It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was asked/told by my Apt.Mgr today to 'Take down my USA Flag'.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I live in an apartment complex and in our lease agreement it states no flags of any kind and certain other decor is not allowed. Still, I see some people flying their flags off a pole attached to their patios/balconies. It's probably up to management if they want to enforce the rule or not. I couldn't envision the managers here asking tenants to take down their U.S. flags or Green Bay Packers flags...it's just unAmerican to ask that in these parts.

I fly my U.S. flag properly above my doorway inside my apartment so every time I or anyone else leaves the apartment the U.S. flag is the last thing they see before going out into the world.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by beezzer

Man some people have to turn everything into politics lol.

Its like coffee for you guys.

Tea, actually.

There's nothing to say it wasn't politically motivated.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
it sucks when you cannot fly your own nations flag . hang it inside your window and there is not much he can do then

As a former property manager, I can tell you that residents can not just put things in a common area and expect it to stay. If it can be traced back to a unit or tenant, then they will be asked to remove it. I have done the same numerous times - usually after a major sporting event or major holiday. This is not limited to flags, but also includes flowers, bird feeders, bike racks, and more.

Hanging it INSIDE of YOUR window is a grey area and one that you may want to try out.

As the inside of the window (your apartment) is not a common area, it can be argued that you are not advertising and it is not a sign or billboard. It is a flag and you choose to place it in the window because you don't care to see what is actually outside the window. It is not a permanent fixture to the property or to the apartment, and is your personal property that you will take with you when it's time to leave.

What should really happen is that the property should install a flag pole and have the Super maintain the flag daily. This way everyone can enjoy the beauty of our beloved flag.

If the property is a condo or a co-op, then there are by-laws that trump the local laws and are enforceable in court.

My 2 cents.

-E2

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lease in my apt also forbids flags as well.

Don't matter anyway, with the nsa unconstitutionally spying on us citizens, i no longer feel proud to fly the flag unless its upside down or has Snowden's face on it anyway.

Have fun w/ ur false flagging op

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Look at some federal laws.
And put that flag back up.
Print the law, frame it and display it right under the flag.
If they have any questions they can ask their congressperson.

The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 (Pub.L. 109-243, 120 Stat. 572, enacted July 24, 2006) is an Act of Congress that prohibits real estate management organizations from restricting homeowners from displaying the Flag of the United States on their property.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.gpo.gov...

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

The condo has to show reason it can't be displayed.

Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use
that is inconsistent with--
(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States
Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or
use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant to
such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law); or
(2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time,
place, or manner of displaying the flag of the United States
necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium
association, cooperative association, or residential real estate
management association.

edit on 25-7-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by Bootyac

If you don't own the property, and you've already taken the flag down, don't go out of your way to be a trouble maker.

If you want to be a trouble maker, I'm sure your apartment manager can find all sorts of other reasons, even non-existent reasons to cause trouble back.

If it's an issue for you and you want to hang the flag, just wait for the next plausible USA oriented holiday to fly it again. In the mean time, review your agreement and see what's legal.

Keep in mind; it's not your property. You own nothing. You've certain renters rights, sure, but, if it isn't in the renter's agreement, and the owners or managers want to make an issue of it, it could cost you court fees on top of other inconveniences.
It's easy enough for apartment complexes to arrange oopsie power outages, loss of hot water, and other things that they're "looking into" that will cause inconveniences, and make your life a hassle if, for instance, your alarm never goes off in the morning because for some oopsie reason there was a power outage (only in your apartment) at 4:30am or other such things like a power outage early in the day the entire time you're at work, only to come back on a little before you get home so all your food in the refrigerator is spoiled except, you won't know until you go to eat rotten food.

It's up to you to decide how much trouble it's worth to you.

edit on 25-7-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I'm glad our forefathers weren't wussies like this. Thank God they had resolve, determination, pride and a backbone to get them through these minor inconveniences. The wussification of the United States of America at it's finest.
edit on 25-7-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bootyac

If it was your fathers flag and he flew it in Vietnam, I will make the suggestion of framing it with a small historical plaque and hang it in a place of honor within your home. Maybe you can add your Fathers medals and Unit patches from that time as well. Beware, framing can get expensive, but it looks great.

Then go down to Home depot and get a new flag to hang outside. (If allowed)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
OP, I gave a star and flag for you bringing this harassment of patriots showing their patriotism to light. I hope you can stand for what that flag represents and honor the people who died to bring us the right to fly our flags. If you have weakness, just read our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Get your gumption and grab your balls, you might need them.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I hope you come to a mutually agreeable solution.

Hopefully by "clean up" they mean they're getting ready to paint the stairwell and don't want to mess up your flag.

