It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
After reading this article about this officer getting fired for speaking out against quotas, I thought I would share with ATS and show that there still are some good people in law enforcement out there.

Source

Auburn, Alabama is home to sprawling plains, Auburn University, and a troubling police force. After the arrival of a new police chief in 2010, the department entered an era of ticket quotas and worse.

Hanners blew the whistle on the department’s tactics and was eventually fired for refusing to comply and keep quiet. He says that each officer was required to make 100 contacts each month, which included tickets, arrests, field interviews, and warnings. This equates to 72,000 contacts a year in a 50,000 person town.

The article goes on to say that there were recordings of his superiors giving orders and that the officer felt that by establishing quotas like this, police would be forced to "make up" reasons to meet said quotas which would infringe on public safety and civil rights.

Though he was fired, I would prefer he was promoted as he seems to actually care about the public unlike many officers that give the police a bad image.

Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Nice find. Sharing on FB.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What a shame that this man was fired, and apparently his story is nothing new. It never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to do for money. The Country is broke, States and cities are broke, and outright extortion seems to be widely accepted as a solution....Dear God....

Then we have to go and face some corrupt judge with no intention to actually review the case in a fair and legal manner because hey, pays their salary too. My Dad got some bogus ticket by a traffic camera....my sister looked up the video and he was clearly not wrong, the video couldn't interpret that traffic had to be re-directed to avoid a construction sight, we went to court armed with photos and his explanation and the judge didn't care, almost $300 for a traffic ticket, really?

Then if you don't pay or can't pay those tickets you'll be taken to jail when you eventually get stopped for some nonsense to fill quota's, or some unconstitutional check point and these cops will actually lecture you that YOU didn't do the right thing and pay their salaries, opps, I mean fines.....disgusting so many people are willing to be the bill collectors for "mob" opps I mean government.....

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

You're very right that his story isn't anything new. There are so many decent police around but many just go along with the status quo and try not to make waves. If the good ones would stand up for what is right then the officers that bring a bad name to police would be fewer and LEOs as a whole would start getting a good reputation again. As it stands, the fear of cops or being paranoid about doing something wrong is certainly something that needs to change for the better. I just have a hard time believing that it will get better before it gets much, much worse. I just hate seeing more reports of bad apples than good. It's sad really.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join