It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by samstone11
My initial concerns look like this:
• A method to locate, entice, place, and eventually bestow appropriate compensation upon the right individuals would have to be determined
• How long would they serve?
• Should there be different councils for different conditions/situations?
• How many on the council? How many councils?
• Which aspects of legislation need the most attention?
• Where should these people come from? Different states, geographical regions, religions, races, ages, etc?
• What should their qualifications be?
• How would they be compensated?
• At the very least they should possess oversight where freedom, rights, liberties, and the constitution are concerned
• They would essentially function as a “bridge” between the three branches of government and the citizens
My personal vision would be similar to:
• Individuals of unimpeachable high morals, sensible approach to “right and wrong”, reliability, and a sense of duty would be selected
• Except under highly specific circumstances, previous politicians would be exempted from consideration
• NO government agency, branch, or individual would be immune from their purview
• In consideration of national security, I would expect that some specifics would be withheld when necessary (for ex: the NSA wouldn’t have to explain every itemized detail regarding operation Prism, the CIA would not be required to provide every aspect of operation Fast and Furious), but the true nature and intent WOULD be required to be disclosed
• Any person from the private, corporate, government, military or any other community who is found to have intentionally misled or withheld pertinent information would be subject to commensurate criminal prosecution
• I suggest anonymity if possible to prevent enticement, interference, or other intrusions on those who serve
• Probably short terms for the safety of those serving
• Such care in appointing individuals should be taken so as to grant absolute immunity from accusations of impropriety
o ….meaning if a group at this level of integrity deems it appropriate or can be convinced to accept a scenario that doesn’t fit the “rule” of law in favor of what sincerely is best for the nation, then it must be accepted---a fair two way street
• I would not endow them with any ability to create or write legislation, only what they need to enforce their directive
• There could be a national council(s) to oversee actual legislation as well as local councils to assist with more individualistic situations such as what happened to my family
I could go on for page after page with details, unknowns, and difficulties. I still have faith there ARE people in our communities capable of performing such a task with the moral diligence necessary. I think finding them would be almost as difficult as getting the government to allow it, but these people could prevent tyranny, government oppression, and so much more.
Of course this happening is probably impossible, but does anyone else see potential, or perhaps have another idea? If so, what methods, limits, procedures, etc. would have to be in place to give it the best potential for success? Is it possible for my son to grow up not believing the government is the enemy? I want to believe. I really do.