It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA targets medical marijuana collectives in washington state

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I live in Washington state. I lost my brother (in law) to pancreatic cancer on April 12th this year. While undergoing chemo and radiation, he said that the treatment affected his taste buds somehow and most everything tasted like...if I remember correctly, paste or something else gross. He was able to get what we call a "green" card in order to get medicinal MJ. It helped settle his stomach quite a bit and also helped him to be able to actually eat a little. He had become so extremely thin because of both the nausea and the fact that food tasted so horrible to him. I fully believe that without the medical MJ he might have actually starved to death.

Yeah - these are the "criminal" types that the feds are spending their time, effort and our money on trying to bust.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

sceptic overlord says he now wants to discuss this matter openly, again why bother since we all know the reason and it will not change it on a fed level unless the feds fall down on their own. just blowing worthless wind in the air.

this thread will probably be removed anyway.

That has been happening already. Some open discussion.
C'mon ATS, head out of the sand, please. There is a new paradigm to implement and we need to have positive input.

Scary the militarized police and the federal agencies that routinely point their guns in peoples' faces. No need for that.

well in all fairness to the site and it's owner, he has a good point. i think he just wants to keep his forum open as long as possible to do as much good for those he can, when and where it can. our society is in very poor condition and many lives are at stake and that must always trump lesser, yet still related subjects.

i have had a thread taken down so i know it's tough but at the same time i fully support the administration (Skeptic Overlord)on this one. maybe if we can all dig deeper into the govt. side of things we can effect some change in some way.

i don't really need to discuss that topic for and education i could probably jot down a few things i have learned of this issue over the decades. as my point stands on it's own merit and that being, the govt. is bought n paid for by the very people at the top of the drug, banking, military, corporate industrial complex so there's only one way that ends and it ain't by discussing symptoms.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

one of the big things that seems to get missed is that of the 18 co-ops (legal state businesses) only four warrants were served.

www.alternet.org...

it is as much about state rights, as it is about due process of the law.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

www.abovetopsecret.com...

QUOTE:
Police here say federal authorities generally won't prosecute traffickers moving less than 150 pounds of marijuana with a street value of $120,000. So they leave those cases and the costs to local district attorneys, including Carlos Garcia of Brooks County.

"If we were to accept them, we're accepting them with all those financial responsibilities as well, and right now we're just not at a point where we can do that," Garcia said, adding that they just can't afford it.

The Justice Department used to help pay for the prosecutions in border areas. The funding reached $31 million in 2010 but fell to $5 million this year. There's no money in the White House budget request for next year.

Brooks County, Texas, prosecutor Carlos Garcia -photo above-acknowledges there is not enough money to prosecute trafficking cases of marijuana weighing less than 150 pounds. END QUOTE:

With the actions of some in our government it is evident the right hand does not know what the left is doing in so many cases that it is becoming SOP for their inaine policies and screw ups.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Thanks OP for the post.

Just what the hell happened to We The People, the treasonous DEA satanists soldiers ignore their masters and should all be put down or in prison where they belong for ignoring the will of the people.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Except nobody is still scared of it....
U.S. News

A majority of Americans are in favor of legalizing the use of marijuana, a national survey finds, a shift in attitude after more than four decades of polling on the issue.
Fifty-two percent of Americans say the use of marijuana should be made legal, while 45 percent say it should not, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in March among 1,501 adults. People aged 18 to 32 are the most supportive group, but half of baby boomers now favor legalizing marijuana, too.

The survey shows the acceptance rate has risen 11 points since 2010. The shift is even more dramatic when taking into account a 1969 Gallup survey showing that only 12 percent of Americans favored legalization.

This is very scary and needs to be stopped immediately.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by subfab
these raids on medical marijuana businesses really is un-necessary.

it's not like they will be going any where. these business owners are not like a street dealer with a hand kerchief around his face. I mean come on!

people would not be as upset if they took the businesses to court and had an open sensible discussion. instead the DEA runs in, guns drawn, and make a scene. on the television it looks like something right out of the al pacino film "scarface."

it's a real shame too. both sides can come to the table and talk like adults. instead we get this nonsense.

www.kirotv.com...

pretty simple really, the drug you speak of is a money maker for the elite and they use the government to enforce their will, they don't want anyone being healthy or happy so we can all go home now because discussion will do nothing. it's not about science, nor morals, it's about complete control of the people so why bother discussing symptoms any longer, waste of time if you ask me.

