It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate threatens to sanction countries that aid Snowden

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, if we go purely by comparing the reactions of the President with those of congress, one would have to assume that there is something in the data Mr Snowden has control over at this time, which makes congress itself look either shady, furtive, or perhaps some sort of evidence that congress has taken steps which are outside of its remit, perhaps the creation of secretive departments, and the instigation of under the radar operations of some sort. Perhaps there is evidence that congress has gone over the head of the President on some matters entirely?

That said, politicians are like actors, in that the entire job makes a profession out of lying. Perhaps congress merely want to appear proactive in this matter, so start rumbling about serious sanctions (when they know full well that they havent a leg to stand on setting something like that up, over an issue of this nature). Perhaps behind the scenes, Mr Obama has considerable assets chasing down the Snowden issue, or perhaps Obama and Putin have already discussed the issue, and in return for a favour or two, Putin has agreed to buddy up to Snowden before screwing him over? Things are rarely as simple as one is lead to believe during the outworking of such a scenario. Often people only learn the truth about any given event, many years after the fact has already passed, and the players receeded into the thick velvet folds of history.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
chenney outed an cia operative. Should america sanction itself?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
America is going to burn some serious bridges with this...

A part of me hopes they actually do this.
There are already millions of people around the world boycotting US tech companies, and US business is already suffering because of the revelations. I can imagine that there will be long lasting economic damage to American brands of all kinds unless something changes.

This is likely to spread far beyond the tech companies involved in Prism now that the US government is behaving like this, and I think it's needed.

The US government is underestimating the world, thinking it's all-powerful and mighty. South America is already up in arms, and much of Europe is seething with anger toward the US now too thanks to the pandering actions of their own pathetically weak governments.

Bring it on, lets see how the US attitude to this scandal can further destroy the influence and ever-decreasing respect America has around the world!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I see this as a much bigger issue than just us getting some guy back to the states..I see this as a total weakening of US influence continuing throughout the world.

I guess our Commander in Chief does not have the clout he had hoped...Would love to hear China make him an offer...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No they aren't. They are sheep fed Obama lovers. Take it for what it is.

You clearly do not understand the political game. They may be "Obama lovers" now out of necessity, but each and every one of them is more concerned about how their careers will move forward after Obama leaves office. Government officials - elected or appointed - ALWAYS have their eye on the future.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This is very unfortunate. What do you think will happen if they sanction Russia? Nothing good will come out of this.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So what the free country wants their free citizen back, or the free country will make the less free country less free.

What a load old phooey!!!!

The senate is acting like a bully that just got told on for doing the things bully's do

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wrote a thread predicting that Russia would trade Snowden for Viktor Bout, but they have clearly opted to use him as a club to beat the Americans with and it is working like a charm. America has been twisting in the wind for weeks over Snowden and the Russians have to be delighted that their "American partners" are showing the world a disturbing and childish part of the American character. Spiteful. Grandiose. Vengeful. Impatient. Coercive. Threatening.

But don't get me wrong, I'm on America's team and always have been. It's a thankless task. America's team needs new management or a new management strategy.

America needs to shut up on Snowden and deal with the issues presented by his disclosures and defection. America needs to shut up overall. It needs to THINK. It needs to ACT. PRUDENTLY.

Somebody has got to get a message through to the very wealthy grey eminences at the top of American society that the world and most particularly, the American people, are not their enemy. The world is changing. America has to stop acting like Captain Queeg in the Caine Mutiny, worrying about who took his strawberries.

To survive on this planet, going forward, America has to develop ways to look after its interests in a live and let live world. The "winner take all" mentality has to go and this is not a disaster. The world is a fun and exciting place with pleasures and challenges enough for all. There is terrific entertainment available for those who want to solve problems creatively. It's fun to do so.

Society's oligarchs have to get in on the fun. They need a different approach to the "game of the world". It could be a magnificent symphony of cooperation instead of a carnival of crime.

edit on 26-7-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just can't shake the feeling he is sitting on something massive and the US government know it. His disclosures are hardly worthy of the effort that is being put in to getting him. I think when it comes out eventually it will be big.

US certainly are burning through bridges fast over this, they wouldn't do that unless he knew something. I used to be team US, now seeing this side of the US GOV i dislike them as much as my own corrupt government.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's too broad a definition for a court of law. "Assisting" Snowden could mean too many things.

So far, Hong Kong, China, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Russia would be on the list. USA can't afford sanctions against ANY of them, with maybe the exception of Bolivia.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
It's too broad a definition for a court of law. "Assisting" Snowden could mean too many things.

So far, Hong Kong, China, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Russia would be on the list. USA can't afford sanctions against ANY of them, with maybe the exception of Bolivia.

Don't forget Ecuador and Iceland. I agree about being unable to afford sanctions against the giants.

Simple rattling of the proverbial sabers

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How about threatening those who ACTUALLY VIOLATED the Constitution instead of threatening those who did nothing but reveal these violations...? Shouldn’t this be common sense? Somebody please explain, is this the “USA” or the “UBA” = United Banana Republic of America?
edit on 26-7-2013 by giugliot because: spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In other words, they are looking for an excuse to start another WAR.

These people do Not represent the will of We The People. Snowden is a Hero to most Americans. Ask yourself - are we better off knowing the amount of government corruption that goes on because of Snowden?

I believe we are.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Pressure is on now. America seems to want to get their hands on Snowden (naturally). Going as far as sanctions.

Not what America wants. It is what the Corrupt-paid-for-by-Lobbyists, Corporate Fascist Military Industrial Complex wants.

The Citizens don't want this and the majority see him as a Hero.

What do we think about this ATS?

There is a new poll out
Multiple Polls: Americans Are More Afraid of the GOVERNMENT than TERRORISTS

Americans turn against government as poll shows a majority SUPPORT Edward Snowden as a whistle-blower, not a traitor

There's another poll I'm still looking for that says that 60-70% of Americans want to kick everyone out of Office and start anew

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
In other words, they are looking for an excuse to start another WAR.

These people do Not represent the will of We The People. Snowden is a Hero to most Americans. Ask yourself - are we better off knowing the amount of government corruption that goes on because of Snowden?

I believe we are.

We will NOT go to war with Russia. You are mental if you insinuate otherwise. Russia or China is not Iraq.

Further, Snowden is not an American hero. I do not agree with trampling the 4th amendment or blanket surveillance of Americans. He see activities should be dealt with appropriately. But Snowden has shown his agenda and it is not as an innocent whistle-blower. He has released information which was not necessary for the sole purpose of harming the US as an institution. These actions may cost innocent lives.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
US sanctions against Russia would be a futile gesture.

China wouldn't go along and the EU couldn't go along, they get a large amount of their gas from Russia.

Who does that leave?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

More acts of war I see.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So the Senate wants to "punish" Russia because the NSA is butt hurt. Amazing.

Does the NSA really have that kinda' leverage/extortion on those stooges in Congress? They must. The caliber of politicians we have now-a-days makes for easy pickings. Closets bursting with skeletons.

They are like lobbyists except they take money instead.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Or maybe Snowden has enough information on Russia to keep Putin on his best behavior?

Just a thought.

The fact that he is in Russia in the first place doesn't make any sense.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Just goes to show you what douchebags our "elected" representatives are.

Suppose they do sanction other countries. Like Cuba, those other countries will find a way to get around whatever the US puts in place.

Apparently, no one in government has grasped just how stupid we look regarding our actions towards Snowden.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join