It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you prep for? (What SHTF scenario do you envision?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Of all of these I think Chinese invasion is the least likely..

Yep, that's why it is on the bottom of the list. Still, if ANY nation could do it, it'd be them, but not at present. Within my lifetime though? They will likely have the capability, if not the desire to do so.

Getting two diesel generators is a big goal of mine, but sadly, the budget is not there for it (got overridden by some other items). So, got pushed back a little is all. The big reason is the well pump. Without power, we don't have water, except for uncapping it, and using a bullet-shaped bucket, which still means no running water, and a pain in the rear to do. A solar powered pump would be ideal, but expensive (might as well buy the two generators). Eventually, I'd still like to go that route, but more bang for the buck with the two generators (and could also have power to fridge, and battery chargers, etc.)
edit on 26-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
my number one fear and nearly a guarantee is economic collapse. That naturally follows war.
edit on 26-7-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
House Fire

Your standard instructions from the authorities are to evacuate the home instantly. Which is how the minors are trained. But having a few preps can mitigate the damage. A fire department will soak your home to save it if they have to (and rightly so)....but it's the same as losing EVERYTHING in a flood.

little things.... your computers. diplomas and birth certificates. computers. guitars. all your groceries. every family photo. All of your toilet paper(!) No clean clothes, no laundry soap, no working washing machine (depending on the extent of the fire). No bed, no place to sleep. All your kids' homework( no, honest!).

Several fire extinguishers can save you fifty or a hundred thousand dollars. Some CDs in a $50 fire safe can preserve your prior tax returns, a list of account passwords, etc. A key to a storage facility offsite can hold your "camping supplies" that may be all you have..

56% of all housefires begin in the kitchen.

There are an average of 375,000 housefires in the US every year, with "only" 2,000 deaths, but 6 times as many serious or critical injuries. So you may be out of work for months after surviving a fire.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I tend to prep according to what is most likely to happen in my region.

Power outages.
Blizzards.
Freezing cold.
Break in/ burglary.
Tornadoes.

I realized long ago that, regardless of the scenario, many preparations are relevant among the whole spectrum of possible events.
These are the preparations to be done first.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

As soon as I reach my 20 post initiation.

I have way better information to post, when I'm able to post. I'm a friend of the person who brought to you "the Jesse Ventura Death Ray youtube audit investigation by an auditor, a 50 hour research project all in an 8 minute video"

And I have spent over 50 hours researching how to make a system 4 times more powerful than Harbor Freights 45 watt solar panel system, and for the same price.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Economic Collapse, War, and the real possibility of violent civil unrest, when the money is worthless, and the food becomes scarce, people will get real nasty, real quick, so i have mainly planned for that, but have taken in to account other scenarios too, over the last 20 odd years i have secured at least 6 locations that will serve me well, one of which is most definitely NBC proof and accessible within 5 minutes

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeEnergyChick

I have a harbor freights 45 watt panel mounted on my boat, I charge all my batteries while on the water.
I can run for weeks, months even, if necessary.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Back when the anthrax scares were going on a friend asked me what really scared me.
I had to think about it and came to the conclusion that something like smallpox would be the worst.

Natural disaster and financial collapse are things that people will get together and overcome as communities and families.

A lethal disease will divide and isolate people.
An airborne pandemic would cause isolation by necessity.
Most of the victims would likely die alone and in pain.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Several fire extinguishers can save you fifty or a hundred thousand dollars. Some CDs in a $50 fire safe can preserve your prior tax returns, a list of account passwords, etc. A key to a storage facility offsite can hold your "camping supplies" that may be all you have..

We keep two extinguishers in the kitchen, one in each stable, one in the garage, and one in our shop. We also have a fire safe. Another thing to keep there....jump drives (or a portable hard drive) with all your digital photos on them. You can always get more clothes, etc., but memories if gone, are gone for good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join