Everybody needs to remember, we pledge allegiance to the FLAG, and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands. Not to the government, or anything else like that. As such, I feel it's quite nonsensical, and I take it a little personally when matters like these arise. WE are the republic for which it stands.

When we pledge allegiance, in fact we are pledging it to each other as well as that beautiful symbol that binds us together. Makes me all warm and fuzzy, and mad at anyone who drives any of us further apart.*cough*BIGSTUPIDGOVERNMENT*cough*.

edit on 25-7-2013 by tjack because: ...well....just because

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I don't know what country you are from we do have laws here.I used to
rent out my house to people.I would have had lawsuits filed against me
if I started to "oops" the utilities and whatever.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Look at some federal laws.
And put that flag back up.
Print the law, frame it and display it right under the flag.
If they have any questions they can ask their congressperson.

The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 (Pub.L. 109-243, 120 Stat. 572, enacted July 24, 2006) is an Act of Congress that prohibits real estate management organizations from restricting homeowners from displaying the Flag of the United States on their property.

This act does not give ANY rights to RENTERS of an apartment outside their apartment space. Any area outside the apartment is a 'common' area and can be regulated by the owners or managers of the complex. Many apartments control the drapery in the windows as part of the 'exterior view'.

If you want the above rights, then you have to own the property or only display it in areas that are exclusive to the renter (that is inside as the management can regulate everything visible outside the apartment as a 'common' view).

Sorry, that's the law, it sucks but that is the way it is. And I am not one to back down from a legitimate fight. However this one is not. Yes, again, that really sucks, but renters have no control over anything outside their rented space.

Be glad the manager allowed the display for as long as he did, that at least shows some tolerance. If he permits it for the next patriotic holiday, then he does have some tolerance...but he has to enforce the rules or everyone will fly anything they feel, and your apartment complex will begin to look like a third-world country.

Short...if you don't own it, then you will have to abide by their rules, and if your lease doesn't grant specific permission to use that space as exclusive, then you risk losing your battle and your place to live by showing defiance.

NOW - IF you owned the home, apartment, or condominium, then by all means follow the advice of the others here and let those stars and stripes fly, and be ready to come down with vengeance on anyone that doesn't like it!!!
edit on 25-7-2013 by lakesidepark because: I fought the law and ....I won. But it doesn't always work that way!

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lakesidepark

Yeah it does suck.

btw here is a helpful page on the law

www.caionline.org...

Interesting to note that nothing can prevent you from displaying the flag inside your own unit.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If you do put it back up, take it down each night unless you have a spot light trained on it. I can't believe how many people don't know simple American flag etiquette like that. I see so many people leaving their flags outside overnight in the dark. SMH.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I don't feel like taking my flag down unless it rains or snows, what is wrong with that? A flag sits in the dark overnight, so what? It's not going to get lonely or scared, it's a flag.
edit on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:03:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Why must the gays get dragged through the mud in every thread? Why did you bring race and politics into it?

Anyone else that it's always the 'usual suspects' who derail threads in that way?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

While I personally think all flag etiquette is stupid, it's supposedly disrespectful to leave an unlit flag out after sunset.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by beezzer

Why must the gays get dragged through the mud in every thread? Why did you bring race and politics into it?

Anyone else that it's always the 'usual suspects' who derail threads in that way?

*whaaa*

I was just providing topical examples of issues current where it is more socially acceptable to display your favouratism towards than the American flag.

Get a grip.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Who in their right mind would suggest that it would be more socially acceptable to fly a rainbow flag or a 'Treyvon Martin' flag (what exactly does that look like, by the way? A plain black flag shot through by a tubby Hispanic man because he was losing a fight he picked?) over an American flag in America? What evidence do you have to back up those outlandish claims?

I respectfully suggest that maybe you should be the one to get a grip. And maybe lay off the tea.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Sounds like those old weird rules, like wearing a hat or chewing a stick of gum being disrespectful lol. Never understood any of those things, never made sense.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by beezzer

Who in their right mind would suggest that it would be more socially acceptable to fly a rainbow flag or a 'Treyvon Martin' flag (what exactly does that look like, by the way? A plain black flag shot through by a tubby Hispanic man because he was losing a fight he picked?) over an American flag in America? What evidence do you have to back up those outlandish claims?

I respectfully suggest that maybe you should be the one to get a grip. And maybe lay off the tea.

Monger?

My post was meant in topical humour.

You want to fight? Go somewhere else. I'm here to post topical some-what funny stuff sometimes. Apparently you have an issue with it.

Sorry.

Here, I'll make it easy for you.

You win.

I lose.

The American Flag should not be treated the way it is being treated. My opinion.

Have a boffo day!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join