sceptic overlord says he now wants to discuss this matter openly, again why bother since we all know the reason and it will not change it on a fed level unless the feds fall down on their own. just blowing worthless wind in the air.

this thread will probably be removed anyway.

indeed, but most would rather bury their heads in the sand, than accept that the federal government and it's agencies
are for the most part criminal syndicates

these medical marijuana clinics set a dangerous [for the government] precedent and are cutting into the government's profits.

they want cancer victims to purchase their MJ from government-approved suppliers:

the local street dealers.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It isn't about controlling the people or making them get their product from the street.
It is about capitalism. The rich, getting richer.
This likely is the finally cleaning stages, the simple push to ensure that the market is fully balanced before legalization. That way the small business owner's are out of the way and less of a threat then the pre-fabricated corporate model that will roll out within the next few years.

If one newly converted pot-smoking visionary has his way, the Washington-based company he created will become the Starbucks or Coca Cola of the cannabis industry. He even has plans to import marijuana from south of the border–currently illegal according to international law—and he’s apparently got the former president of Mexico on board.

Read more: business.time.com...

As soon as Washington/Colorado iron out their licensing/tax control methods you will see a great explosion of legalizing through a majority of states.
Once there is serious money in play the Feds will back off and let the tax and lobbying revenue pile up.

edit on 27-7-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

you make some great points Thorneblood.

with any commodity, there will be major players jockeying to become the "coca cola" of the industry. What's different here is, cannabis can be grown in your back yard or closet. (from what I've read not from experience). so a small "starbucks" type of establishment in the middle of your home town could have it's own grown stuff. probably only enjoyed by locals instead of the tourists. this would help (in my opinion) regulate the price of cannabis. I can see it happening at least on a regional level. perhaps even as small as a neighborhood level but it would have some impact on the industry as a whole.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I am not sure i understand what you are saying.
You can grow your own vegetables too, but there is still a 70 billion dollar market for them here in America and we never eat our veggies.

Who is going to grow their own in NYC or Boston when it is already growing in vast fields overseas (and locally) and can be easily cultivated/packaged and sold like pipe tobacco?
The Starbucks of Pot is just the fast food version. The quick and easy fix on your way home from work, similar to a bar.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck
I started a thread 3 years ago about this subject in relation to the Michigan law that had passed a couple years prior to that. The Feds were collecting information then and now they are making their moves.

Check out that thread here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Those few posts are related to the ones here.

So why are others able to get their old thread links? I had 2 important threads, one on medical studies by US cancer agency, and one about Canada striking down the laws, and when you click into them they still have that onimous ugly fascist bullying black You Couldn't Say NO, as if you had done something terrible and were abusing the forums, when my 2 threads never did, don't even smoke the stuff.

Are our old threads coming back because I'm still furious that they were taken like that.

And found that black page to be incredibly and criminally insulting.
edit on 27-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Gov. Jay Inslee said he had a duty to the citizens of Washington to enforce the law.

“I was not supportive of the initiative,” Inslee said at a press conference in November, but he added: “I will be working in very rational ways to convince the [Obama] administration that this is in the best interest not only of our state, but of the country.”

Since then, the governor has met with Attorney General Eric Holder and other Obama administration officials with some success.

“We’ve got bigger fish to fry,” the president said in December about going after pot users in Washington and Colorado, which also legalized the drug in November.

In Washington, state regulators have vowed to keep marijuana out of the wrong hands. On July 3, the State Liquor Control Board outlined a 42-page rulebook on public and consumer safety in the new market.

Washington State I-502 Proposed Rules
Bainbridge Review

August 14
Board adopts rules;

September 16
Effective date for rules; and

September 16
WSLCB begins accepting applications for all license types.

December 1
Rules are complete (as mandated by law). Begin issuing Producer, Processor
and Retail licenses to qualified applicants.

* Should the draft rules need substantial changes after submitting for comment, the WSLCB is required
by law to resubmit the CR 102. Resubmitting the CR 102 could move the license issuance date to late
December 2013.

So by this time next year you should see at least some small marijuana businesses in these states, and quite possibly one corporate interest.

The Colorado Department of Revenue released a 60-plus page report Monday detailing the rules of how recreational marijuana should be licensed, regulated and sold in Colorado.

The recreational marijuana industry in Colorado will be regulated by the state revenue department.

