It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate threatens to sanction countries that aid Snowden

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Senate threatens to sanction countries that aid Snowden

rt.com

The Senate Appropriations Committee said Thursday that they want the Department of State to consider imposing sanctions on any nation willing to assist NSA leaker Edward Snowden.

A hearing held by the 30 member, bi-partisan Senate committee Thursday afternoon in Washington ended with a unanimous decision by way of voice vote to move towards sanctioning countries coming to the aid of the former intelligence analyst.

Snowden, 30, has been charged with espionage and other counts by the United States for leaking classified National Security Agency documents to the media. He has been on the r
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Pressure is on now. America seems to want to get their hands on Snowden (naturally). Going as far as sanctions. Russia hasn't said much in regards to Snowden's asylum request. I have a feeling they will take it to get the info he has.

They are willing to push sanctions that might say something as to the info he has.

What do we think about this ATS?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well, I'll throw my two cents in. I think that finally cracked that frown of Putins and gave him his best laugh in a long time.

These guys aren't the sharpest knives in the butcher block, are they? We need better people in Congress. It's almost embarrassing.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No they aren't. They are sheep fed Obama lovers. Take it for what it is.

Snowden can request asylum anywhere... The fact they will throw sanctions at them is, obviously crazy, this isn't political... or is it?

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I personally hope my country would provide amnesty for him, he is a hero. PERIOD. May many many more whistleblowers come forward.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Canada would be a bad place for Snowden... I would like to think he would be safe, but he wouldn't. They would swoop in and take him. Either that or Canada would hand him over for fear of sanctions...

America is going to burn some serious bridges with this...

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Russia will take him in.. but the US will drop him one way or another.
I hope he does something similar to Assange and puts all his information into a insurance aspect.. so if he does all of a sudden have a heart attack.. ..then release the info!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well that's some treasonous BS, heres some helpful info.

IF you care about you're rights, do something.

members of the committee contact info.

I am in oregon, so Ill be writing Jeff Merkley shortly.

Member contact

Barbara Mikulski, Maryland, Chair
Patrick Leahy, Vermont
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Patty Murray, Washington
Dianne Feinstein, California
Dick Durbin, Illinois
Tim Johnson, South Dakota
Mary Landrieu, Louisiana
Jack Reed, Rhode Island
Mark Pryor, Arkansas
Jon Tester, Montana
Tom Udall, New Mexico
Jeanne Shaheen, New Hampshire
Jeff Merkley, Oregon
Mark Begich, Alaska
Chris Coons, Delaware

Nita M. Lowey, New York
Marcy Kaptur, Ohio
Peter J. Visclosky, Indiana
José E. Serrano, New York
Rosa L. DeLauro, Connecticut
James P. Moran, Virginia
Ed Pastor, Arizona
David E. Price, North Carolina
Lucille Roybal-Allard, California
Sam Farr, California
Chaka Fattah, Pennsylvania
Sanford D. Bishop, Jr., Georgia
Barbara Lee, California
Adam B. Schiff, California
Michael M. Honda, California
Betty McCollum, Minnesota
Tim Ryan, Ohio
Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Florida
Henry Cuellar, Texas
Chellie Pingree, Maine
Mike Quigley, Illinois

The US pursuit if whistleblower a like Snowden and Manning is embarrassing, these men need medals instead or government wants them in shackles, damn shame what the US has become.
edit on 26-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I sincerely doubt those congressman have the censored to sanction Russia.

To be blunt.

edit on 26-7-2013 by neo96 because: keepin it TC friendly

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Most def. I'd love to see them try it.

It would end up being a huge epic fail...

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

To be blunt.

The frightening thing is they may believe their own bull#, this with Syria cold be very bad for future relations abroad.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by neo96

To be blunt.

The frightening thing is they may believe their own bull#, this with Syria cold be very bad for future relations abroad.

Contrary to popular opinion on ATS think that is why the US is dragging it's feet in Syria with classic 'leading from behind'.

No No don't upset Russia or China!.

That's really a case of both sides believe the crap they are selling each other.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

OH heaven forbid we do something like that?

Russia want's Snowden. They are just using their acting skills... Which are not that good. They want him so they can get access to his info.

Russia will give Snowden a ultimatum, "give us the documents or we'll deny you asylum". Pretty simple. Snowden, under pressure will prolly crack....

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Does the senate realise that no other country is beholden to such sanctions? I hope every other country tells 'Mercia!!!' to go screw itself!

IRM

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

They can sanction countries like Iran (for different reasons). Do you think this or will be any different?

At best this is just a threat.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I've noticed something on this whole Snowden thing here that I find real interesting as I've started to think about it. Has anyone else noticed who is all worked up and mad vs. who isn't? Congress...or at least some in Congress are mad enough to spit nails and go chase Snowden down themselves to hear them talk.

Meanwhile...

Obama isn't missing a beat, has his own people downplaying it and while he's absolutely not forgotten this by any stretch of the imagination, seems generally unperturbed by it. No more upset than Wikileaks and Cable-Gate made him, anyway.

Now why is that? It SHOULD be the other way around??? Obama is Executive, which is all the enforcement of the Government. He's in charge of being mad and finding Snowden. Congress really has no stake in that part, directly, either way. The public is largely split on this by polls, so it's not even a politically wise move by any obvious measure, either direction. Silence is probably a much better idea....yet, they scream.

Why would that be?? I've been sitting here, trying to figure out just why CONGRESS would have more to fear or be pissed about than Obama, as the ultimate HEAD of things like the NSA, himself. What could Snowden have that people like these Senators take SO personally or fear so much themselves, they'd make a BIG stand here when almost NO other issue gets them to do more than take a hedged bet?

Something is starting to stink in this by sheer measure of who is REAL loud and who isn't. What does Snowden have? Hmmmmmm....

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No they aren't. They are sheep fed Obama lovers. Take it for what it is.

Snowden can request asylum anywhere... The fact they will throw sanctions at them is, obviously crazy, this isn't political... or is it?

-SAP-

It could be political posturing but the fact it was a unanimous vote in favor of sanctioning countries that aid snowden both scares me and annoys me at the same time. Its not like snowden gave away something russia did not already have or really needs. Both countries have nukes, chemical and biological weapons, etc. The only thing snowden did was expose illegal spying on americans.

I think the american government simply wants to take the heat off itself and will play any card to do so.

edit on 26/7/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Cool! I found this thread! My opinion is that if the U.S. keeps on putting trade sanctions on everybody, we won't have anyone to trade with! And all the other countries will build trade networks with each other, leaving us out of it. It is a terrible policy brought forth by idiots!

What are we going to do, put trade sanctions on China, most of South America, the E.U., Russia, Iran, etc. etc.?

Is this some kind of shielded attempt at returning to isolationism and self-sufficiency through aggressive diplomatic tactics?
edit on 26-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Thanks for the post, a star for you.

Well in this particular case I’d rather suggesting that Mr Snowden head for Iran and the Iranian authorities, they are already under total sanctions in 33 years by these loudmouth bullies of the world anyway.

Like hell they gives a damn for what these idiot says, from there you can smuggle yourself to wherever you wish to reside with new identities if you wish so.

Good luck and God speed.

edit on 26-7-2013 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by InfaRedMan

They can sanction countries like Iran (for different reasons). Do you think this or will be any different?

At best this is just a threat.

-SAP-

No different and I think the world sees it for what it is..

IRM

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join