It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O.K. you get caught with less than 150 pounds of marijuana so lose the dope and walk free!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.borderlandbeat.com...
What a country!

QUOTE:
Police here say federal authorities generally won't prosecute traffickers moving less than 150 pounds of marijuana with a street value of $120,000. So they leave those cases and the costs to local district attorneys, including Carlos Garcia of Brooks County.

"If we were to accept them, we're accepting them with all those financial responsibilities as well, and right now we're just not at a point where we can do that," Garcia said, adding that they just can't afford it.

The Justice Department used to help pay for the prosecutions in border areas. The funding reached $31 million in 2010 but fell to $5 million this year. There's no money in the White House budget request for next year.

Brooks County, Texas, prosecutor Carlos Garcia -photo above-acknowledges there is not enough money to prosecute trafficking cases of marijuana weighing less than 150 pounds. END QUOTE:

Since suspects can't be released at this highway checkpoint, federal agents are often stuck giving smugglers a ride to the nearest bus stop.

Some of the stuff our border patrol and ICE go through destroys their spirit and is a total farce....

Wonder how many U.S. citizens are enjoying club fed someplace because they had one or two pounds of the stuff on them??

Either way what a frigging joke our drug war is unless you are one of the people who get something planted on you or are in the business.....I know nothing good comes from drugs or alcohol...nothing I have seen, except messed up lives with health and freedoms forfeited.....

The drug war is a failure by any measurement; cheaper more available drugs are in every city and most high schools..... the cost in human lives is terrible.....But there is to much money going to certain people all up and down the chain of distribution so I doubt it will change.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Jeez at that point just take the drugs away from the narco traffickers and sell it back to them.
You want it back? it will cost you x.

Fund the war on drugs by selling the dope back to the traffickers. That'll learn em.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Oh... Brilliant. The Feds are so incredibly intelligent sometimes, I'm blinded by their sheer genius.

So... Has it occurred to the Einsteins that within hours of the first announcement of the 150 figure, every cartel in Mexico and every other organization who might have any interest to know, got the memo that 149lbs 27 Ounces WILL pass right on by Federal Prosecution and hey....locals on the border are far too buried by what ELSE the feds refuse to prosecute to have the physical resources left here.

By the way, however folks feel about the different classes of drugs re: enforcement priorities, this is trafficking weight BY far. This is the level where everyone carries guns because everyone ALWAYS has cash or dope and getting killed is one stupid comment from the outcome to anyone involved in it. No "Victimless" crimes at this level of the "business". So...With that in mind?? What's the deal????????

Our Federal crooks are burning through TRILLIONS per year and running damn near 2 TRILLION a year *OVER* Budget....and they have the nerve to plead POVERTY on criminal prosecutions of border zone drug trafficking?!

How about we're too broke to keep paying salaries to these worthless U.S. Attorneys who won't prosecute a criminal right in front of them?! Oh... border zone.. riiiiiight.... We're supposed to tow the line that crime IS NOT a major problem there huh? Yeah.. I get it...... Illegal Immigration Politics.

edit on 26-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

federal agents are often stuck giving smugglers a ride to the nearest bus stop.

How the Hell Much are we paying for that?

It makes absolutely no sense at all, but then again look at what we are dealing with.

I couldn't help but to notice that it looks like they are building a case for legalization.

It seems to me that the whole legal system is setting up to fail on that.

If it is O.K. to be released without consequence of charges for less than 150, and that is the standard, then imagine all of the drug dealers that are going to have lawyers argue that "Hey, It's under 150 Pounds".

I just don't see how this was a good thing to make public.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

In Texas they use roadside Military Drug sniffing computers.

So the entire arrest is based off an illegal search.

Welcome to Texas. We are sniffing you right now.

Please do not tell me than cannot sniff you as you drive by. I know for a fact.

