It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barnaby Jack dies days before he was to reveal how to remotely kill pacemaker patients

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Barnaby Jack dies days before he was to reveal how to remotely kill pacemaker patients

rt.com

Security researcher Barnaby Jack has passed away in San Francisco only days before a scheduled appearance at a Las Vegas hacker conference where he intended to show how an ordinary pacemaker could be compromised in order to kill a man.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I ran a search for the guy's name but didn't find anything on his death, sorry if I missed something.
I don't know about anyone else but I find it kind of suspicious that the man dies so close to revealing his information and his methods to the people attending the hacker conference.

Do you fine folks think he was taken down? Notice the cause of death has not been mentioned...

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sounds like a stupid thing to make public if you ask me.

People die and even if murdered this guy doesnt get any sympathy from me, Im sure him dying and taking his info with him will save at least 1 life

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Wouldn't a small electromagnetic pulse be enough... or a directed EM beam. Not that difficult to think of ways to remotely stop a pacemaker.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Or you could drop a giant mysterious dome over the person and make the pacemaker explode *cough*Under the Dome*cough*

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
They could kill every one of us with a frequency. It wouldn't be immediate but within a week we would be dead either from directly dying or from side effects of the brains malfunction. They could call it a pandemic when in fact it was not, this would cause multiple conditions so there would not be any way of proving anyone did it.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Doesn't dick cheney have a pacemaker?

Could be connected. Im sure dick has a small crew of haliburton cronie snipers that could easily take a man out

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, given what he thought was such a good idea to share at a hacker convention, of all places? Perhaps there is justice in the world and karma does come around to see scores settled sometimes. In this case, proactively, perhaps.

How many people have pacemakers?? According to the American Heart Association?

Approximately 400 000 devices are implanted each year in the United States, and there >3 million patients with implanted cardiac devices currently.
Source

It sounds to me like his little claim to fame may well have endangered every single one of them. I have no tears over this man's death. He should never have chosen to make his fame on the grave threat to others. How pathetic a man...and I can guess which direction HIS elevator went in the end.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Those hacker conventions are where exploits in anything electronics are revealed. If they are not revealed, then they will never be fixed unfortunately. Easier to sweep it under the rug and deny, than it is to recall and replace.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I know what the Def Con conventions are. I've been to one. They are quite interesting and a virtual playground for hackers and federal agents alike to play their games on neutral ground, to the backdrop of the lectures that never fail to amaze, most years.

When someone comes up with a hack that can outright murder people from 50 feet away though, I want them to shut their damn pie hole and approach the people who MAKE the products. Only if they fail to address and correct the fatal flaw would I see ANY basis for making the existence of the exploit public, let alone, spelling any of it out in that forum and to that crowd.

It's already done and the damage is there though. Just knowing it CAN be done will have packs of the little rodents out trying to find out HOW to do it. God help us but how long until we hear about the first man dropping dead because some punk had to test the theory and see if it REALLY works?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Paces In The Heart

According to the immutable Law of Irony, the cause of death would be "pacemaker malfunction".

But I think he was a bit young for a pacemaker, and on a more serious note, I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

When someone comes up with a hack that can outright murder people from 50 feet away though, I want them to shut their damn pie hole and approach the people who MAKE the products. Only if they fail to address and correct the fatal flaw would I see ANY basis for making the existence of the exploit public, let alone, spelling any of it out in that forum and to that crowd.

I agree, and to be fair, the source article mentions this:

“Although the threat of a malicious attack to anyone with an implantable device is slim, we want to mitigate these risks no matter how minor,” he wrote on his blog post. At the time, Jack said the vulnerability was being discussed with medical device manufacturers.

As irresponsible as he would seem to be by implication, I don't think he was quite as reckless as we might assume.

Given the circumstances, however, I guess we will probably never know for sure.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Damn.
So, who makes the most money off of pacemakers?
What major corporation is in charge of the majority of pacemakers manufactured and sold?
Should probably look that way... lol

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If you guys would read the article you would find out that he would report the vulnerabilities to the manufacturer
so they could fix them. He did this with other things too. For instance he discovered that insulin pumps could be hacked to kill someone and when he told the company that makes them, they said they would make the corrections in the next upgrade.
Here's another article:
endthelie.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There has been some fishy stuff going on with hackers dieing and others as well exposing truth about certain things.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Damn.
So, who makes the most money off of pacemakers?
What major corporation is in charge of the majority of pacemakers manufactured and sold?
Should probably look that way... lol

Medtronic Minidead, uuhhh I mean Medtronic Minimed makes a large chunk of the pacemaker devices. Medtronic Minimed insulin pumps can use wireless technology to administer insulin. They can also be hacked, as proven in this video:

I imagine that this same companies' products that can be hacked. I doubt they will fix it either, if you watch the video they didn't recall any of the pumps that can receive a wireless signal even when the wireless is turned off on the damned pump! I used to use one of these, and I quit the week I watched this video.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

This was exactly what I was thinking....A targeted microwave or electromagnetic pulse could be sufficient to deactivate a pacemaker.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Good.

Any idiot could figure out how to do this,

Only a complete retard would think that going over it step by step with a bunch of mentally unstable hackers/malcontents who think they have to prove themselves, and are yet somehow "intellectually superior" beings, is a good idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Armadall

Or you could drop a giant mysterious dome over the person and make the pacemaker explode *cough*Under the Dome*cough*

+1

I watched the last episode last night with my Fiance.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

obamacare death panels?

I'm one of those people who want to know the real TRUTH about everything our gov't does - and doesn't do. - and what they might be capable of.

This whole electronic thing - such as people walking around with radioactive cell phones plugged to their head 24 hours a day - It can't be good for you.

What about the "wifi" currents running through the spaces we live in?

I want to know the truth about everything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join