It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curfew for Clinton Louisiana after 11pm, for everyone!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sleepdealer
reply to post by neo96

For a moment I was inclined to say that your posts in this thread are commendable, but in reality they are just laughable.

ERM I HAVE IT!

LIKES the TASTE of boot polish!

its like CRACK !

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
We're discussing this thread on ATS Live tonight! - click the link for more details
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by HauntWok
reply to post by neo96

But it is stupid neo, there are so many legitimate reasons to be out past 11 at night. Not the least of which is "I feel like being out after 11 at night and this is America."

So what do you suggest the guy to do to stop crime?

Buy surveillance cameras?

He is employed to protect the public so how?

Let's hear it.

Curfews are nothing new anyways.

If any police officer believes he can stop all crimes ... he should not be in the job ..... if people like yourself believe that these travel bans are appropriate for the USA ... I am sorry my freedom is mine not yours because a citizen is insecure ...

In this case we have not only "can we see your papers" but no, travel is forbidden ...... trolling a bit Neo...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Spader

this can be handled easily in a legal manner, combining the definition of personal liberty (specifically the right to locomotion) with the 14th amendment (states cannot pass or enforce laws that violate the rights of citizens).

it is a criminal rights violation.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I agree at the endless trolling in this thread first off by those who screaming how 'evil' that cop is..

First off every single person in thread grew up with a curfew, and then when they had kids they imposed curfew's on their kids.

The next biggest troll of them all is all those who are acting like a 1 cop town is a 'police state'.

We done here?
edit on 27-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I agree at the endless trolling in this thread first off by those who screaming how 'evil' that cop is..

First off every single person in thread grew up with a curfew, and then when they had kids they imposed curfew's on their kids.

The next biggest troll of them all is all those who are acting like a 1 cop town is a 'police state'.

We done here?

Yes, my mommy and daddy had a curfew for me ... so when does the state become ...mommy and daddy ?????

To me it is the mentality of a moron who believes that they can prevent very bad behavior with a law ... we both know if someone has an intent on doing crime then ... they will do it ....

all this has done is make everyone a criminal who is on the street ..... by criminalizing the act of living and being out after 11 pm ..... this is not Constitutional ... I know it and you know it ......

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

For the last

TIME

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

no offense, but:

Our repeated petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.

i don't think going to someone who routinely violates rights and trying to have a conversation with them about it is a good idea, free speech would probably be the next thing he targets.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by neo96

no offense, but:

Our repeated petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.

i don't think going to someone who routinely violates rights and trying to have a conversation with them about it is a good idea, free speech would probably be the next thing he targets.

Does anyone live in Clinton, Louisana?

No.

Do I or anyone have a say in LOCAL, or STATE matters not their own?

No.

Last time I am going to say this for some strange reason people don't want to read something that has already been said numerous times.

ANYONE WITH COMPLAINTS forward them to Clinton's Police chief.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The more a few people agree with losing their rights, the easier for others to be convinced of losing theirs and gives those in power the desire to keep striping them. Recent laws that have been passed support this notion, IMO.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
. . . like playing loud music, which isn't even illegal.

Perhaps you haven't heard of

DISTURBING THE PEACE?

I've never known a town that didn't have a law on the books about that.

And many of the gut vibrating rolling bass speakers

CERTAINLY DISTURB THE PEACE as well as damage hearing and other things.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Do I or anyone have a say in LOCAL, or STATE matters not their own?

this is not a local or state matter. it is a gross violation of U.S rights.

i am a citizen of the U.S who resides in a state. i am not a citizen of a state who resides in the U.S.

the 14th amendment is quite clear that states cannot pass or enforce laws that violate the privileges or immunities of U.S citizens.

in other words, this curfew isn't violating state law, but federal law.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
For those of you interested in the idiocy still going on in Clinton Louisiana, here is the lates from the Advocate, article below, by James Minton
CLINTON — While lawyers for the town and ACLU meet with a federal judge Monday in Baton Rouge to discuss the East Feliciana Parish town’s curfew ordinance, many residents are wondering: What’s all the fuss about?

Clinton’s mayor and Board of Aldermen adopted 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfews twice this year, with the latest set to expire Aug. 14 unless extended.

