiomyopathy (viral and bacterial infections of the heart, which I was already at risk for). Compound all that with the fact that I've been getting pneumonia once or twice every year since I was sixteen... so that's almost nine years of pneumonia scarring my lungs. My heart is slowly destroying itself and doctors have given me an average of ten years with this heart, up to fifteen if I'm lucky and five if things get really bad...not factoring in that my lungs are being destroyed as well.

I'm turning 25 in December. My daughter is only (almost) 6. I want more time for myself but moreover, I definitely want more time with her but its not just time I want, it's also quality of time...I don't want to be sick for my entire life, no matter how long or short it may be. Therefore, I would pick how I would die since it's pretty much assured that it'll be my heart that kills me in a certain timeframe. If I could choose for that to not be a factor and to die some other way, I'd choose to die of old age...not only would it change how I die, but when I die as well.
edit on 7/26/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

But you'll be dead. They would probably just eat ya.

BBQ Monkeyboy.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by playernumber13

Don't mind that
it would be like a carrion burial

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't know.

Maybe I don't care.

I can't tell which.

ETA: accidentally posted....continued:

I mean, I want to live a long time I guess. I certainly don't want to be set on fire or be kidnapped by an Iraqi insurgent with a power drill. But you know....I am ultimately ready to move on when the train hits my station.
edit on 26-7-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
You got me thinking OP

If we were all born with a tattoo on our body with the date we die, would we lead a more productive life?
We could have a "Iam gonna die tmr party"

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

We'll have to put you on the "when" (80) list. You don't want to piss off the magic genie.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
You got me thinking OP

If we were all born with a tattoo on our body with the date we die, would we lead a more productive life?

I'm sure if we knew we would be more productive or maybe less. How much would you do today if you knew you were going to die in a week? Would you care?
edit on 26-7-2013 by playernumber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I want to die of old age at a very old age, as long as I am not sick much while I live and I still have all my marbles. Making everything clear when making a wish like this is important. I don't want to be an invalid in a nursing home.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You didn't really give us an answer......beware of the genie.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
You got me thinking OP

Did you get that inspiration from somewhere?.....was thinking that's a great idea for a story or movie plot lol

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

My grandad told me of it years back but I don't think it is new. I just added a little to it.
edit on 26-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join