It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Most people use the same password for multiple sites, and use actual answers for security questions. For example, if it ask for my moms maiden name as a security question, I will put like a car or something. Its a pain remembering all the different passwords, but well worth it in the end.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

If it's a weak hash algorithm. The better the hashing algorithm the slower it goes. As low as 70,000 per sec. And some sites use a unique salt per user which makes brute forcing a nightmare. But it depends on the site how secure they make their hashes.

But you're missing my point. What's important is are they asking for the hashes to brute force, or are they actually asking for the passwords themselves? Because if they're asking for the passwords themselves that means the website has to store THE PASSWORD itself which is a big no no.

Because while the gov may be able to brute force some hashes, many hackers don't have a stack of 50 GPUs to brute force anything. If they steal the DB and it's hashed many hackers won't be able to do anything with it.

However, if the gov is asking the website to store the passwords, and not the hash, then it's a huge story because now any hacker that steals the DB will have the passwords without having to crack any hashes.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

According to members I won't name just yet.
I thought that people ( like me ) who believed our government would violate our rights
and establish an even more brutal police state. Were supposed to be the ones who
were paranoid and crazy. Looks to me like Uncle Sam is paranoid. While more and
more the unmentioned are look'in really crazy to me.

Actors were used in Boston !

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This is the kind of thing that really comes as no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention but I still have to keep pinching myself to make sure I'm awake these days.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Those calling for further and more advanced encryption from the end user are missing the point. The point is that the Federal government has no Constitutional authority to do these things and in point of disgusting fact are doing so in complete violation of the bill of rights.

The solution is not to better encrypt passwords, IP addresses and emails, it is, to demand the immediate dismantling of agencies who are operating unlawfully and illegally.

Sounds daunting? It's not. If only 10 million Americans bombarded their reps, county sheriff's office and senators about this issue and fully followed through, we could stop this insanity. Public outcry, outrage and threat of action goes along way but there is a big difference between thousands and millions of people.

This sort of behavior is increasing at such an alarming rate, is there anyone left that would dare say we can not compare our current level of government and laws to those of Nazi Germany during the transitional takeover of the country?

I would love to debate the merits of oh, so many ways it is a mirror image, almost exactly following in the totalitarian footprints of the worst travesty of a political party to ever walk the Earth.

Wont happen..
To lazy, to fat, to ignorant so on so on so on.....

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
lots of nasty things they can do with passwords, like make phoney posts or create phoney activity for, if not anything else, incriminating evidence against you

See I'm just not devious enough to think of that.

BUT other people are. Thats the problem. abuse. evil is a real thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Were supposed to be the ones who were paranoid and crazy. Looks to me like Uncle Sam is paranoid.

This happens to all tyrants eventually.

We need to keep you all safe from each other so we collect information and violate your rights.

Since collecting all this information we have learned you dont care for us very much. We must now collect even more information and violate your rights further to keep you and us safe.

You dont appear to be enjoying your new safety. In fact the information we have collected tells us you're madder than before. We must now collect even more and further violate your rights.

Okay, this really isnt working. Why dont you like us? We're only trying to keep you safe. That's it. All rights have been reduced to privileges. Now on top of collecting the information we're going to pre-screen and filter it via licenses, permits, and regulatory boards. If you have something to say head on down to your local DHS center and file for a permit to post, a license to make a call, and you can forget about broadcasting or publishing unless you graduate from DHS journalism academy.

That's how it goes for a generation or two until it gets really crazy and the camps begin to fill.

Snoops always get more paranoid. It's the nature of snooping.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

FYI.

No website worth their salt ever stores password in the clear.

Even Microsofts ASP.Net login system hashes and salts the password.

Now they could certainly ask for the hashes and salts and guess the hash of the password using rainbow tables and multi gpu servers.
This is why it's a good idea to have different passwords for different websites.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
gee - I should call my "representative" in CONgress and tell them I want all of their emails and phone calls since taking the schill seat in d.c. - home of the baloneycRAT.
this is why term limits would be a good thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I know it's a bit off topic, but if everyone will forgive me for a sec. I don't understand the idea that actors were used in Boston.

Now I've been sick since before the bombing and haven't really been online and haven't read one iota of evidence for or against the theory. So, I'm definitely not in a place to say if actors were used or not. So, I'm not arguing that. But what I don't get is why would they bother?

Does the gov really care if anyone gets hurt? Why not just set off a bomb and whatever innocent people get hurt, get hurt. What's the need for actors? Why super complicate it?

I personally honestly believe there's a conspiracy to make conspiracy theorists look crazy, that way nobody believes anything they say. That's why you have 8 million different 9/11 theories like it was thermite, no it was a strategic nuke that brought the buildings down, no it was bombs in the basement, no there were no planes!, wait, yes there were planes, but they weren't planes, they were missles! Aliens did it! and on and on.

