It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To this day, Coca-Cola still imports coca leaves which are used to manufacture cocaine in the United

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

It's written pretty clearly in the wiki article what happens:

The coc aine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the coc aine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 26-7-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

No monopoly.

Here's the register of US companies that import substances like coca:

www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov...

edit on 26-7-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)
thanks for the link, but just glancing through the list given, Mallinckrodt is the only that can import coca leaves themselves. but that link you gave is very interesting.

check that: Johnson matthey does also.
edit on 26-7-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: i was wrong

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

And Stepan Company aren't on the list this year either, they are on the 2011 list though.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
We are all missing the point here. There will always be a "War on Drugs" but there will never be victory. Drug money is one of the biggest money makers for the US Gov't. Why would they stop providing the tools to their successful business.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
We are all missing the point here. There will always be a "War on Drugs" but there will never be victory. Drug money is one of the biggest money makers for the US Gov't. Why would they stop providing the tools to their successful business.

That my friend is indeed the point. the war on drugs is a joke that keeps corporations making huge profits.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thanks guys for the clarification. It seems just like marijuana, some leaves ( hemp ) have no "kick" ...but some do?

Sorry OP if I got off subject. It always has seemed very dubious to me that drugs that are illegal and a target of the "drug war" can be bought and sold by governments and big pharma Co's legally ? Now I guess some of this is used in legal medicines, but does any hit the "black market" the streets?

I don't know that much about prescription drugs, but could the rise in prescription drug use and abuse be connected somehow?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
While it is pretty much general knowledge that Coca Cola put coc aine in their beverage at the beginning, it is little known that Coca Cola is the only U.S. corporation who can legally import coca leaves into the U.S. to this day.

Coca-Cola is the only U.S. corporation that has been granted the right to legally import coca leaves into the United States, via a coca processing lab known as the Stepan Company). In 1922, the Jones-Miller Act banned coc aine imports into the United States, but Coca-Cola (and its lab) was granted an exception. This exception remained a secret until the late 1980's when the New York Times seemed shocked to discover the truth.

You may be wondering how much they actually import, especially since we have a war on drugs.

Approximately 100 metric tons of coca leaves are imported to the Stepan Company each year (en.wikipedia.org...) under "special permission" from the DEA. Keep all this in mind when you consider the total fraud of the current "War on Drugs" and how young African American men are given ten-year prison sentences for pot possession while one of the largest corporations in America is actually importing leaves that are used to manufacture coc aine.

So what do they do with all of these coca leaves since we know coc aine doesn't go into the product anymore? Glad you asked.

This brings up an obvious question: Where does all the white powder coc aine go if not to Coca-Cola? It turns out that this coc aine is sold to a St. Louis company called Mallinckrodt Incorporated. Mallinckrodt receives not only all the coc aine from the Coca-Cola imports, but also imports opium from India (en.wikipedia.org...). In addition, this company also buys THC extracted from marijuana grown in the United States. So much for the War on Drugs, huh? It turns out if you buddy up to the DEA and federal regulators, you can make all the coc aine you want while buying opium and marijuana by the ton -- as long as you're a powerful corporation with ties to Coca-Cola and other wealthy organizations.

You can read the full article here.

The war on drugs is obviously a sick joke, and it needs to be ended. Corporations are running this country and getting filthy rich in the process from the so called "war". 100 tons of coca leaves make 333 kilos of coc aine, which is A LOT of money.

P.S. According to Wiki Answers, 333,000 grams of coc aine is worth roughly $16.7 million on the street (at $50 a gram).

I'm laughing so hard right now. You do realize that coc aine is a local anesthetic and astringent used in surgery and the opium is used to create pain medications of course?

I'm against the WOD, but the article is a bit hysterical and a tad bit ignorant.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

good questions. there is no telling how all the government is involved in the drug trade. I have a feeling it is sickening.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

While it is pretty much general knowledge that Coca Cola put coc aine in their beverage at the beginning, it is little known that Coca Cola is the only U.S. corporation who can legally import coca leaves into the U.S. to this day.

Coca-Cola is the only U.S. corporation that has been granted the right to legally import coca leaves into the United States, via a coca processing lab known as the Stepan Company). In 1922, the Jones-Miller Act banned coc aine imports into the United States, but Coca-Cola (and its lab) was granted an exception. This exception remained a secret until the late 1980's when the New York Times seemed shocked to discover the truth.

