It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Idol - 9 Black Contestants Sue for 25 Million in 'Racist' lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm thinking this is a desperate bid for attention and free money from LOSERS.

TMZ - American Idol 9 Black Contestants 25 Million 'Racist' lawsuit

Ten black former "American Idol" contestants from various seasons have filed a lawsuit against the show, claiming they were unjustly booted because of their race ... and they EACH want $25 million ... minimum.

The contestants -- Corey Clark (Season 2), Jaered Andrews (Season 2), Jacob John Smalley (Season 2), Donnie Williams (Season 3), Terrell Brittenum (Season 5), Derrell Brittenum (Season 5), Thomas Daniels (Season 6), Akron Watson (Season 6), Ju'Not Joyner (Season 8), and Chris Golightly (Season 9).

The contestants' lawyer claims the show used the arrest info to make his clients appear to be "violent criminals, liars and sexual deviants" ... when they weren't. In fact, none had ever even been convicted of the charges stemming from their arrests. Worse, the lawyer claims ONLY black people were ever probed about their alleged criminal pasts ... never white people.

Candice Glover, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino .. all winners who are black.
** Not sure of season 6 winner - Jordin Sparks - ethnicity ...
So for 12 seasons of shows ... at least 25% who have won have been black.
The black population of the USA is 12.6%.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They're just failed singers clutching at straws.

Racism is no longer a prejudice, its a money spinner/Blackmailing technique as people seem to run scared when it is mentioned.

Disclaimer: "Blackmail" is in no way referencing Black Males, so please do not sue me for being racist.

Briles

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Anyone got any clips of them so we can decide If they are the best in the show or not?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. A lot of people cry "racism" when there is no real racism involved. American Idol has had a lot of winners who are black. Of course it is a reality show. How can we find out if the producers wanted to promote whoever they wanted to win regardless of viewers voting for their favorite singers.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Anyone got any clips of them so we can decide If they are the best in the show or not?

I don't know if youtube would have clips of long past American Idol losers or not.
These people weren't exactly the best of the crop. So I don't know.
The TMZ link I gave shows their pictures. That's about all I have. I'll try googling ...

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
How can we find out if the producers wanted to promote whoever they wanted to win regardless of viewers voting for their favorite singers.

American Idol would want to promote it's winners and they'd want their winners to present themselves in a certain manner. This is a money making thing so I'm pretty sure that's a safe statement. However, considering that one of the winners was a no-talent pudgy black man, (Rubin Studdard), I think the voting process is probably pretty accurate. He wasn't the most photogenic or talented person that year. But he won. Probably it was his really great personality. That's why its' 'American Idol' and not 'Corporate Idol'. Americans vote for the person they want .. but not necessarily who is best for the corporation to 'promote'. IMHO.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I guess someone should have told Randy Jackson that the show was full of racists.

That poor guy sat there for years!! Maybe he can join the lawsuit now that he got fired.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

But do we know if the votes are accurate. I recall reading about Chris Jericho mentioning how he was eliminated from Celebrity Duets because the producers didn't want him on the show. Regardless if the viewers liked him. To me shows like American Idol and other similar shows are more corporate based. Where they have more control in how the show is run and who wins.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Ruben, Fantasia, and Jordin Sparks would all be interested to hear this news too I think. Is this show still on?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Now that Simon isn't on the show anymore, I'm going to try out again!

A fifty year old singing Brittinay Spears songs is NOT WEIRD DAMMIT!

. . . . . . um. . . . oh yeah. . . . . the OP is right. This is just about making money.

(eta: . . . . like a virgin. . . . touched for the very first time. . . . . . )
edit on 25-7-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Anybody want to bet that the lawyer in this case set the whole thing up and recruited the plaintiffs, as opposed to the other way around. If so, the practice is called barratry and is a crime. After all, who would've thought there could be any tort claims of this sort after so many years - except a LAWYER!?

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

But do we know if the votes are accurate.

That's why I brought up Ruben Studdard. If this were a corporate set up, he never would have won. He was a tubby no-talent sweaty black man. But he had a nice personality which is probably why he got the votes.

At any rate, even if it were a 'set up' over the years, it wasn't based on race. At last 25% of the winners have been black and there was a black judge for many years. So the lawsuit is unfounded IMHO.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

That's you're opinion on whether he's good or bad. It doesn't mean the producers had influence in the process. They want to make money!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I have had a search and heard a few of them, good singers yes, original singers nope plenty with the exact same style of singing...nothing that special to me anyhow.
Just stinks of sore losers who are playing the race card to get in the spotlight again.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

That's you're opinion on whether he's good or bad.

Yes and no. I remember when he won there were people being interviewed on the TV news .. people in the music industry ... they all said that he had 'no timing' and 'not much of a voice' but a good personality. They all said that the other singers were better singers but that this fella might have a career doing TV shows or something like that because of his personality. So it's not just my opinion .. it's an opinion shared by many others ...

I think Ruben is proof that the voting is not rigged.

And the fact that 25% of the winners were black, and that there was a black judge for many years, shows that not only is the voting not rigged but it isn't racist.

As always .. you are free to disagree. That's fine.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Just stinks of sore losers who are playing the race card to get in the spotlight again.

Trying to get in the spotlight AND trying to rape the company for 25 million dollars. :shk:
Sore losers with no special talent. They should be ashamed.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Is this the correct Chris Golightly?

And I don't know ... I'm going to sound cynical but the reality shows in my country could be in trouble every second week. During the auditions for some I've seen them trying to encourage same sex kissing and all kinds of oddness.

I'm not sure how it works for Americans, but media companies can suddenly take a lot of things into account when hiring and firing over here that in other businesses it would be unacceptable. Too short, too fat, too thin, wrong 'look', wrong age, wrong gender etc etc etc .... I imagine these persons have a snow cone's chance in hell but I wouldn't ever say that producers and show runners are always nice ethical people either.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the American Idol crew were looking for specific juicy narrative sells such as recovering criminal etc ... Here they do a similar thing in auditions; always looking for the narrative to sell.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
since insurance companys always seem too past along their losses ,,, the thought of insurance rates going up for average citizens ,,cause this stupid show gets sued, makes me want to puke.....sounds like the lawyer may have a legit claim if ONLY black people were probed about their alleged criminal pasts ... never others.,,,,
but I guess its worth it if the show get canceled..
edit on 25-7-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm thinking this is a desperate bid for attention and free money from LOSERS.

[url=http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/american-idol-9-black-contestants-lawsuit-25-million-racism/#comments-fullwrapper]
The contestants' lawyer claims the show used the arrest info to make his clients appear to be "violent criminals, liars and sexual deviants" ... when they weren't. In fact, none had ever even been convicted of the charges stemming from their arrests. Worse, the lawyer claims ONLY black people were ever probed about their alleged criminal pasts ... never white people.

Sure it sounds like a joke until you read the above part. It would be like the IRS applying undue pressure on applicants of a specific political persuasion. There may be something to this. If it's true, then I hope they sue the sh#t out of American Idol. The same as if any other race were discriminated against. Hollywood is one of the biggest racial organizations on the planet, pushing their propaganda and hate in the crap they put out for the sheeple to watch.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Made my day with that post!

OP,

We wont know till the evidence is out folks. They have to have more than this to back their claim. Like Documents. PROOF.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join