It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you prep for? (What SHTF scenario do you envision?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think most of us prep for a variety of possibilities (and most preps are useful in most situations), but no doubt, there are some that simply seem more likely to us than others. So, which scenarios do you feel are the most likely to affect you? In most of these scenarios, the scariest thing is going to be dealing with other survivors, who likely would kill you to take your resources.

For me: (in order of likelihood)

1. Job Loss - Sure it's a SHTF event, at least for me. Last time, my beginning prep ways helped us stretch our dollars a bit. That bit of success (and use of the preps) convinced my wife of the value of it. Likewise, in this economy, may happen again for either of us.

Preps include basic preps, renewable water supply, renewable food, stockpile of food and water, stockpile of other supplies, fuel, etc.

2. Natural Disaster - Whether localized or bigger, chances of a hurricane affecting us are fairly decent. Luckily, such an event would be short term at best, and well within our current supplies.

Same preps as above, but including window covers, and cleanup equipment, power outage options such as propane for grill, oil lamps for light, weapons and ammo, etc.

3. Financial Collapse - How we've avoided it this long is frankly a mystery. Of all the country-affecting scenarios I can think of, this one is at the top of my list. If and when it happens, it may take months or even a year to get back to some sense of normalcy, and that is likely being optimistic.

Same preps as with 1, but last minute stockpiling of commodities such as cigarettes, medicine, fuel, etc.

4. Government Takeover - Martial Law. Big brother takes over. Not much we could do here against tanks, planes, drones, etc. In such a case, all we can hope for is to not be noticed much initially, and then find a way to work within the system that arises. Revolution (unless major parts of the armed forces join it) is suicide.

Basic preps

5. Pandemic - I'll include the Zombies in this category, only in a "Rage Virus" like capacity. There are lots of contender viruses out there. Luckily, many modern techniques and global cooperation helps keep this in check, but modern air travel can mean a particular nasty bug, that has a long onset time, could result in a major pandemic, killing millions.

Same preps, but adding more medical supplies, more means of avoiding contamination (masks, goggles, gloves, soaps, etc.)

6. EMP Attack - If our enemies wanted to hit us, this would certainly be the most devastating way to do it. Just one weapon could cripple the majority of the US infrastructure and basically send us back to the 1800's. Like scenario 3, a big "downside" here (from a prepper standpoint) would be that without some big "kill off", you've now got the entire current population, all vying for very finite resources. It will get VERY ugly, and very soon. Also, like 3, it would take months or even a year or more to even get things going again. There are many of our current potential foes who could mount such an attack (China, Russia), or who are close to it (Iran, NK).

Same preps but adding spare electronics parts for vehicles, some devices stored in Faraday cages (most people have several in their home, such as ovens, microwaves, dishwashers, washers, dryers, safes, etc.). If expecting the pulse (such as we've been warned, etc.), more of our electronics (and our vehicles) can survive, but if a surprise, not much left.

7. Nuclear Attack - Very similar to above (5), but likely less devastating. Why? More than likely, such an attack would be localized, or spotty. Also, if terrorism, would likely be a ground burst vs. an air burst, lessening the radius affected. Also, we do have a missile defense system that could intercept a good number of inbound ICBMs in the case of a broader attack, though I wouldn't count on it completely.

Same preps but stockpiling some soil, seeds, radiation treatment supplies, etc. We're outside the affected radius of even the nearest likely targets, but depending on how many hit and where, we have a decent chance of survival here. It's the nuclear winter, radiation levels, etc. afterwards, which may get us.

8. Chinese Invasion - Currently pretty unlikely, but in my lifetime, it wouldn't surprise me. May even be more of a repo situation than an invasion.

Same preps, but add in some Chinese language tools, dictionaries, phrase books, and possibly learn the language.

I could devise a round list of 10, but really, these 8 scenarios are why I prep. Hopefully, eventually I can prep for all of them. With the recent addition of two more mouths to feed, I went from having 3 months of supplies, to about 4 weeks of supplies. So, I'm constantly working towards increasing that number (comfortable survival time). Within the next 3 months, I hope to be at 1 month of supplies. Within 6 months, be at 3 months survival time, and within a year, be at 6 months survival time. After that, just keep going from there, within means. Takes money and time.

So, what is your list? What worries make you prep?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Mostly I prep for 1 of 2 things, unfortunately the first is partly going to happen.

1. Job loss/Family emergency: Meaning hubby or I lose our jobs, or some family members have a problem and have to move in/back in with us. My oldest is moving home from Florida, no job, no car, no place to stay so he is moving back in with us. Which as of November, means part time twin baby boys as well!

2. Michigan winters. We have be lucky so far, but I just have a feeling that our luck is going to run out soon, and since we are in the country, we need to have supplies on hand in case we can't get into town for a while.

Don't really worry about much else. If it happens, it happens, and with all I do for the two above, I can only hope it will be enough.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
1-3 are good enough to prepare for, and if so in the process of preparing any of the other ones occur so be it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

or some family members have a problem and have to move in/back in with us. My oldest is moving home from Florida, no job, no car, no place to stay so he is moving back in with us.

Yep, that's why I have two extra mouths to feed. My stepkids (18 and 19) moved in with us (no job, no car). Luckily, they did both get jobs recently, though minimum wage ones. Still, they can contribute to the bills, food, etc. We even have a vehicle they can use, if they learn to drive. What the heck is it with kids today not wanting to drive? When I was 16, I had my license in my hand that day!

Don't get me wrong though....we're happy to have them home. Didn't get to see them for a while, so nice to have them back.
edit on 25-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Job loss
Natural Disaster
Pandemic
Financial meltdown

Pretty much just hedging my bets.

