It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage! Delta made this man crawl on and off the plane!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Right on all counts, where have all the men gone! God if I had only been there. Where is the shame, the humanity, the impulse to help your fellow man? God help us.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So a couple of airport employees couldn't be called to pick him up and get him in and out of his chair because of liability?

No other travelers offered to do the same once the airport refused to help him? Thankfully most people I know, including myself would have helped him. Heck one of my best friends in the world who is in a wheelchair after a car accident would have put the guy on her lap had she seen this, she's strong from all that wheeling around....very, very sad.....

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I want to thank everyone who has brought up the issue of the other passengers. To be honest, I hadn't thought much about that aspect but for the fact there were some and were witnessing this in terms of knowing it really happened and wasn't his word vs. an airline employee.

After thinking more on this aspect and putting myself in the position of a passenger watching it though? Folks are absolutely right. This was unthinkable. The airline and airport employees are bad enough, but one could say they have a family to feed and feared being fired or sued. It's weak and pathetic, but still, at least SOME reason exists.

What would the reason be for the passengers who watched this humiliation without helping? As I came to think more, I don't believe I could ever have watched this. If he was last off the first time and passengers couldn't get out the fence (usually in this types of airports that I've seen) to get back out onto the tarmac, then by goodness, there would have been a commotion in verbal protest the whole airport would have heard.

I feel a little bad I hadn't thought about this aspect before the official responses and liability, but this is just wrong on so MANY levels....that certainly being an important one.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What would the reason be for the passengers who watched this humiliation without helping?

Fear of hurting a frail person.

I know the Americans with disabilities act requires companies to make reasonable accomodations but does that mean employees must physically carry someone onto a plane?

Tell me who's job it is to carry a passenger?
The pilot?
Flight attendant?
Bag handler?
Who?

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

What would the reason be for the passengers who watched this humiliation without helping?

I know the Americans with disabilities act requires companies to make reasonable accomodations but does that mean employees must physically carry someone onto a plane?

The pilot?
Flight attendant?
Bag handler?
Who?

when you see a handicap man crawling like that, and your first instinct isn't to help.. story of America

i swear..inside

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

If the guy is able to drag himself across the floor, how frail could he have been? Depending on the type of injuries some people with upper body movement are very strong, even if their lower body is paralyzed. One thing I did learn through my friends experiences is that it is really hard on a Man's ego to be paralyzed, and perhaps other Men there didn't want to insult him? IDK....I think had it been a Woman the Men would have possibly been more likely to offer help?

As to your question as to who should help, the airport staff should have helped, who ever was there and available, the "Hey, that's not my job" argument lacks common sense and human decency......

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by samkent

If the guy is able to drag himself across the floor, how frail could he have been? Depending on the type of injuries some people with upper body movement are very strong, even if their lower body is paralyzed. One thing I did learn through my friends experiences is that it is really hard on a Man's ego to be paralyzed, and perhaps other Men there didn't want to insult him? IDK....I think had it been a Woman the Men would have possibly been more likely to offer help?

As to your question as to who should help, the airport staff should have helped, who ever was there and available, the "Hey, that's not my job" argument lacks common sense and human decency......

the "hey thats not my job" people

are usually the "just following orders" people

I hate both and view as one

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The pilot?
Flight attendant?
Bag handler?
Who?

Well, technically and according to his lawsuit, federal law states the airlines must have the equipment available and accessible to use in assisting people like him. That's what he cites Delta has been fined millions for in the past for failing to do and while we can't know the nature of all the complaints? 2,300+ in 2009 on Disabled customer treatment and service speaks volumes to me if, according to the story, it's accurate to state they lead the industry in this class of problem.

It's fair to point out that once the airline failed, other passengers could and probably should have offered aid in some way. He could have refused but the offer would have shown decency. It wasn't their job though, hence the pending lawsuit I think he'll really clean up on, under these circumstances.

