It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic methane 'time bomb' could have huge economic costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Methane belch

But according to the new work, these benefits would be a fraction of the likely costs of a large scale methane emission. The authors say a release of methane on this scale could bring forward the date when global temperatures increase by 2C by between 15 and 35 years.

"We are looking at a big effect," said Prof Peter Wadhams from the University of Cambridge, "a possibly catastrophic effect on global climate that's a consequence of this extremely fast sea ice retreat that's been happening in recent years."

Good to see major media sources giving what is probably the greatest threat humanity has faced for tens of thousands of years. Given that climate change continues to accelerate, an increase of average global temperature by 2 degrees C in fifteen years is very likely.

2 degrees C increase was what was predicted to happen at the end of this century. Here is a link to a map that discusses what can happen.

And this is undertating changes likely to happen.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Looks like the SWHTF in our life time.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Yet more science created with a computer model thats been fed with estimated/imaginary figures, thats given us Maybe/Might/Could/Possible/etc answers.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
drill it, and use it as an alternative fuel source. it might work, dont you think

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I posted the same thing earlier in one of my threads...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't let anybody else fool you... they're obviously blind to reality.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI
drill it, and use it as an alternative fuel source. it might work, dont you think

Big energy is indeed doing the basic research required to make use of methane hydrates. They're to the point where, following an international effort lasting over a decade, they know the basics of how it can be done.

It looks like Canada is losing interest for the time being due to projected issues in the tech not being cost competitive in the near future. But Japan has a unique energy situation and because of it they may be the first to aggressively pursue this technology.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Thanks for the link, I checked out your thread.

I have been following this issue for a few years now. More and more people are waking up to how big this issue is.

I have a few threads on the subject. It thought this article was worth a thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

I have read about Japans efforts on this issue.

It seems very possible a ship could tow some sort of harvester to pull ocean hydrates of the bottom of the ocean.

It could completely change the world economy, maybe for the better.

top topics

join