Although, I have heard that if you are prepared for a zombie apocalypse, you are ready for anything. I guess all scenarios would happen if that were to happen.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah, I will be happy to have him back, especially because I will be able to see the grandbabies when they arrive more than I would have.

And I really don't know about the kids today and driving. I was like you, in fact, I had my moped permit at 15! My oldest didn't get his until he was 19 (he graduated at 17) and my youngest still doesn't have his and he will be 21 next month.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think it will be War or Social revolution/Marshall Law before natural disaster..

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No Alien Invasion?

I would have to think that prepping in any form would help blunt the worry, stress, and shock from any event. I think starting with a general approach and then narrowing (specializing) it as the need or observation arrives. Someone living in the desert wouldn't have snow storms on the top of the list (although they happen), but someone living near a fault had better put earthquake at the top of theirs.

Good list!
edit on 25-7-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Nice list, didn't even think about #1

Here's my list so far.

1...I always keep my Fan at least 10 yards from my toilet Bowl.

That's about it really..

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

No Alien Invasion?

Same as Government Takeover really. Can't fight tanks, planes, and drones, so phasers and proton torpedoes are right out too.

Natural disasters is higher only because we are in a hurricane area. We are at least slightly impacted by those nearly every year. In fact, due to a lightning strike, I've got quite a bit of chainsaw work ahead of me, cutting up a tree that was hit and fell.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I prep for when my current GF throws me out of her place. It's just a matter of time in today's throw away culture; it even applies to spouses, lovers and facebook friends.

So I got the oil changed in the truck, a new foam pad in the camper shell and some protein bars.

Time to hit the road with my flyrod, my dog, my guitar and a smile on my face.

It's difficult to even consider a dystopian future when standing knee deep in a mountain stream, in paradise waiting for the afternoon mayfly hatch.
edit on 25-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I prep for Zombies!

So that covers me 1-8.

All very possible,All very likely as this country keeps getting ran in to the ground.

Given that we are living in a dependency based society where people depend on so many others that is a weakness that can be exploited in any number of ways.

The government prepares, so why shouldn't you?

Or do you want to be just like those people waiting for water to be delivered to you weeks later like Katrina

The SHTF.

They come in all shapes and sizes.

Survival it ain't just a slogan become the masters of your own fate.
edit on 25-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by abeverage

No Alien Invasion?

Same as Government Takeover really. Can't fight tanks, planes, and drones, so phasers and proton torpedoes are right out too.

Natural disasters is higher only because we are in a hurricane area. We are at least slightly impacted by those nearly every year. In fact, due to a lightning strike, I've got quite a bit of chainsaw work ahead of me, cutting up a tree that was hit and fell.

OT please investigate the ground around the tree for me? Fulgurites are standard but If you find any or anything odd or anomalous IM me.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the post and the thoughtful considerations.

For Me the ones I fear most likely are:

o a worldwide Pandemic, either intentional or via terrorism ( antibiotics are the key. However can be find to hard, at least my experience. Also, depending on the virus, some if not most of the antibiotics on the market for us regular folk would not help combat a powerful virus) You better believe the CDC has a stockpile of these remedies, and TPTB would be protected. But the type of Pandemic I am speculating about could kill more or even more than 50% of the 7 Billion people on earth. (some may say, not a bad thing) I'm just saying it seems to be very plausible and would ring terror of biblical proportions.

o An unexepected, undetected space object of such large proportion that would wipe out most if not all living organisms, this also coordinates with a natural disaster such as Yellowstone exploading, or some unforeseen Ocean calamity that could cause massive world wide destruction.

That's about a far as I've gotten. The other ones you have listed are certainly valid and plausible, but, my survival methods and preparations are in place and continue to grow. I also read extensively about overseas issues and try to anticipate trends that will affect those of us who live in the states. Great article and provocative!! Thanks!!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I prep for:

2. Natural Disaster 3. Financial Collapse 5. Pandemic and 7. Nuclear Attack (or fallout from Fukushima)

I don't think an EMP attack will be likely but electric grid can be fried from all of the above scenarios..

Of all of these I think Chinese invasion is the least likely..

All in all my supplies can probably last only a couple weeks at the maximum..

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I live near a major chemical producing string of company's..hence my handle.

There are winds that blow ,so gas masks and wet towels are available for H2S leaks.(wet towels for sealing the house doors and windows).

I;m on A lake so if there is any tsunami from asteroid strike or freak earth quake,I have a canoe

Seriously,six month's supply of water that I rotate every four month's and three month's of food stashed in case of economic collapse.

I don't own a gun but sharpen machetes for living.....just incase the americans attack

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

1: Financial collapse - I'm with the poster who said they can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

2: Catastrophic earthquakes - New Madrid Fault - huge dams on Mississippi and other rivers crumbling.

3: EMP of some sort.

Don't know if anyone is really prepared for the worst that seems almost inevitable these days with a gov't that's a bunch of lying, thieving douchbags......

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
-Natural Disaster - Mostly tsunami or hurricane, both of which I would have to evacuate so we have a BOB, as much water, food, cooking supplies and camping gear as my vehicle will hold without making me look like a target. I also have printed information on all things edible on our island, in case we run out of food before we die. We've seen how crowded the upper valleys and mountains get when there are tsunami scares and evacuations take place. It's as crowded as a tailgate party. Let's just hope everyone keeps that spirit of Aloha if it's a real situation!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
1. Natural Disasters
2. An Invasion / Occupation by the u.s

as those are the most likely threats here ...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Right now I only have preparations for power loss/electric outage. And that as of yet doesn't include a generator but provisions for light and cooking with propane.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join