200 year old shipwreck discovered in Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
hello

A shipwreck believed to be 200 years old has been discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. It was 4,300 feet below the surface and 150 miles off the coast of Galveston Texas and researchers are saying it could yield insight into Texas' fight for independence.

Among the Items discovered were muskets, swords, cannons and clothing.

It was discovered by a shell oil and gas survey crew in 2011.

It would be such a fun job finding old shipwrecks or buried treasure, I wish I would have gotten into that field as a young man.

I'm looking for some pics will post if I find any.
abcnews.go.com...

Researchers say a shipwreck has been discovered 150 miles off the coast of Galveston that could yield insight into Texas' fight for independence

eta
edit on 24-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Good clear picture.

I wonder if those bottles have to go through a decompression period to prevent them exploding, because at that depth the pressure would be very high and hence may have pressurized the bottles.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I wonder what the depth limit is that they can still retrieve stuff like that?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Cool. Free treasure. Did I see a gold colored cup at the end there? After all this time gold color might be... gold.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

I wonder what the depth limit is that they can still retrieve stuff like that?

I would imagine if an object is solid there may not be a limit. But sealed containers like bottles etc, may over time get pressurized to the same pressure as where they lay. On bringing them up I would assume they'd have to allow that pressure to slowly release.
Wouldn't it be disappointing to see a 200 year old bottle of booze pop its cork on the way up.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

would imagine if an object is solid there may not be a limit. But sealed containers like bottles etc, may over time get pressurized to the same pressure as where they lay. On bringing them up I would assume they'd have to allow that pressure to slowly release.

I thought we had a limit on how deep we could get to retrieve them. 4,300 feet sounds really deep lol

and yes that would suck seeing that 200 year old bottle of booze break

top topics

join