It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT scientists implant a false memory into a mouse’s brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
dang this was already posted here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

sry mods please delete

Wow this is really cool scientists at MIT have successfully implanted a false memory into a mouse’s brain.

They tagged brain cells associated with a specific memory and then tweaked that memory to make the mouse believe something had happened when it hadn’t.

They are saying it should be possible to implant a memory in humans too

Although implanting a memory won’t happen anytime soon in people, in principle, it should be possible to isolate a human memory and activate it at will, scientists said.

“We would have every reason to expect this would happen in humans exactly as it happened in mice,” said Michael J. Kahana, who was not involved in the study but is director of the University of Pennsylvania’s Computational Memory Lab

So I keep thinking about that movie Total Recall and thought it was complete science fiction.

But now I wonder if it might someday be possible.

link

Sometime soon, a lab mouse could wake up thinking he had snuggled up to a girl mouse the night before. But he hadn’t. The memory would be fake.

edit on 26-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think it is scary.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Welcome to Total Recall folks.

I can't wait to have my false vacation memories implanted.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Welcome to Total Recall folks.

I can't wait to have my false vacation memories implanted.

no kidding

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Pretty cool stuff. So, what if "Black Op" science really is some 30 to 40 years ahead of the public realm, as I've always heard?

Don't watch this video or you may forget that this thread even exist.

F&S for the Op.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This will not end well for us citizens. Total recall, not!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This does sound scary, and I am sure such things have already been tested on people for various mind control purposes. However, it has some very interesting possibilities.
For example, what if a drug addict volunteers to have their memories altered so that they believe they've never used so-and-so drug and do not remember the associated feelings? This could revolutionize treatment for addicts. Another possible use would be with sex abuse victims, especially as children. I'm sure many victims of various sex crimes would love to erase the event from their minds. It is not uncommon for pedophiles and child-harmers to have been abused themselves; erasing their memories of such life events may help "rehabilitate" them.
Soldiers coming back from war who have suffered traumatic events could have these events erased from their minds.
It could cure PTSD overnight.
The list goes on and on, and I think if studied and implemented properly, this could actually have legitimate uses.

new topics

top topics

join