You may be wondering how much they actually import, especially since we have a war on drugs.

Approximately 100 metric tons of coca leaves are imported to the Stepan Company each year (en.wikipedia.org...) under "special permission" from the DEA. Keep all this in mind when you consider the total fraud of the current "War on Drugs" and how young African American men are given ten-year prison sentences for pot possession while one of the largest corporations in America is actually importing leaves that are used to manufacture coc aine.

So what do they do with all of these coca leaves since we know coc aine doesn't go into the product anymore? Glad you asked.

This brings up an obvious question: Where does all the white powder coc aine go if not to Coca-Cola? It turns out that this coc aine is sold to a St. Louis company called Mallinckrodt Incorporated. Mallinckrodt receives not only all the coc aine from the Coca-Cola imports, but also imports opium from India (en.wikipedia.org...). In addition, this company also buys THC extracted from marijuana grown in the United States. So much for the War on Drugs, huh? It turns out if you buddy up to the DEA and federal regulators, you can make all the coc aine you want while buying opium and marijuana by the ton -- as long as you're a powerful corporation with ties to Coca-Cola and other wealthy organizations.

You can read the full article here.

The war on drugs is obviously a sick joke, and it needs to be ended. Corporations are running this country and getting filthy rich in the process from the so called "war". 100 tons of coca leaves make 333 kilos of coc aine, which is A LOT of money.

P.S. According to Wiki Answers, 333,000 grams of coc aine is worth roughly $16.7 million on the street (at $50 a gram).

I'm laughing so hard right now. You do realize that coc aine is a local anesthetic and astringent used in surgery and the opium is used to create pain medications of course?

I'm against the WOD, but the article is a bit hysterical and a tad bit ignorant.
..........ok. yes I am aware they are used in medications as others have already stated. this is mainly about the way corporations are in bed with the government to be able to import this products. if they were legal, something tells me the profit margins might not be so high for the corporations.

your disrespect is not appreciated.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I think it was arounbd 1929 when they stopped adding it to the formula.

Yup, they removed it in 1929. Then came The Great Depression.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yeah, I know that this is all about corporations being just evil and corporationy and stuff, but drugs are illegal because the majority of Americans believe in using the coercive power of government to force their values upon their fellow citizens.

The WOD is a sham yet Carrie Nation types keep voting for it.
Coca Cola is not the problem: big government nanny state types are.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Not sure how many of the ATS community watched Comedy Central... They have a new show called "Drunk History" If you haven't watched it, it's a riot of a laugh~ Recently they did a piece on the invention of Coca-Cola...

Here it is

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

So,. . .. maybe we were suffereing "Withdrawls" and Not Depression afterall.

Should that really be reanmed to the Great Withdrawl ?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

For the most part, corporations make up the government. So, yes, corporations like coca cola are the problem.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

For the most part, corporations make up the government. So, yes, corporations like coca cola are the problem.

For the most part, people vote and empower the government. Problems come from a combination of voter apathy and voter bribability. As Pogo said," we met the enemy and they are us."

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

A fair point, but voters are ill informed. And on purpose I might add. The game is rigged as I'm sure you know since you seem like a fairly intelligent person.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

So,. . .. maybe we were suffereing "Withdrawls" and Not Depression afterall.

Should that really be reanmed to the Great Withdrawl ?
Yup, my point exactly. And if you consider the high-energy dancing and partying of The Roaring Twenties, all prior to removal of the ingredient, it adds a little credence to the concept...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

That is a damn good eye on ya.

I didn't even realize it until you mentioned it.

I wonder if we go back and check the stock tickers from that time if we will see a trend prior to that.

Maybe that is what really Crashed the Market.

You never know.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I worked at Coca Cola for year in there QC departmnet.

The coc aine once extracted goes to Pharma company. I think its used to make alot of medications that are derivatives of coc aine.

Coca cola = Good Medication=Good

They could be skimming stuff of the sides to sell illegaly but I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

That is a damn good eye on ya.
Why thank you.

I wonder if we go back and check the stock tickers from that time if we will see a trend prior to that.

Maybe that is what really Crashed the Market.
I know, wouldn't it be interesting to find out exactly what day the new batch went on the shelves, and follow the societal trends (including Wall Street) from that moment on... Like, did people suddenly start missing more work, or going out less. If so, that could very well have precipitated economic ills.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join