At Tack’s Barber Shop on St. Helena Street in Clinton, barber Ronnie Mack and a customer, Harrell Cambre, discussed the pros and cons of the curfew.

Mack said that from the talk he hears, most people “have no problem with it.”

“There have been some good results,” he said, adding that “There’s always someone to challenge it.”

Cambre said he didn’t particularly care for someone “telling you when you have to go to bed,” but he said people have to look at the results.

“I suppose I would be for it,” Cambre said.

Coming out of the Main Street Market and Deli a short distance from the barbershop, 23-year-old Tycara Bennett said she had no problem with a curfew.

“Because, after 11 o’clock, why should you, if you’re not working, be walking the streets?” Bennett said.

Main Street Market and Deli co-owner Muqadar “Mike” Sadaqat had a different take, saying he hated the curfew because it has hurt business at the town’s only all-night convenience store.

Many of his late-night customers work at the state prison and hospitals in East Feliciana Parish, and when they come through town at night, many of them want to eat something from the deli.

“It’s hurting business a lot,” he said.

The Louisiana chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday on behalf of Clinton resident and student Thomas Mead.

Town attorney Charles Griffin II, of St. Francisville, said Mead’s lawsuit is “premature,” and he questions whether the town actually has a valid ordinance declaring a curfew.

Griffin said he has advised the town to seek legal help through the Louisiana Municipal Association to defend the lawsuit, but he said the action taken by the Board of Aldermen and the town’s police only amount to aggressive enforcement of the town’s law against loitering.

He pointed out that no one has been arrested for violating a curfew.

Clinton native Mildred P. Worrell used a decidedly salty term to describe the fuss, saying the town has the right to decide how best to protect its residents.

“Why is it a problem for the town to pass an ordinance saying you can’t be on the streets after 11 p.m.?” Worrell said Thursday. “I just watched a guy stealing a lawn mower in broad daylight.”

Over at the police station, where an officer was questioning the suspected lawn mower thief, Police Chief Fred Dunn said that if Clinton doesn’t have a curfew ordinance, Griffin didn’t say anything when he presented the idea and the board approved it.

Dunn pointed to a map of Clinton dotted with pins of several colors, each designating a particular type of crime that occurred before the curfew went into effect. Some areas of the town have many pins sticking in them; others have none.

The police chief said Mead lives on Old South Drive, an area devoid of pins.

The biggest problem some residents of the street have faced recently is damage caused by feral hogs, which come out of the woods at night, root up flower beds and yards, and dig wallowing holes.

“Basically, people just coming through town at night, we’re not bothering them,” Dunn said.

But when an officer sees a strange car idling in a parking lot or someone’s driveway, he’s going to ask questions, the police chief said.

“It’s your demeanor that’s going to get our attention,” he said.

“When five people are hanging out in a yard, using profanity, and a man living nearby is trying to sleep? And, if his wife has been working late (at a state hospital) and comes home at 2 o’clock in the morning, does he want five people hanging around outside his house with their pants down to the knees and making comments to her?” Dunn asked.

At another convenience store on the other side of town, which closes at midnight, Craig Bertrece, the former Clinton police officer and retired state hospital security officer, said the curfew is unnecessary.

“The town’s not as bad as it used to be, and they have twice the number of officers that they used to,” he said.

Bertrece said the department should concentrate on community policing and not “inconvenience everybody with a curfew.”

Although Mack and Cambre said they did not care for the ACLU because “it has too many liberals,” the state chapter has had success in challenging municipal curfews.

The chapter extracted nearly $17,000 in attorney fees and costs from the city of Ville Platte earlier this year.

The city signed a federal consent decree after an ACLU-sponsored lawsuit challenged a curfew that prohibited walking outside after 10 p.m. V

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I actually live in Clinton, LA. I like the idea of a curfew. Clinton is a small town with about 1,600 on a good day. The town does not have tons of money to put lots of police officers on the streets 24/7.

For years, if not decades, this town has had problems with criminal activity, usually at night when there are fewer people out and about, to spot those among us who want to be "up to no good." This criminal activity included burgalry, vandalism, drug dealing, littering, drunk driving, underage drinking and driving (you have to be 21 to drink legaly in Louisiana) and generally disturbing the peace by riding around aimlessly with loud mufflers and loud music. In some cases it involved groups of people some above 18 but under the legal drinking age standing around in groups in the streets shouting, talking loudly and cursing.

