It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminator 2-style liquid metal can now be 3D printed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have always been fascinated by science and technology. Thankfully today we can achieve a lot that can help the earth and her inhabitants.

Michael Dickey and colleagues were able to squeeze out alloy from a syringe where they balanced on each other despite the liquid center. Can this mean a future T-1000 would be able to create? Who knows! Hopefully if we do they're the good guys.

It's not quite as advanced as in Terminator 2, but a way of 3D printing liquid metal could offer a new range of flexible electronics. An alloy of metals gallium and indium that is liquid at room temperature forms a thin skin when exposed to air, which is strong enough to hold the liquid's shape. Michael Dickey of North Carolina State University in Raleigh and colleagues put the alloy in a syringe and were able to squeeze out wires, about a centimetre tall, that stood vertically despite their liquid centre.

Source
edit on 26-7-2013 by Phoenix267 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2013 by Phoenix267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

cool its only a matter of time before they give it AI

Ill flag and star you

thanks for the info

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I think this had alredy been posted.
old news.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I didn't see anything posted and the article mentioned July of this year. I could be the first to post this and there is a thread of something similar.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I think they are miles away from T-1000.
They are close to building a true T-800 sans the flesh-like exoskin.
Which is seriously scary and outright impressive.

We have somewhat flexible electronics already...
But not 3d printable.

Good find!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

No problem. This reminds me of reading about reading the first humanoid terminator in the Terminator series. The Series 70 was create to inspire investors to invest in created more advanced terminators. I just couldn't help to think about that.

new topics

top topics

join