It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage! Delta made this man crawl on and off the plane!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Not to justify what happened, but with regard to the aisle chair and lift "a couple gates away" the question is, who did that gate belong to? Airlines are generally assigned blocks of Hayes. At Honolulu, you could give me an airline name, and I could get you to their gate area without even thinking about it. So even though it may have only been a gate or two away, it may not have belonged to Delta. If it was another airlines, and no one was there, it may have been locked up, to keep it from walking away.

Damn Swype. That was supposed to say "blocks of gates", not "blocks of Hayes".

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Welcome to the wonderful world of "you can sue someone for spilling a hot coffee on yourself and winning." No one wants the risk of litigation. Such a sad state of affairs.

To the person who commented that someone has to realize they are "not fit for commercial travel," that's utterly ludicrous. There has been a great increase in recognizing and being able to work around disabilities in the last 20 years. This man should have been able to fly. To suggest he isn't fit to fly is ridiculous and disgusting imo.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I hope he OWNS Delta before this is over.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
That's atrocious, and surely it must break the law about providing accessibility?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
sorry..

just not buying this ..

and I smell a rat in the pack .. and someone, quite possibly another airline, if not all is going to gain ALOT of shares.. and Delta's will TANK .. if not already ..

corporate espinoge and take down is in full swing .. !! yay !

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Disgraceful. Disgusting. Abhorrent. Many other words come to mind. In the absence of anything else that should have been present to accommodate him, could no one be bothered to even physically aid him? I will never fly Delta again.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I agree this is outragious , we should not treat humans like this just for fear of a getting multi billion lawsuit , but with that said , we shouldnt sue any person who makes a mistake and end their financial life right there on the spot.

and with that i mean persons , not company's who have a fund for this kind of stuff , there is no cool factor in getting triljon dollars from your chipped off nail lawsuit.

Boxed in for life , like some crazy hyena , dogding law suits from the people, the governments, soon even breathing in the air from the person next to you will make you get a lawsuit.

OT : in my country they gave a guy 240 hours community service for Vehiculair manslaughter , he had 15 other vehicle misconduct counts in one month. he hit a kid and fled the scene.

so im a bit done with anything that saiz lawsuit or courts.

But thanks for sharing this , it is indeed outragious.

TheGreazel

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If the place i work at can afford a disabled lift and full
disabled access then this company sure as heck can,
i can tell you this, we do not net 1billion in profit that's
for sure, yet we have the equipment we need.

I think every member of the company should be felt up
by the TSA as they enter and exit their homes until
this issues is fixed.

edit on 27-7-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What would the reason be for the passengers who watched this humiliation without helping?

Fear of hurting a frail person.

I know the Americans with disabilities act requires companies to make reasonable accomodations but does that mean employees must physically carry someone onto a plane?

Tell me who's job it is to carry a passenger?
The pilot?
Flight attendant?
Bag handler?
Who?

when you see a handicap man crawling like that, and your first instinct isn't to help.. story of America

i swear..inside

No the story of America is "I'll Sue Your Arse"
its so noble to say what you Would have done
had you been there.

1st off most disabled I have come across
Don't wanna be manhandled by strangers.
"even when asked"

who ever suggested the fireman's carry...
good 1

the complaint about his spine shifting while crawling
well it also shifted when you hoisted him like a sack of potatoes.
Guess who is also now getting sued along with the Airline

They'll recover from the suit, if even gets that far.
you won't

What people need to understand
is the Airlines have consolidated
into 3 major carriers.
They do Not Care about their Passengers, Nor their Employee's.
They only care about the BottomLine

read the fine print
I've been in the Airline industry for close 20 years
what started as a way to see the world on the cheap
has become a nightmare ...

what this man went threw is inexcusable

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
OK many on here have taken issue with my opinion on this issue.

But no one has told me WHO is responsible to CARRY a passenger onto or off of a plane.
WHO?
What person has the added to their job description?
Do you think it's added to these flight attendants job description? Can you see a couple of 120lb women carrying a 200 lb man up a flight of steps?

Even baggage handlers are only required to be able to lift 60 lbs.

You can bitch about the humanity of it all you want but when it comes down to brass tacks there are limits to what you should expect from companies.

Ever sit next to a fat person for 6 hours in those tiny seats? I'll bet you were wishing the airlines were more strict about it at the time.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
We're discussing this thread on ATS Live tonight! - click the link for more details
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened with Delta airlines.