When the police chief decided to institute a curfew, he did not say that everyone had to stay inside-- that is a lie.

The curfew declaration simply meant that if someone was out and about between 11 pm and 6 pm, they might be stopped and asked what their business was. Now common sense dictates that if you are NOT "up to no good," why would you be worried about being stopped?

I would assume that if anyone were caught in the middle of criminal activity, they would have been charged for that particular offense, not for just "violating curfew."

But all of this is moot now because of one disgruntled young man who got the ACLU to threaten to sue the town on his behalf. The mayor and aldermen caved in, and now the ACLU is going to collect more than $600 from the town "as part of a settlement"-- nice chunk of change for filing a simple TRO. Personally, I think that is what the ACLU was in it for all along-- to collect some fees for doing hardly anything except asking for a TRO, and helping to make the rest of us feel less safe again.

Now it looks like there wasn't even any ordinance declaring a curfew anyway. The police were just enforcing an existing ordinance aganist vagrancy, but were doing it between 11 pm and 6 am. I and several other citizens of this town will be attending the August meeting of the council and mayor to ask that they have their attorney research curfew ordinances and come up with one that will pass Constitutional muster, but will also address the 20-somethings who are breaking the law by drinking and being loud and obnoxious in the middle of the night.

People have a right to feel safe and secure in their homes and property, too. People also have a right to be able to sleep at night without their peace being disturbed. And yes, I have been a victim of crimes in the night in Clinton. My home and property have been vandalized about a dozen times, my home was burglarized once and one of my animals was attacked and injured on my own property. No one was ever arrested or charged in any of these incidents, but I did call the police and report them when they happened. The police did respond and take down information.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

this can be handled easily in a legal manner, combining the definition of personal liberty (specifically the right to locomotion) with the 14th amendment (states cannot pass or enforce laws that violate the rights of citizens).

it is a criminal rights violation.

This is right on the money. The law is unconstitutional and represents a local law that is outside of its powers. The size of the town does not matter. The problem is that if allowed to stand, it sets a dangerous legal precedent. The ACLU should challenge this (and should easily win and get the law declared unconstitutional).

Think of other situations. Someone takes a wrong turn at night, drives through the town looking for the interstate. Is pulled over, and now arrested? What about gas stations in the town limits, but maybe close to the interstate, who want to be open 24/7....

The better way would be to pass a law making such crimes committed during those hours, carry a WAY stiffer sentence, and make that known, and they should have a similar effect, without trying to overstep its powers.

edit on 6-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Clintonian

Personally, I think that is what the ACLU was in it for all along

You think the ACLU was out to collect $600?

Seriously?

Feel free to bring up my suggestion at a town council meeting...

The better way would be to pass a law making such crimes committed during those hours, carry a WAY stiffer sentence, and make that known, and they should have a similar effect, without trying to overstep its powers.

Should help solve the problem, without violating peoples' rights....

edit on 6-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If people are making noise at night then cite them for disturbing the peace. If the town doesn't want officers out at night for whatever reason, how can a curfew be enforced?

Just another case of I don't mind giving up my rights, why should you.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
The more a few people agree with losing their rights, the easier for others to be convinced of losing theirs and gives those in power the desire to keep striping them. Recent laws that have been passed support this notion, IMO.

YES.. bingo bango.

it is such a threat to even have such putrid behavior around, those OK with giving up their rights. Because by proxy, they feel it is also OK for YOU to give up yours..

AND THEY WILL VOTE in such a way, RALLY in such a way, and be the CAPO's in the camps.

they disgust me and deserve to hang beside the traitors they grovel to.

I never forget this timeless quote.
Men had better be without education than be educated by their rulers; for their education is but the mere breaking in of the steer to the yoke; the mere discipline of the hunting dog, which, by dint of severity, is made to forego the strongest impulse of his nature, and instead of devouring his prey, to hasten with it to the feet of his master.

Thomas Hodgskin

[I]
edit on 6-8-2013 by HanzHenry because: grammar

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clintonian
I actually live in Clinton, LA. I like the idea of a curfew. Clinton is a small town with about 1,600 on a good day. The town does not have tons of money to put lots of police officers on the streets 24/7.