*I want to add here.... Saying it's not their job is no exit to showing some basic human decency. In how I'm saying it? It's simply the legal statement of liability to do this for him, not what SHOULD have happened.

edit on 26-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I'm also disgusted that a fellow passenger would not help this man! WTF!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Talk about losing your dignity! I would have been p!$$ed off beyond recognition! Why couldn’t a couple of the employees help him to his wheelchair by doing this…

If I were a passenger, I would have asked another passenger help me out.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman

"Delta Air Lines forced a wheelchair-bound passenger to crawl onto and off its planes and across tarmacs, while Delta employees, "fearful of liability," "

So they did not help him because they feared a lawsuit? The inaction led to a lawsuit? What kind of logic is this? Way back in the 80's, if a man needed help, a couple of dudes would come over and help, now, folks stand around and asses legal liability, talk, talk, talk and and do nothing, then take the problem to court. We are in a pit of despair.

unbelievable isn't it, they won't "touch him" in case of liability but now Fingering him aka TSA grope style, well now then,

THAT'S just fine and dandy.

Thus sh** won't stop until Americans start

KICKING SOME ASS.

edit on 26-7-2013 by ThreeBears because: Correct for Emphasis

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The pilot?
Flight attendant?
Bag handler?
Who?

YET THEY HAVE NO ISSUE

STRIPPING DISABLED! SEXUALLY ASSAULTING THE DISABLED! CAVITY SEARCHING THE DISABLED!

THEY GOT NO PROBLEM WITH FEAR OF FRAILTY THERE NOW DO THEY?????

TIME FOR THE BASEBALL BATS, IM SICK OF THIS GARBAGE.

I've heard some BULLKAKI in my life but This, THIS, tops them all.

This was more of their NAZI REICH FILTH GARBAGE at DELIBERATELY HUMILIATING THIS MAN,

THIS BROTHER, HE AIN'T HEAVY HE'S MY BROTHER.

Those who stood arround, should have their ASSES STOMPED.

What WE need in this country is some return to GOOD OLE FASHIONED ASS WHOOPINS.

AND RUN THIS CRIMINAL THUGGERY BS GOVERNMENT BACK TO HELL WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!

WE OWE it to our ANCESTORS...who Fought these ASSWIPES, NOW they are running this nation. They need to a GO!

edit on 26-7-2013 by ThreeBears because: Addition cuzz I am pissed

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepVisions
Wow, that is absolutely pathetic. How someone can stand by and watch a disabled man crawl onto a plane is beyond me. It sounds like the employees didn't even try to help and they just stood there!!

He better be getting a fat sum of cash from this incident and IMO all the employees that stood there should be fired.
edit on 25-7-2013 by DeepVisions because: (no reason given)

I couldn't I would have been the first one kicked off my flight for stating the obvious.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I hope he sues Delta into bankruptcy, they are the worst airline ever. If you want to arrive on time, don't fly Delta. Was just working on a show, contestants were flown in from all over the country and seriously everyone who flew in on Delta had problems, delayed flights, missing connections, and ruined luggage. And their online flight tracking is completely wrong, it would tell you flights had landed 10 mins early when the friggin thing was still in the air an hour away.

The last Delta flight I was on out of Atlanta was delayed more than six hours. I will never give my own money to that wretched company again, they are, without a doubt, the worst.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

So the government should tell a businesses they need to accomadate everyone O_o

How about the customers tell the business what they want with their money.

I think that was some pretty bad customer service on delta's part.. I am really not sure why the man complied with any of this... i don't think he was forced on the plane... he made the decision too board under those terms.. If getting on the plane was more important than dragging himself around then i am unclear why he whines....

If he is going to bring a lawsuit against them because of the decision he made to drag himself and the customer service.. then it is not far fetched if he would bring a law suit had employees carried him... what if he claimed they carried him wrong and it irritated or made his injury worse.... and they had a surly attitude about it.

Last time I had an issue with delta it had to do with seating.. I just cancelled the flight argued my money back and hopped on another plane.

He could have done the same thing but didn't .

