It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CLIMATE CHANGING RAPIDLY!!!!! The North Pole is Now a Lake!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The North Pole is now a lake

o.canada.com...
Published: July 24, 2013

The north pole, that great bastion of eternal cold and barren ice, is a lake.

It’s a shallow lake. It’s a cold lake. But it is, actually, a lake.

According to the North Pole Environmental Observatory, the summer ice is melting away at unprecedented rates. The sea of snow is now meltwater....

...The lake at the top of the world is shallow, and is purely made of melted ice. It is not sea water poking through to the surface. But melted water absorbs far more of the Sun’s radiation than ice does, adding to the heating of the surrounding area..../quote]

See a time-lapse of the arctic winter, turning to summer, right here.

edit on 24-7-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Of all the places that are ice...never thought to see the day a small lake would make itself present at the North Pole. Now at this rate of melting, Santa will have to find another place to live...maybe vacate to South Pole?

This is insane....I wonder what the lake will look like same time next year???

North Pole Picture of Receding Ice

edit on 24-7-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm not worried about climate change or global warming at all.

It's a natural process that happens on every planet with an atmosphere. Man has survived such changes in the past, Man will do so again.

Still impressive pics. Fun to see nature in action.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

It's a natural process that happens on every planet with an atmosphere. Man has survived such changes in the past, Man will do so again.

Super, Super, Super ignorant.

Just because something is survivable does not mean theres no cause for worry. This could be disastrous

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yet the most amazing thing is what happens there during the winter months. The lake disappears and becomes solid ice. Simply amazing.

Thee is no global warming, or man made climate change as they like to call it now. It's all got to do with the sun and it comes and goes in cycles.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Lets hope this is somehow not true, If that fresh water hits the sea and the gulf stream

Scary times ahead.

Just seen the timelapse...

edit on 24-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blindlyzack

Just because something is survivable does not mean theres no cause for worry. This could be disastrous

Well, I think wiki disagrees with you...

The North Pole is significantly warmer than the South Pole because it lies at sea level in the middle of an ocean (which acts as a reservoir of heat), rather than at altitude in a continental land mass. Winter (January) temperatures at the North Pole can range from about −43 °C (−45 °F) to −26 °C (−15 °F), perhaps averaging around −34 °C (−29 °F). Summer temperatures (June, July and August) average around the freezing point (0 °C (32 °F)). The highest temperature yet recorded is 5 °C (41 °F), much warmer than the South Pole's record high of only −12.3 °C (9.9 °F).

Source

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
From the linked source:

July is the melting month in the Arctic, when sea ice shrinks fastest. An Arctic cyclone, which can rival a hurricane in strength, is forecast for this week, which will further fracture the ice and churn up warm ocean water, hastening the summer melt. The Arctic hit a record low summer ice melt last year on Sept. 16, 2012, the smallest recorded since satellites began tracking the Arctic ice in the 1970s.

So last year it was a "record" low melt and we might have some weather moving into the area? Where is this ice-melt located at that is pictured? The coordinates? Anyone? I didn't find that in the article.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Small lakes appear up there every year, its perfectly natural.
Talk about alarmism!!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

Yet the most amazing thing is what happens there during the winter months. The lake disappears and becomes solid ice. Simply amazing.

Thee is no global warming, or man made climate change as they like to call it now. It's all got to do with the sun and it comes and goes in cycles.

You are being so ignorant of the BIG PICTURE!

This is the first time I see a lake at the North Pole. All other melts I have ever seen of ice breaking up to show water between the ice cubes floating in the water.

If you look at my second post you can clearly see that more and more ice is melting. Over that span of time, the North Pole is much smaller now.

Once again, try to think of the implications of such a climate changing issue please.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Are you serious?
Or just uninformed.
Oh, god, you don't get
your science from TV and NPR do you?!

Here, try this.
Climate is caused by the sun
and Earth's relationship to the sun.
It's been known about since the 1900's

wikipedia / milankovich cycle

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

The North Pole is now a lake

Is it really the North Pole?

Exactly where is that camera?

According to the NPEO website, that camera is monitoring the "UPMC's Atmospheric Buoy".
But if you take a look at the map, then you see the green dots that list "...and webcams" are actually not at the north pole at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Anything that has the potential for changing the ocean currents can affect the weather.

It could create moderate climates conducive to growing crops or drought and starvation.

Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Doesn't matter If it is caused by the sun or man made, If the climate changes drastically we will have real life problems.
Floods, diseases and death, countless people displaced, the cost to the world economy.
People arguing If it is man made or not isn't the issue it's what may happen in the future to us all.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
More concerned about what could happen with the melt down this year and next couple. Methane is being released in large amounts. And I don't doubt their underwater nukes have helped things. Think that they have done a lot of damage and may have forced a rather large die off cycle. Unless they get smacked down by Higher Forces.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by Fromabove

You are being so ignorant of the BIG PICTURE!

This is the first time I see a lake at the North Pole. All other melts I have ever seen of ice breaking up to show water between the ice cubes floating in the water.

If you look at my second post you can clearly see that more and more ice is melting. Over that span of time, the North Pole is much smaller now.

Once again, try to think of the implications of such a climate changing issue please.

Others are allowed to have a dissenting view or perspective that isn't yours, without being ignorant or getting the big picture. The climate changing in either extreme, too hot or too cold, is bad, no doubt. BUT... as another user pointed out (alfa1), the picture is misleading because it's in a place where the ice is expected to melt.

Also, your 2nd post with the 1979 - 2007 picture doesn't show if one was taken in winter, and the other in summer? That would make a huge visual difference.

This source, which is a bit more reliable, gives a bit more context. Such as this bit at the end:

The Arctic hit a record low summer ice melt last year on Sept. 16, 2012, the smallest recorded since satellites began tracking the Arctic ice in the 1970s.

The thread comes across as alarming, when the facts point to the opposite. The climate is changing, nobody denies that, but rapidly?

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Link to those pictures? Just for records sake of ensuring validity.....

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah right back atcha.

It COULD be bad IF it happened so fast we could not adapt. There is no evidence of any major climate change event happening so fast we could not adapt. ( barring things like comets striking the planet) so nope.. no cause for worry.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Gee as a kid i remember the North Pole, was accesable by Submarine????,,or maybe just as far as the surrounding ice cape,land mass?,,,(Perry,,Admunston???)
Anyway good luck Santa,, gee their goes,,,that image

edit on 24-7-2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is a fascinating look into ideology. It is odd how we humans think we know what is good or bad for this planet. Is it just me, or is that a wee bit arrogant. How old is this crazy spinning rock we are on? How long have we been "making tools and babies"?

We may have some if not all responsibility for the natural evolution of our climate but, who is to say what the outcome will really be in 100's or 1000's of years. Why must this guilt trip being shoved down our throats continue? It is getting ridiculous how people act these days if your "caught" not recycling. Freaking get a life people...sorry, stop myself from going down a rant tangent...

Obviously one should not take their trashcan and chuck over their neighbor's fence, but come on...the Earth will be here, way down the line. Maybe with us on it or maybe with us not. Are you really that worried about "the future generations" or is just so you can feel like your fitting in with societies norms?

Live a little, don't worry so much about things we really have no control over in the end.

*ducks behind endangered sea turtle*

*standing ovation* Best quote of the year!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join