For years, if not decades, this town has had problems with criminal activity, usually at night when there are fewer people out and about, to spot those among us who want to be "up to no good." This criminal activity included burgalry, vandalism, drug dealing, littering, drunk driving, underage drinking and driving (you have to be 21 to drink legaly in Louisiana) and generally disturbing the peace by riding around aimlessly with loud mufflers and loud music. In some cases it involved groups of people some above 18 but under the legal drinking age standing around in groups in the streets shouting, talking loudly and cursing.

When the police chief decided to institute a curfew, he did not say that everyone had to stay inside-- that is a lie.

The curfew declaration simply meant that if someone was out and about between 11 pm and 6 pm, they might be stopped and asked what their business was. Now common sense dictates that if you are NOT "up to no good," why would you be worried about being stopped?

I would assume that if anyone were caught in the middle of criminal activity, they would have been charged for that particular offense, not for just "violating curfew."

But all of this is moot now because of one disgruntled young man who got the ACLU to threaten to sue the town on his behalf. The mayor and aldermen caved in, and now the ACLU is going to collect more than $600 from the town "as part of a settlement"-- nice chunk of change for filing a simple TRO. Personally, I think that is what the ACLU was in it for all along-- to collect some fees for doing hardly anything except asking for a TRO, and helping to make the rest of us feel less safe again.

Now it looks like there wasn't even any ordinance declaring a curfew anyway. The police were just enforcing an existing ordinance aganist vagrancy, but were doing it between 11 pm and 6 am. I and several other citizens of this town will be attending the August meeting of the council and mayor to ask that they have their attorney research curfew ordinances and come up with one that will pass Constitutional muster, but will also address the 20-somethings who are breaking the law by drinking and being loud and obnoxious in the middle of the night.

People have a right to feel safe and secure in their homes and property, too. People also have a right to be able to sleep at night without their peace being disturbed. And yes, I have been a victim of crimes in the night in Clinton. My home and property have been vandalized about a dozen times, my home was burglarized once and one of my animals was attacked and injured on my own property. No one was ever arrested or charged in any of these incidents, but I did call the police and report them when they happened. The police did respond and take down information.

Your attitude is what has this country 1000 miles down the road to serfdom.
So everyone should be forced to stay in their home because someone took your stuff and hurt one of your animals?
Someone violated your property and you think that they will somehow respect an order to stay indoors after 11:00PM?
They are disrespectful criminals they dont obey laws!!!
There is no moral position that can justfy a rule that arbitrarily bars a man from exercising his freedom of travel and freedom of assembly. I am a citizen and I have the right to be outside at what ever hour of the day I choose to be. I have the right to travel on public avenues free of harassment from uniformed thugs for simply being where I am at a given time. People who are outside at night causing a commotion can be addressed by asking them to be quite. If they presist then you deal with them. Maybe that means calling the cops or maybe it means setting your dogs on them however you choose to deal with it. The point is its an individual who has demonstrated a lack of respect for his neighbors not a blanket assumption that all people are guilty and must be punished.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

HauntWok
Awe, you said ACLU, now Neo96 is all for the curfew.

To me this is stupid. That's not America. What if someone has to work at night? What if you are running late?

Yea, there hasn't been any burglaries except the people's freedoms were straight up robbed from them.

I came back and checked this thread I made and found this post interesting. In the town mentioned, there are lots of plant workers, Paper, petroleum, etc. Which all have strange work hours. There are lots of people that have to commute to Baton Rouge which is about 45 minutes or more away. What to do? Clinton is not a town fulll of old people that sleep in to 9am. I just cannot believe that there is not enough bitching in the papers or by the people. I have done a lot of research into this including calling a city council member. Her response? No one is complaining, that is it. I remember when I was a teenager moving to BR and was astounded that there were still "Blue Laws" which prohibited businesses from operating on Sunday''s. That law was aboloshed soon after, maybe 1986. These smalll steps at attempts to control the population are very concerning to me. Let us see how far we can do on a small scale and see where we get stopped? I cannot imagine trying that in Baton Rouge, it would be interesting though. We do have one of the highest murder rates in the nation. An excellent excuse to try. Little good it would do though, murder seem not to have set hours.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join