Huffington Post
Colorado Dept of Revenue

All retail marijuana products must also contain these warning statements:

“There may be health risks associated with the consumption of this product.”
“This product is intended for use by adults 21 years and older. Keep out of the reach of children.”
“This product is unlawful outside the State of Colorado.”
“This product is infused with Retail Marijuana.”
“This product was produced without regulatory oversight for health, safety, or efficacy.”
“The intoxicating effects of this product may be delayed by two or more hours.
Recreational marijuana buyers must produce a government-issued photo ID to prove that they are 21-years-old or older.

Colorado adults, 21 and over, will be limited to purchasing up to an ounce of marijuana for recreational use from specialty licensed retail shops that can also sell pot-related items such as pipes and accessories. Coloradans can also grow up to six plants -- with only three flowering at a given time -- in their home for personal use. Adults can possess up to an ounce of marijuana legally.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Daily Chronic!

Wednesday’s raid on the four dispensaries in Washington may have cost an upwards of $12.3 million, according to analysts from Americans for Safe Access, a national patient rights organization.

According to data from ASA’s What’s the Cost? report, the two year investigation and Wednesday’s raids may have cost taxpayers $12,327,732 — and that doesn’t include the cost to prosecute dispensary operators in court, or house them in federal correctional institutions for upwards of ten years or more.

While the raids themselves cost just over $300,000, the lengthy investigations leading up to the raids cost taxpayers a staggering $12,014,334 according to ASA’s calculations.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

It isn't about controlling the people or making them get their product from the street.
It is about capitalism. The rich, getting richer.
This likely is the finally cleaning stages, the simple push to ensure that the market is fully balanced before legalization. That way the small business owner's are out of the way and less of a threat then the pre-fabricated corporate model that will roll out within the next few years.

If one newly converted pot-smoking visionary has his way, the Washington-based company he created will become the Starbucks or Coca Cola of the cannabis industry. He even has plans to import marijuana from south of the border–currently illegal according to international law—and he’s apparently got the former president of Mexico on board.

Read more: business.time.com...

As soon as Washington/Colorado iron out their licensing/tax control methods you will see a great explosion of legalizing through a majority of states.
Once there is serious money in play the Feds will back off and let the tax and lobbying revenue pile up.

it's very much about control, if you don't have control you don't have obedience and we all know what that brings to a country's leadership. the getting rich part is a side benefit of total control of people, nations.

as far as what you will see in "years" from our government, well i wouldn't worry too much about that, since they wont be operational for a whole lot longer, by their own hand i might add.

yes if you're still thinking with a normalcy bias, you're falling behind. our economy is completely bogus, globally, and it will fall under it's own weight soon i would imagine, well it will last as long as enough people continue to believe the lies, once that changes and more people become aware, it will go quickly.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

yes it's true a lot of people will shop the corporate stores. but there will always be a market for home grown, organic grown, consumables.

from farmer's markets to locally grown organic fruits and vegetables there is always an alternative to the mass produced products of corporations. and add to it that the cannabis plant is essentially a weed. (no pun intended) it will grow in just about any environment. a lot of people will try to grow their own. I agree the market needs a supply of product from a corporate type of organization. but the balance will come not from legislation but from the average person. granted this is just my opinion. I never grew cannabis so I don't know how easy or difficult it is to create a usable product.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would say it is moderately difficult to grow and time consuming, your typical home grower might have a few plants but it would be nothing worth supporting a regular habit with.
At least not for the average person.

A good comparison would be beer.

You can obviously brew your own beer but it is easier to just go buy a six pack.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I would say it is moderately difficult to grow and time consuming, your typical home grower might have a few plants but it would be nothing worth supporting a regular habit with.
At least not for the average person.

A good comparison would be beer.

You can obviously brew your own beer but it is easier to just go buy a six pack.

I live in CO, having had my med card for a few years now, I have tried the growing route. I can honestly say it's a blast, very therapeutic and uplifting caring for plants. I didn't think it was difficult at all and my yields were not bad, I never had to buy any while I grew my own.

I had to stop because I had a new baby in the house and the grow room was a small closet in the home that was not legal with a baby involved and a separate unattached building was required. I guess babies were getting into grow rooms or something.

I have not found anything as safe and medicinal as cannabis, it can replace just about every single pharmaceutical poison there is in a safe and healthy manner.

It's no wonder they are fighting it tooth and nail.

<< 1   >>

join