Back in 2008....

www.gadling.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder how some people can get hired for any job, because they are that ignorant. I mean the equipment that he needed was nearby, and it could easily have been brought over. I can completely understand the outrage you expressed. The lack of decency toward another human is astounding. It seems that things are getting worse and worse as the years go by. I HATE reading about frivolous lawsuits, and it seems everybody is willing to sue somebody nowadays. But this guy actually gave them multiple attempts to apologize and correct the situation in some manner.

And yet he is still treated like crap. I mean he was hung up on by the HQ? Wow. How is THAT person actually working there? Half of the people who are unemployed could do a better job than many of the people in these types of positions, the people that cause all the problems to begin with. The world is going to you know what, mainly because of dumb people. There are too many of them, plain and simple. All of this man's problems were caused by, you guessed it, dumb people. Everyone knows these type of people. I just don't understand how so many people can develop into such horrible human beings.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am going to post an alternate viewpoint, not because I have anything against disabled people and not because I am for big business which at this point I pretty much detest. I am however, going to stay out of emotional response. At first read of this story which I found on Infowars and Drudge I was equally aghast that this would happen to a person. Then I started digging into this man, Kanaan, on youtube. I don't care about his views or politics. What I do care about is another emotional story that has people making judgments about a case with only the facts shared by the media.

Within five minutes I found several youtube videos from 2008 to 2010 that show Mr. Dreamingbear Baraka Kanaan as very able bodied. He claims that he has not been able to walk in over five years. Well, not according to his 2010 videos.

Go to the 30 second mark and watch him get up quite easily.

Go to the 34 minute mark and watch him walking around. It's a shame he did not take his own advice which he gives in this video about not taking and eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth for as Ghandi said, "we will all be blind and toothless". It seems maybe he needs money and that this airline issue is not all that it seems.

I saved one of the best for last. Tell me that he looks disabled here? Was he having a bad day when he traveled on Delta? I nearly lost my leg in 2000 and there are some days that I have a very hard time walking. Once you get a "disabled" rating you can play a lot of ADA games. You were not there and neither was I. We only know the information that has been brought out by the media, just like the Zimmerman case. The people found Zimmerman guilty well before the trial and then some facts came out! Some still think he is guilty, but a lot more now think he was not! Delta deserves the same innocent until PROVEN guilty! Watch Mr. Kanaan moving around with amazing ease as he kneels, rises, walks around with NO problems.

As for his comments about his videos online showing him moving well and he was not going to remove them because he wants the truth to come out and has nothing to hide, well he has made his own videos private now!

www.youtube.com...

He has left the ones on that he is sitting, but the ones where he was moving about... nope they are now private!

Here is one more....

Some have made comments on sites about this case of "Why didn't any of the passengers help him?"

How do you know they did not offer to and he declined their help? How do you know if you carried him and he fell that he would not sue you for hurting him? This is what has happened to us folks. We make snap judgements based on a story. We have no video of that day. We don't know if he is really disabled anymore. We don't know if he needs money for his lovealution program and knows that these small planes don't have a lot of assistance. I have not had to take stairs onto a plane in years as most use the gates, and only those with less than 31 passengers require one to walk to the gate across the tarmac.

What you have experienced at an airport or what a disabled friend has experienced does not matter in this case.

Now from a simple marketing point of view, Delta is stupid! This has already harmed them well more than the cost of helping ANY passenger who makes a request of them. For that I say they have dug their own hole here.
edit on 29-7-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

Edit: Now I am thinking even more and let me ask you:

"HOW DID HE GET INTO THE AIRPORT?"

Did he crawl into the airport on his hands and knees? Did he crawl out of the airport on his hands and knees? He claims to use an electric wheelchair at home. Maybe he used that to get there, but what about leaving once he got to his destination? This story is beginning to smell very badly.
edit on 29-7-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

D. Baraka Kanaan, 40, of Haiku, Hawaii, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Hawaii against Delta Airlines and 20 of the carrier's employees and agents. The suit, filed on July 23, seeks damages after he endured "intense physical and extreme emotional suffering" from the ordeal.

This is why you don't step up to help
said asshat....
Turns out he is not disabled
and just out for a payday @ Any1's
Expense...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
What are the bounds of reasonable accomodations?

At some point we have to admit to ourselves that some people are not fit to fly on commercial aircraft.

But it's not PC to tell someone your are not a 'normal' person.

You're absolutely right. All handicapped people should stay at home and rot, and certainly shouldn't be able to take a plane to see family or get better medical care or see the world. What's with all this gimp entitlement these days anyway? [Sarcasm alert]

Seriously, if businesses have to make themselves handicapped-accessible, then so should airlines. Buses are equipped to handle the handicapped; there is no reason airplanes and airports shouldn't be held to the same standard.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join