It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Holt Introduces ‘Surveillance State Repeal Act’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Time to try out the new forum, and it is feeling quite cozy in here.
Here we go folks, another chance to take a good jab at the NSA. Perhaps now that things aren't so rushed we may actually realize a win with this one. We will have plenty of time to contact our representatives in support of this. And perhaps we can think of other ways us Americans can organize to get the point across that we have a constitution and intend to live by it!

Holt's legislation aims to remove all American's from the clutches of government surveillance, and to also repeal the Patriot Act and also the FISA Amendments Act, amongst other things. And actually it seems pretty specific in wording so there is no confusion in interpretation, like with our lovely Patriot Act. Cheer up folks, we have not lost this battle yet!

Summary of the Surveillance State Repeal Act The Surveillance State Repeal Act would:

-Repeal the PATRIOT Act (which contains the telephone metadata harvesting provision).

-Repeal the FISA Amendments Act (which contains the email harvesting provision).

-Ensure that any FISA collection against a US Person takes place only pursuant to a valid warrant based on probable cause (which was the original FISA standard from 1978 to 2001).

-Retain the ability for government surveillance capabilities to be targeted against a specific natural person, regardless of the type of communications method(s) or device(s) being used by the subject of the surveillance.

-Retains provisions in current law dealing with the acquisition of intelligence information involving weapons of mass destruction from entities not composed primarily of U.S. Persons.

-Prohibit the government from mandating that electronic device or software manufacturers build in so-called "back doors" to allow the government to bypass encryption or other privacy technology built into said hardware and/or software.

-Increase the terms of judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) from seven to ten years and allow their reappointment.

-Mandate that the FISC utilize technologically competent Special Masters (technical and legal experts) to help determine the veracity of government claims about privacy, minimization and collection capabilities employed by the US government in FISA applications.

-Mandate that the Government Accountability Office (GAO) regularly monitor such domestic surveillance programs for compliance with the law, including responding to Member requests for investigations and whistleblower complaints of wrongdoing.

Surveillance State Appeal Act - PDF of the bill

Rep. Holt Introduces ‘Surveillance State Repeal Act’

edit on 26-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
no way in hell this goes through. Try to repeal the patriot act is an automatic throw in the trash bill. The powers that b have the patriot act intact which over rides the constitution itself. You will have to pull that from there dead hands in order for that to be repealed.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
In a day so full of bad news, this post really gives me new hope

I have a feeling there are going to an awful lot of unemployed congress people and senate people come next elections.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
In a day so full of bad news, this post really gives me new hope

I have a feeling there are going to an awful lot of unemployed congress people and senate people come next elections.

Yeah and when we contact our reps, we can tell those that didn't support the recent NSA amendment, or were too lazy to show up, that they have one last chance to get it right. Or else we will spread it all across town that they are for destroying our constitution. Go right ahead Mr Congressman, make my day!

edit on 25-7-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Excellent thread and information. I have said before and I will say again, I am NOT an anarchist. I recognize the need for national security and for secrecy on many levels.

I draw the line at the infringement of rights of American citizens. If we have to sacrifice our God given inalienable rights and those granted by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights then I will take my chances with what lies beyond.

I was born an American and have lived, breathed and bleed the Constitution. More than that, the Declaration of Independence which is just as if not more important. Terrorism doesn't win by claiming a few lives here and there. Terrorism wins if we as a society compromise our fundamental ideals as a nation and give in to fear.

The federal government would love nothing more than for every American to be afraid, to quiver in fear at the mere mention of the word terrorist. Is that what we have become? A society that is terrified of 5 deaths in the last 10 years from terrorism? Are we so afraid because we watch too much TV that we will give up our freedom and liberty for something that is less dangerous than bee stings?

The manipulation that is being deployed against the people is B rated and obvious, the major problem is, society has been downgraded to that level through economical robbery, government dishonesty and corporate lobbyists firm grip on the governance of practical law.

This is a dangerous and wildly out of control country at present. We are in danger of invading and killing more civilians across the globe than many people history describes as tyrants, dictators and we are approaching the standard of only one other rogue out of control political party, one that shook the whole world with it's "justice".

Do you wan't to be a part of that?
edit on 26-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Wow, you expressed my identical sentiments so eloquently! Well done!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
If we keep working at it, maybe more people will wake up. How do you educate people - with statistics like this. Keep telling people the reality - the spying is NOT justified and cannot be justified.

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
– You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
— You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane — You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack
–You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack
— You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack
– You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack
–You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack –You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

www.washingtonsblog.com...

So they must question, WHY it is being done!?!? If US surveillance is any good at what it does (and they should be because they've been in the spy game for a long time) , why do they need to collect All of OUR information? Quite simply, they don't, but for more nefarious reasons.

edit on 26-7-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but I agree with Thegoods on this one. This will never be taken apart in some sexy omnibus hack and slash bill. The odds are .. well, it's just not politically possible. Perhaps that's his point. He gets to claim to be better than everyone else ..while knowing even the NSA can see this is a ploy and not something to hold against him and ...any hope for a career he has going forward.

I think undoing what has been done will come in parts and handled carefully. Rash, knee jerk stuff like this is too mickey mouse to be effective with the enormous establishment we're all talking about here.

I LOVE the sentiment, don't get me wrong ..but in a topic that needs taken a bite at a time? This is trying to deep throat a 12 inch sub sandwich, IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I like it except for this bit

-Increase the terms of judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) from seven to ten years and allow their reappointment.

I don't understand this at all - whats the reason behind it?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this to go through. Sounds like a real step in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I hate to say it, but I agree with Thegoods on this one. This will never be taken apart in some sexy omnibus hack and slash bill. The odds are .. well, it's just not politically possible. Perhaps that's his point. He gets to claim to be better than everyone else ..while knowing even the NSA can see this is a ploy and not something to hold against him and ...any hope for a career he has going forward.

