It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers reveal nasty new car attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is a report from Forbes Magazine and a video posted on youtube.

Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek show a Forbes reporter how a vehicle can be "hacked" and just about every single function can be controlled.

The duo plans to release their findings and the attack software they developed at the hacker conference Defcon in Las Vegas next month–the better, they say, to help other researchers find and fix the auto industry’s security problems before malicious hackers get under the hoods of unsuspecting drivers. The need for scrutiny is growing as cars are increasingly automated and connected to the Internet, and the problem goes well beyond Toyota and Ford. Practically every American carmaker now offers a cellular service or Wi-Fi network like General Motors’ OnStar, Toyota’s Safety Connect and Ford’s SYNC. Mobile-industry trade group the GSMA estimates revenue from wireless devices in cars at $2.5 billion today and projects that number will grow tenfold by 2025. Without better security it’s all potentially vulnerable, and automakers are remaining mum or downplaying the issue.

The video shows what a hardline hack can do. What I am interested in is what a wireless hack can do, if it is possible, car makers claim that wireless hack is not possible.

Source
ed it on 25-7-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
1973 Dodge charger, 88 Bronco.

Hackers Do You're worst.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think it must be about a year since I posted about this.
The original research was done by a university (cant remember which one) who found they were able to take control via a USB stick, A mobile phone, wifi, Bluetooth, and even national radio broadcasts. There concern was that a kid sitting on the other side of the world with his mobile phone could take control of a car on the other side of the world.

Old cars will become worth a lot of money soon

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
DP
edit on 25-7-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Are you serious!!! This is insane, the sad part is someone will figure out how to do this by bluetooth or wifi and some unsuspecting driver will react to the readings and if they are lucky:

1. Take it to the garage to try to get it fixed (repeatedly)
2. Swear it is possessed
3. Deem it a lemon

If unlucky:
1. Have a minor accident and walk away
2. Kill themselves and family or some other vehicles occupants

I certainly hope the car companies are right, this has the potential to be very bad, could you imagine the possibilities of the bad things that one could do to another with this technology. Scary.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
And this is exactly what I was trying to relay in my post on this thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, the vid is a bit of a farce in that the dash does not have to be removed in order to gain access. I think this was done to make it seem like you would notice if someone had accessed your car...
Was Hasting murdered??? More than likely yes... IMO
This video just make the scenario more likely...

As VoidHawk said, this is not new....

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Coming soon (apparently) some sort of Apple device that's going to go into your car.

I can't imagine anything worse than potentially giving Apple control over your car with their software.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I think it must be about a year since I posted about this.
The original research was done by a university (cant remember which one) who found they were able to take control via a USB stick, A mobile phone, wifi, Bluetooth, and even national radio broadcasts. There concern was that a kid sitting on the other side of the world with his mobile phone could take control of a car on the other side of the world.

Old cars will become worth a lot of money soon

There were stories reported in the main stream media about a month ago of mysterious hackers using mysterious "black box" devices to start, unlock cars etc. Just like any other wifi enabled device, if your car has wifi or bluetooth it can be hacked remotely.

I suspect that all anyone would need would be a VIN to get access to these systems using this sort of software and the VIN is usually pretty visible to anyone on the outside.

You want the really scary version? AIRPLANES.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is why I will not purchase/own any vehicle built after 1994. Any vehicle with the OBD II diagnostics system has some vulnerabilities. As the cars get newer from there, the vulnerabilities increase exponentially. No thanks. I will keep my 1979 Ford E150 with 300 straight 6 and a C6 tranny. Do your worst hackers, good luck with it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
Are you serious!!! This is insane, the sad part is someone will figure out how to do this by bluetooth or wifi and some unsuspecting driver will react to the readings and if they are lucky:

1. Take it to the garage to try to get it fixed (repeatedly)
2. Swear it is possessed
3. Deem it a lemon

If unlucky:
1. Have a minor accident and walk away
2. Kill themselves and family or some other vehicles occupants

I certainly hope the car companies are right, this has the potential to be very bad, could you imagine the possibilities of the bad things that one could do to another with this technology. Scary.

remember that reporter that crashed his brand new Mercedes... Yeah I think the government has this and all the hackers have done is prove it.

Im not worried about a hacker getting his Jollies, Im afraid of uncle sam with this.

You think the NSA and CIA aren't all over this already.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

There were stories reported in the main stream media about a month ago of mysterious hackers using mysterious "black box" devices to start, unlock cars etc. Just like any other wifi enabled device, if your car has wifi or bluetooth it can be hacked remotely.

I suspect that all anyone would need would be a VIN to get access to these systems using this sort of software and the VIN is usually pretty visible to anyone on the outside.

You mean like this?

remote highjacking planes and crashing them into buildings?

Pre- 911 btw.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

The next thing will be a few cars being hacked and huge crashes will follow, then we'll all have to LogOn with the SYSTEM each time we want to use our cars.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Funkit just strip all that crap out.

edit on 25-7-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
If they were cleared to make a video about this, imagine what they are really capable of that is strictly confidential.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It can be done ...full remote control...by playing a cd rom in the car to root...then with android based phone. Takes a wma file to reset the port in the radio relay.

This was published over 2 years ago.

The article is misleading with taking out the dash.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by whatnext21

remember that reporter that crashed his brand new Mercedes... Yeah I think the government has this and all the hackers have done is prove it.

Im not worried about a hacker getting his Jollies, Im afraid of uncle sam with this.

You think the NSA and CIA aren't all over this already.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Careful....

Originally posted by benrl
1973 Dodge charger, 88 Bronco.

Hackers Do You're worst.

edit on 7-25-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

The article is misleading with taking out the dash.

This was not being misleading, at the beginning of the video the hacker shows the reporter one of the computers and in order to show him he removed the dash board cover.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is seriously old news, heres a post from 3 years ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 26-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

That report from 2010 isn't the same report being released by the two hackers in the video. That thread also didn't have visual proof of the hacks that the two are capable of. That thread only had a 16 page pdf file and no other visual evidence, no mainstream news report. Steering, gauges, seat belt braking, speed manipulation were all covered here.

I think this new information warrants a new thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

This concept could add a whole new level to the 9-11 conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

join