It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of The Battle Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Is it realistic to think that something such as this (looks above :@@
will be on our battlefield sometime soon, possibly replacing the tank ??

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Kenshin]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   
not likely , i thought so as well but they can only really be effective on solid surfaces or in very difficult terrain. a tank could do better on dirt,sand,mud,grass and basically any kind of soft ground.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
^^^ Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries!!!

Loved that game, although the graphics sucked pretty bad.

You've got a point, these mechs will only have an advantage on difficult terrain, mostly extraplanetary exploration/conquest. They're legs are an extreme weakness as damge to them would lead to loss of mobility.

Also since i've played the game, know from personal experience that its kindve dis-orienting for the pilot as he continuously bobs up n down!!

These would be most useful in exploring unknown rocky terrain(extraterrestrial) along with tank like mechs..Still their legs seem EXTREMELY vulnerable....

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Hmmm, Why do people always think of mechs as weapons of war.
Your missing the advantages to normal day life. In a rescue missions they could be use to tackle terrain cars cant get to. Or simpley lifting things in a factory. Maybe when we get better amour it can be looked to as a weapon of war. But untill then, its better at home.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Vowles]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vowles
Hmmm, Why do people always think of mechs as weapons of war.
Your missing the advantages to normal day life. In a rescue missions they could be use to tackle terrain cars cant get to. Or simpley lifting things in a factory. Maybe when we get better amour it can be looked to as a weapon of war. But untill then, its better at home.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Vowles]

yeah, they would be useful but they require a person to operate them and many companies dont like haveing lots of employee's , less money for them.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
What about smaller more mobile weapon systems such as the machines in the game Heavy Gear 2

This is a more realistic way for the future of warfare to turn to, dont u think >

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Here's a nice link to future technologies being pursued. IMHO the infantry is the most neglected part of America�s battle field deployment. If we can get our guys on the ground stuff like this it will make urban warfare much less hazardous and our casuality rates even lower.

Can you imagine a division of �storm troopers�? Your small-arms fire won�t hurt them, NBC has no effect, they have excellent C&C and local area intel. Makes me want to lose the weight and sign up again.

Future Soldier

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Only fool would make human form armored vehicle, look bugs and you find many various ways to that work way more effectively, anyway nice mechwarrior pictures.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
^^^ Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries!!!

Loved that game, although the graphics sucked pretty bad.

Mechcommander was better
. I don't remeber the names, but the second one should be Hunchback and fourth MadCat or Starslayer?????
I also think big Mechs are not practical, but the smaller one (exoskeleton) is a whole different story : able to run faster and jump higher than soldier, resistant to bullets and fragments and too small and fast to be hit with RPG, pwerfull like a tank and still able to search the houses.
I'll tell you only 1 batalion of them and Falujah would be conquered in 12 hours.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
^^^^ Actually if my memory serves me right longbow was infact a heavy mech with insane amounts of missile banks!!

A perfect support and cover fire mech esp in multiplayer modes!!Anything to do with your ATS nick??

And btw i agree with teh point that mechs will be definitely more useful in the commercial field. As I mentioned before, in case if planetary/asteroid mining/exploration mechs would be best suited.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
In an urban environment they would be ideal as they could tackle corners better than a tank.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Cybers? NOOOOO!!!! I also don't think it would replace the tank, nor will it b built or designed.

Signature: Travel light, but carry a POWERFUL GUN!

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Think how deep those mechs would fall every step, unless its tough as they got some "imagined" thrusters on legs or something to keep their body weight effecting the ground their walking on, anyway i still think Humanoid isnt best possible future war machine idea, if people soon start to use brainwaves to control different vehicles we wont be trapped on current 10 fingers, 2 hands, 2 legs situation and future forms might be something out of our imagine.

top topics

join