It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil's Army Moves To Protect Indigenous Awá Tribe By Halting Illegal Logging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This is something a feel very strongly about. I believe that the remaining tribal people of the world should be left alone in peace if they choose to be. That they should be declared sovereign nations and given the same rights as countries. Very often the nations in which they live are implicit in there destruction.

Here Brazil has stepped in to help the Awa tribe who are under threat from illegal loggers.

They're known by some as Earth's Most Threatened Tribe, but now Brazil's indigenous Awá population is getting help from a powerful force -- the national army

. According to Survival International, a U.K.-based tribal rights group, Brazil's military has deployed tanks, helicopters, and hundreds of soldiers in the Amazon as part of a major ground operation to combat illegal logging. Since the mission began in late June, security forces have shut down at least eight saw mills, with machinery and other equipment seized and destroyed.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Finally, a move to protect these tribes and by default our rainforests .
Hope it works out for both of these.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I read somewhere that rainforest deforestation had increased by 475% this year. I do not know how accurate that is, but is sounds sever. The people of the forest and the forests themselves need as much help as we can give them. We see a lot of western nations talking about protecting the environment. Why dont they put their money where their mouths are and and broker deals to protect the forests.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Thank you for posting this Op. I feel it is very important that peeps are made aware of the crap the indigenous peoples of many countries have to suffer through. Why they cannot just leave them be I do not know... They have been there far longer than we...

We could also learn alot from these peeps. They work as one with each other and nature herself.. They are probably the most free of all peeps on this earth. They should be granted protection and left to do their tribe thing. And if per chance they do want to integrate into society which I kinda doubt. Then they should be allowed to do so. They are human beings too. No more and no less than us...

It is terrible how the indigenous peeps the world over are treated. I think many countries feel embarrassed by them. Which they should not be. They should be proud...

It is not dissimilar to the Belo Monte Dam situation. Albeit the 40 tribes that will be driven out have no protection from anyone. I might put a thread up about this one too. Peeps need to be made aware of what is happening. And what is happening is wrong on so many levels...

amazonwatch.org...

I hope more peeps read this thread and are made aware. Good thread purp...

edit on 27-7-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
We're discussing this thread on ATS Live tonight! - click the link for more details
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Thank you for that...

top topics

join