I think undoing what has been done will come in parts and handled carefully. Rash, knee jerk stuff like this is too mickey mouse to be effective with the enormous establishment we're all talking about here.

I LOVE the sentiment, don't get me wrong ..but in a topic that needs taken a bite at a time? This is trying to deep throat a 12 inch sub sandwich, IMO.

I hear what your saying and I think we as a nation may be at a "tipping point". The pinnacle being what exactly the American public is willing to sacrifice and endure for the sake of an ever failing perception of manufactured threat portrayed by a disillusioned and ever increasing laughing stock of a federal government.

The federal government is losing the war of propaganda because the abuse of power is far too blatant. The sacrifices we make in the name of national security behind the closed doors of secret courts and federal judges don't quite fit into the true American form of law as governed by our founding documents.

More than that and most importantly, those that recognize that the rule of law, true law......... Isn't being followed are backing others and standing up in spite of threats, in spite of intimidation and in the face of tyranny.

I love my job, I love my children, I love to play video games! I could think of about a thousand things I would rather do then post on ATS on political subjects. I joined this website to talk about Mars and the Moon and I find myself doing what I can to combat open and blatant tyranny and believe me........ Nothing comes without cost.
edit on 26-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I like it except for this bit

I don't understand this at all - whats the reason behind it?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this to go through. Sounds like a real step in the right direction.

Yes that sort of bugged me also. But considering this is a positive bill, there must have been a reason for this. I do intend to investigate this part further.

link   
Sorry, dup post.

This space is for rent to the highest bidder, unless you are an employee of the NSA. I refuse to sell out my constitutional rights.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Yeah and when we contact our reps, we can tell those that didn't support the recent NSA amendment, or were too lazy to show up, that they have one last chance to get it right. Or else we will spread it all across town that they are for destroying our constitution. Go right ahead Mr Congressman, make my day!

I bet they're sweat'n bullets already. Bite'n their nails, lose'n sleep.

So many people just don't get what the hell their doing. Tell me OP,
is it fear ?

I mean hello ! Their ships are still sailing in the same direction.
They haven't turned around, so their not going to go back where
they came from. I don't care how many signs or indicators you
see that they might. They aren't going to go backwards. They're
moving forward to a place where you and I and the constitution
do not exist. No one is allowed to not see this anymore.
edit on 26-7-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by elouina

I bet their sweat'n bullets already. Bite'n their nails, lose'n sleep.

So many people just don't get what the hell their doing. Tell me OP,
is it fear ?

You know I laughed the other day when a conspiracist posted on another site that smoking makes you immune to the gov messing with your mind. Tongue in cheek here... So, are you a smoker like myself?

Ok now back to earth. There is definitely something wrong with with the mindset of youngsters today. Back when I was young, I was proud to be an American and what it stood for. And I would have defended the constitution tooth and nail. But the youngsters of today say, "do you really think I care"? Then they say, "Obama is the greatest". When I ask why, it is because he is GIVING them free health insurance.

You know it and I know it, but why on earth would someone vote for a president for just a freebie? (Although it really isn't free.) And even if it was, nothing in life is truly ever free. You have to be giving up something. Someday soon, those stupid youngsters will realize that they gave up their liberties for a lie! But perhaps they realize it already and just don't want to admit their stupidity.

Many seemed to have forgotten this famous phrase, "give me liberty or give me death". Do they realize how many have fought and died to protect these very freedoms that they are so freely giving up?

And one other thing our government has failed to realize... My constitutional rights are guaranteed to me. No one can give them away! No one... Not Obama, not some congressman, or any other government official. There is no, "majority rules", when it comes to our constitution.

The fact that this was done behind the backs of American citizens is proof enough to me that this was dark and sinister. It looks like they were caught in what I would call a police state takeover of sorts. So why on earth would anyone support this? Or even reward them by allowing this to continue for even one minute longer? This needs to end immediately!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

The fact that this was done behind the backs of American citizens is proof enough to me that this was dark and sinister. It looks like they were caught in what I would call a police state takeover of sorts. So why on earth would anyone support this? Or even reward them by allowing this to continue for even one minute longer? This needs to end immediately!

Well now you're talk'in to me. But there's an element at
work here, that is definitely moving toward their own
aganda. And up until recently they had to pacify us.
The tech has enabled them and they don't have to
pacify us anymore.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Lets all do something about this if we feel so strongly! I have a shock value phrase I would like to incorporate into my campaign, YOU ARE FIRED! No one likes to hear those 3 words and every representative that voted no to the NSA amendment deserves to hear this. Perhaps hearing those 3 words will make them stop and think about just how this may affect them. So how about it? Will you all help me fire the bunch?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So, is everyone here writing their representatives in support of this? Come on folks, we can do it!
Inaction just gives them permission to continue!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Read this from Feb 2011 so you know where I'm at in all of this. I prescribe to a much more radical solution.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Looks like people just might be banging on the door here.

It'll break down eventually. Just cant stop banging.

Just wrote my Rep. Shes a proud neo-Dem though all up on the police state's jock.
edit on 26-7-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You give them and inch, they take a mile. Once they have taken their mile, there is no way they will give it back. It is Power with a capital P. I don't see the Patriot Act or any related Act actually getting full repeal.

That is why we have to be careful when it comes to allowing any intrusion of our constitutional rights by gov't. We usually allow that intrusion right after a major emotional-wrenching event such as 9/11. So nudge by nudge, event by event, we wake up one day and realize we have given away our true freedoms.....never to get them back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join