I think what he had to do to get on the plane was bad but seriously.. it comes back to him making the decision to drag himself .. i would have just said that was unacceptable based on what he as assured was to take place.

I get your emotional reaction to this but the solution to everything is SUE SUE SUE in this country.

Not sure why other passengers didn't help. On my flight back from florida this year had a disabled kid on it... he had to go to the restroom and his mother was struggling with him... the staff wouldn't help so i carried him for her.

there were solutions in this other than him dragging himself.. he made that decision. I dont' get this

edit on 26-7-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

I think that was some pretty bad customer service on Delta's part.. I am really not sure why the man complied with any of this... i don't think he was forced on the plane... He made the decision too board under those terms.. If getting on the plane was more important than dragging himself around then i am unclear why he whines....

Well, in all fairness here, I don't think you're being entirely fair to this man on what happened.

First is the most important point. He flew from Maui, Hawaii to Nantucket, Mass. It was a series of flights as the airport in Nantucket is small and almost municipal in nature. He was assured from weeks in advance that all was good to go and the equipment the Air Carrier Access Act mandates be available was there and would be available for him when he arrived.

So, I'm not sure what he was supposed to do when this occurred at the end of his trip? He was quite literally trapped in every sense and with the mother of all surprises he was specifically assured would never happen here. Assured by Delta.

On his return flight, he was assured, again by Delta and before reaching the airport (2 days in advance) that the equipment he'd seen at the airport by another gate would, in fact, be available and used for his benefit that time. Again, Delta promised. Delta failed to meet legal requirements to assist a disabled passenger.

Had this happened or he'd had ANY idea of the problem before leaving Hawaii? I'd tend to see your point ..but as a captive audience, thousands of miles from home when FIRST indication of a problem came from being told ...while on the plane...getting off was his problem? Well.. What could he do?

In terms of suing, the story clearly states he tried working with Delta and then tried going through the Government supplied process for filing a formal complaint and getting action that way. All failed. The lawsuit was the result of a longer process and his last option by all indications.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

They could ad least have picked the man up and carried him if they where lacking the needed equipment.. The attitude seems to make no sense..

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Its because they are Satanists and under the shadow government headed by the likes of David Rockefeller. Their demon wings are spouting.

And its up to people to get really mad and get on the phone and make some changes in masses, that means you don't go to work but go to your representative and don't leave until all the bad guys go by by and your country is sane again.

That is the job. And 1 person would get targetted , so this is what a majority, millions has to do together.
edit on 26-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Not to justify what happened, but with regard to the aisle chair and lift "a couple gates away" the question is, who did that gate belong to? Airlines are generally assigned blocks of Hayes. At Honolulu, you could give me an airline name, and I could get you to their gate area without even thinking about it. So even though it may have only been a gate or two away, it may not have belonged to Delta. If it was another airlines, and no one was there, it may have been locked up, to keep it from walking away.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

What are the bounds of reasonable accomodations?

At some point we have to admit to ourselves that some people are not fit to fly on commercial aircraft.

But it's not PC to tell someone your are not a 'normal' person.

That's just brilliant. Wheelchair bound (approx. 1.6 million in the US alone) probably shouldn't also go to restaurants, use public restrooms, go to sports arenas, become president of the USA or pretty much go outside their own living quarters. Obviously, you know no one who is wheelchair bound.

Also, something to think about is, usually wheelchair bound people disembark first. Because the employees knew there would be issues, they most likely let all the other passengers disembark first prior to his departure so there were none (capable?) left to help. The employees are pathetic. What if he had a heart attack and was unconscious before disembarking. They could have at least called emergency services to assist. Would they have left him on the plane to die?

He did everything he possibly could to ensure he had the functions needed. There isn’t a reason in the world he was denied proper access to those items. Delta had the responsibility to inform him there would NOT be adequate access to the items he needed and he could have chosen another airline. So yes, it's Delta's fault. A simple "we can't assist you" would have sufficed and prompted this passenger to seek other options.

edit on 26-7-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join