Google it...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

No disagreement from me. I grew up playing in a band and put myself through school, car, insurance, etc etc with the money I made. I have had friends dead for over 35 years from drugs and or alcohol...Just a personal observation. When getting high or drunk becomes the goal of ones life.....the results are a downward death spiral that is hard if not impossible to pull out from....IMO

Saw a whole bunch of kids in Kingwood, Texas get busted for selling dope. These were the better off kids who were buyers and smokers who finally decided they could support their high by selling...They were caught and they did not get a bus ride home!!

In Humble Texas I took a senior to class one day and made a comment about the Mercedes and BMW which were parked together and how teaches must be making more now than they used too...He laughed and said that the Mercedes belonged to the head drug pusher and the BMW was the car he bought for his girl friend.. I called B.S. and mentioned how I thought the cops came by on inspections and looking for drugs. He said they do every Wednesday between 1 and 2 P.M. .....
Was he telling the truth? Was it a teenage day dream? Or just the way things were at that school?

Again the drug war is a failure just as prohibition was.They say doing something over and over that does not work is a sign of insanity...HELLO, is there anyone out there who sees what is going on?? I am not going to take the time and link the countries that have legalized dope and the results they have had....Lets just say I would trade their program for ours any day and I ain't even a druggie. Our for profit prison system is filled with non violent people who thought they could get away with smoking and whatever ..I am just glad I never felt a need to indulge in anything TPTB deamed illegal; I felt I had to much to lose and I certainly would not want a pilot who had my life in his or her hands thinking about the next hit instead of the job at hand....With the airline we had random piss test that happened..... also, every 6 months I had to take a flight physical which also had the piss test... Because the random test was computer generated name caller it was funny when crews got tested twice in the same day or week....Pissed them off to have to take the time to do the test....So no I do not have the answer other than what a few countries have done so my answer remains "Our drug war is not working, period".

edit on 26-7-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think it's funny when people demand less spending in the Federal government, then they read a news story about reduced spending in Federal government, and they go all ape sh*t about said reduction of spending.

And it's Texas, where we demand less government involvement, except when we want it, and where our State funds are used for nothing ever. God forbid we beef up the border in Texas, or add funding for drug related trials, or education of any kind, and even sell our highway systems to Spain to avoid having to spend one single dollar that could go to the never ending job of redistricting...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I do not know what to say. Well I do know what to say, but I don't want to be post banned again.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
I think it's funny when people demand less spending in the Federal government, then they read a news story about reduced spending in Federal government, and they go all ape sh*t about said reduction of spending.

And it's Texas, where we demand less government involvement, except when we want it, and where our State funds are used for nothing ever. God forbid we beef up the border in Texas, or add funding for drug related trials, or education of any kind, and even sell our highway systems to Spain to avoid having to spend one single dollar that could go to the never ending job of redistricting...

It is all about priorities....Sorry if you can not see that.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I know nothing good comes from drugs or alcohol...nothing I have seen, except messed up lives with health and freedoms forfeited.....

3 things mention.

1 Social. (Messed up lives because of stigma and how people are treated officially and unofficially.)
2 Social. Little access to health care and improper use of things because of access issues.
3.Policy. Freedoms revoked. Freedoms cant shouldn't be forfeited for something that was not considered a crime when the constitution was founded.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Government deficits; I always thought that would be the only thing to end this stupid war, but yet it won't stop those other wars, the ones that are really bad for a young mans health.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by 727Sky

I know nothing good comes from drugs or alcohol...nothing I have seen, except messed up lives with health and freedoms forfeited.....

3 things mention.

1 Social. (Messed up lives because of stigma and how people are treated officially and unofficially.)
2 Social. Little access to health care and improper use of things because of access issues.
3.Policy. Freedoms revoked. Freedoms cant shouldn't be forfeited for something that was not considered a crime when the constitution was founded.

4 Policy Our elected officials are making money with the cartel because they are partners.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Government deficits; I always thought that would be the only thing to end this stupid war, but yet it won't stop those other wars, the ones that are really bad for a young mans health.

www.abovetopsecret.com... 4.2 billion they took in last year from confiscating property from druggies and normal American citizens...Well funded program with our tax dollars too

new topics

top topics

join