That's what the actors in Boston sounds like to me. Perhaps there was some conspiracy, but to distract everyone's attention they come out with something even more crazy so we all just sound stupid.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibajaba
gee - I should call my "representative" in CONgress and tell them I want all of their emails and phone calls since taking the schill seat in d.c. - home of the baloneycRAT.
this is why term limits would be a good thing.

they already have term limits...it's called "vote them out"...see, you have to actually convince others that voting them out is a good thing, and who you want to replace them with, is in their best interests.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

Been try'in to find a way to say this and remain on topic.
I did only put that at the end of what I said because
as we are talking about here just the same. It's all about
control and there is more than enough going on concerning
Boston as well as older events that for me raise serious questions
that shouldn't even be applicable. And yet they just have to be asked.

What bothers me are people who want to believe our government isn't
even capable of deciet to it's highest extremes. While I believe they're
capable beyond what any normal person can imagine.

edit on 26-7-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

your passwords in this forum could have probably been handed over as well, although just speculation, so tread lightly. getting to the point where i'm close to resigning my internet activity all together, it's just not safe anywhere, including here possibly...

our corrupt government will stop at nothing to destroy everything our forefathers stood for, they want everything now.

What good would them getting our passwords do? They can see our posts without a password. And I'm quite sure they could use a back door anyway.

lots of nasty things they can do with passwords, like make phoney posts or create phoney activity for, if not anything else, incriminating evidence against you.
edit on 25-7-2013 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

Wow, that is a bit scary. If they could sign in and then make posts in a person's name, well it would not take long at all to have that person "posting" sedition and other crimes.

Enemy Of The State was not too far off.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by gladtobehere

FYI.

No website worth their salt ever stores password in the clear.

Even Microsofts ASP.Net login system hashes and salts the password.

Now they could certainly ask for the hashes and salts and guess the hash of the password using rainbow tables and multi gpu servers.
This is why it's a good idea to have different passwords for different websites.

The article makes it sound like that's the goal.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Snoops always get more paranoid. It's the nature of snooping.

The question is - What are they so paranoid about? They must be worried about something huge because I just can't see them making this much of a stink over nothing. I don't believe them about being so terribly worried about terrorism either. I believe they're worried about something else.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Wont happen.. To lazy, to fat, to ignorant so on so on so on.....

Your wrong. I understand the thought behind the post and on the surface it may seem that, that is the case. I am here to tell you that right under that surface is a boiling sore ready to explode. I turned 37 today, I don't consider myself old By any means but todays youth lives their lives online and they expect and largely demand some privacy while doing so.

Don't let the main stream media fool you, Americans, in general are very against this type of unlawful behavior. If you can get pulled over and get a speeding ticket then why can't the American government be held accountable when it commits crimes? There is no question that what is happening is a crime, it violates the Constitution, in every way shape and form, that makes it a crime despite what any of the three branches of government say. The final judge of a law is subjected to 4 BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT, the last and most important being that of the people themselves, and that is the ultimate law when it conforms to our founding documents.

Two things will happen in the near future. Voting will take place and will effect change or it won't. If it does not then there will be insurrection, protests and chaos. It does not matter that the large, fat lazy Americans are willing to sit idle anymore because in a country of 300 million you only need 10% of those to make a difference and I think we are pretty much there.

Things have just gone too far now. Too many innocent people killed in foreign wars when our outline was only to protect our borders. I know we have foreign interests and we must maintain a standard of living and try to keep alive the value of the American dollar but at what cost are we all willing to to go to achieve that? At the cost of innocent women and children? At maiming and killing hundreds of innocent people to perhaps strike one target.... Maybe?

Our foreign policy of false flags, invasion and subsequent occupation is entirely disgraceful and does not in any way embody what this country was founded to be, represent or persist on. We have become an abusive step father to the world, a, do what I say, not as I do country and anyone that would dare stand in the way is racked with political sabotage, the funding of terrorist rebels and ultimately military strikes in the form of "no fly zones" or direct military intervention.

We do not live in American any more, our country is not run by patriots that care about the prosperous growth of the American people. We live in a tightly manipulated facade of what used to be America where the military industrial complex, for profit prisons and lobbyist control the law and the courts and influence our military might.

Your voice is no longer heard because it is not deemed important. The power no longer resides with the people and all you have left is illusion of choice. This country will continue to degrade the Constitution and morals until we are at the point where we have nothing left but begging for mercy from those that bang on your door. It's not a far off prediction, it's already happening across the entire country, you just not paying attention.

It is an imperialistic and authoritarian approach and at this time it does not seem like legislation will work to correct the problems because everyone in power except a choice few are bought off and complicit in the coup.

The NSA program is illegal, it is forbidden explicitly by the fourth amendment yet, congress just voted to continue it. What more proof do you need that our government cares nothing to continue operating by rule of law?
edit on 26-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join