It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe the Worst Thing about Methane...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have noticed that methane is in the news again - one source predicts 60 billion dollars lost to the world economy if the arctic frozen methane becomes unfrozen and airborne. Here is a link to an article with links to many other articles: edwardmd.wordpress.com...

This morning, I remembered something my best friend told me a long time before all this global-warming and methane disaster hoopla began. Seems people were wondering about unexplained airplane losses over the ocean, and one theory was that methane "burps" were disrupting engine combustion. Some people decided to test the theory, and injected methane into the combustion gases of an airplane engine. The results surprised them - if I recall what my friend told me correctly, it took only 2% to 5% methane in the air/fuel mix to shut down an engine. If all the methane in the permafrost and at the ocean bottom became airborne, would it result in that high a percentage of methane in the atmosphere? I don't know, but if it did, and all internal-combustion engines shut down, it would just about end our civilization. Maybe there are people here on ATS who can make an educated guess...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I would have to say jenkem is the worst thing about methane. Dont know what it is? You'll be astounded if you look it up.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Methane breaks down after about 12 years in the atmosphere to CO2 and H2O. So, it's not going to stop all combustion engines. Also, one should note that even if all the methane was released, it wouldn't come anywhere near 2% of the atmosphere. It's currently around 1800 parts per billion.

It's possible that polar flights in particular could be more susceptible to the gas emissions though. The worst parts about methane release are that it's 21 times stronger at holding in heat radiation than is CO2, and of course the smell!! We don't want our planet to smell like ass.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

It can also weaken you immune system especially if it is biological methane such as a fart, I am deadly serious there was research done back in the 90's, the idea that it could interrupt the internal combustion process is interesting but I believe there are a number of fixes though they would inevitable reduce the engine efficiency such as catalytic air intake filters (obviously they would not work for a jet engine.) any way I believe we are already past the point of no return were the permafrost has already started releasing it's stored methane and if I remember the study correctly even it we stopped producing green house gas now the methane release is now self sustaining and accelerating but don't let that put the big boys off there new money spinner the carbon credit scheme.

edit on 26-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mnemicrsl

Yes, I looked it up: gross.

new topics

top topics

join